are you tired of IT line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Zplus

:dunno: So shuy, juz be best at wat u do. If u can shine in ur field it does not matter which field u go to. I mean if u go to law and u hate it, then don't. Whereever u go jus be sure u have a passion for it, that is wat makes u lasts when the times are bad n the competition is tough.

:D Hahaha! At least we all have a passion for photography! [/B]

i believe both r interesting to me... but i just can't imagine being behind a computer for the rest of my working life. :what:

u got that last point right tho!

Originally posted by shuy

i believe both r interesting to me... but i just can't imagine being behind a computer for the rest of my working life. :what:

u got that last point right tho!

Things change in time. Just imagine 30 years ago, where computers are just starting to take foot and everyone is trying to get into it. Now, computers are as common as your home tv, and some of us is already sick of it. Just think, you use the computer to work, when you go home, you use it again to surf the web etc. Therefore, we spend on average at least 8 hours daily with the computer. That's 1/3 of your life ! I can't imagine what will happen 30 years ahead.

Originally posted by ckiang

Those without initiative, treat them as production workers. Give them mundane stuff (like coding data entry forms, HTML pages, backup etc). Give them specs, make sure they understand, give them a deadline then wait. Check on status regularly.

Those with a bit of initiative can let them do more interesting stuff.

Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career. :devil: ;p ;)

Regards
CK

sad to say but it is a truth ... :confused: sigh office politics !

Indeed. Sorry for the interruption. I hate IT also but I am in IT line cos I thought I can earn higher pay which Proves ME Wrong!
Bull S***t for MCSE.....useless...attended the full course in MIS which made me give up...totally useless.....I can say its a test for English rather then Networking....:rbounce:
Hack care IT!.....spend more then you earn I guess.....better spend your $$$ on others....like Cameras...hahhahah;)
Cheers everyone...

Originally posted by art2d2

Things change in time. Just imagine 30 years ago, where computers are just starting to take foot and everyone is trying to get into it. Now, computers are as common as your home tv, and some of us is already sick of it. Just think, you use the computer to work, when you go home, you use it again to surf the web etc. Therefore, we spend on average at least 8 hours daily with the computer. That's 1/3 of your life ! I can't imagine what will happen 30 years ahead.

that's true too i guess. but i realise i love USING computers for leisure more than building them. programming can be a pain in the arse sometimes, and even DIY computers sometimes sprout illogical errors..... maybe not so illogical now that i know more abt them... they're meant to be dumb ;p

i'm a great believer of technology, and i think we'll be relying on computers 24/7 for everything in the future... but choosing it as a career is entirely quite another thing... ugh... i still can't figure out my scheme!!

Originally posted by MatthewSCL
Indeed. Sorry for the interruption. I hate IT also but I am in IT line cos I thought I can earn higher pay which Proves ME Wrong!
Bull S***t for MCSE.....useless...attended the full course in MIS which made me give up...totally useless.....I can say its a test for English rather then Networking....:rbounce:
Hack care IT!.....spend more then you earn I guess.....better spend your $$$ on others....like Cameras...hahhahah;)
Cheers everyone...

if you can live your life once again, how would you do ?

Originally posted by ckiang

Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career.

Regards
CK

Wah! Super KS man!!!:D

Anyway, for me I welcome a lot of initiative.... the faster they can take over me, the faster I can go further up!!!

So come come all you brainiacs!!! Come!!!

Muah! ha! ha! ha! ha!;)

Anyways, don't worry too much about the certs. If you have the brains, the cert just opens doors... after that its your brains...

Also, its a misconception that you spend all your time on the computer. Actually you only do that if you are a programmer ~ which puts you in direct competition with the Chinese and Indian programmers.

In fact most of the time you would be using your brains to think of ways to solve problems and present to your users and getting their requirements right. Thinking of the best technology for the job and also leaving enough slack in your team so that u can enjoy ur weekends free!;)

My cat escaped from her cage, climbed the computer table and asked me to play with her. I ignored her, she jumped on the keyboard and accidently hit keys that wrote:

bump :gbounce:

[B

Also, its a misconception that you spend all your time on the computer. Actually you only do that if you are a programmer ~ which puts you in direct competition with the Chinese and Indian programmers.

In fact most of the time you would be using your brains to think of ways to solve problems and present to your users and getting their requirements right. Thinking of the best technology for the job and also leaving enough slack in your team so that u can enjoy ur weekends free!;) [/B]

so most locals end up with management roles? hmm, that's not what i heard..
:dunno:

Wah! Super KS man!!!:D

Anyway, for me I welcome a lot of initiative.... the faster they can take over me, the faster I can go further up!!!

So come come all you brainiacs!!! Come!!!

Muah! ha! ha! ha! ha!;)

Anyways, don't worry too much about the certs. If you have the brains, the cert just opens doors... after that its your brains...

In fact most of the time you would be using your brains to think of ways to solve problems and present to your users and getting their requirements right. Thinking of the best technology for the job and also leaving enough slack in your team so that u can enjoy ur weekends free!;)

Unfortunately, I am a web developer, which makes me a programmer of sorts. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by shuy
so most locals end up with management roles? hmm, that's not what i heard..
:dunno:
If most locals don't end up with management roles, then I wonder where have all the singaporean programmers (not PRs) gone.

In my close to 5 years stint in Singapore, I have only met 8 singaporean programmers, of which 3 are less of a programmer, more of a manager (as per their job titles).

:Later,

Originally posted by Pinoy
If most locals don't end up with management roles, then I wonder where have all the singaporean programmers (not PRs) gone.

USA? Taiwan?

Originally posted by Pinoy

In my close to 5 years stint in Singapore, I have only met 8 singaporean programmers, of which 3 are less of a programmer, more of a manager (as per their job titles).

:Later,

Pinoy,

Have you found an alternative to DNS2Go now that it has become subscription based?

Originally posted by ninelives

USA? Taiwan?

There are a lot of foreign programmers in the US.
About half the people I met at Uni are contract programming in the US at the moment. Some MAY come back home in a few years.

It would appear US companies can get away with paying foriegners less than the locals.

Some one has even created a web site attacking the so called 'IT Skills shortage' as a con by big business to import foreign workers and pay them less than US nationals would demand.

In Australia more and more companies are contracting their software development to places like India, creating an excess of developers here. Offically however there is still a 'skills shortage' which allows these companies to get govenment assistance in giving jobs to Indian companies.

i was watching a documentary about netscape on NeoGeo. It talks about the company , the developer, and of coz mozilla.

To be a programmer, it was a very stress job . They rarely can rest or spend time with their family. after aol bought over netscape, a lot of the programmer. not because they don't like AOL, but because they need to take a break and do something new.

Probably lot of american also not keen in OT, so they hire foreign talent.

most of MS is indian, who are smart, cheap and if u screwed them can deport them... poor sods...

I was never bored with IT. It's my hobby, and I like it.

If one feels bored with their job, then I think it's time for them to switch to other fields, just like what happened to me about 8 years ago.

8 years ago, I got bored, working in a top hotel in Singapore, I switched to a totally unknown field - IT. I took it up as a hobby at first and loving it ever since.

When I start getting bored with IT, then I will switch again. Retirement maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.