are you tired of IT line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by rncw
I was never bored with IT. It's my hobby, and I like it.

If one feels bored with their job, then I think it's time for them to switch to other fields, just like what happened to me about 8 years ago.

8 years ago, I got bored, working in a top hotel in Singapore, I switched to a totally unknown field - IT. I took it up as a hobby at first and loving it ever since.

When I start getting bored with IT, then I will switch again. Retirement maybe.

Once an ITman, forever an ITman... :cry:

IT flows in my veins.... hee hee :p

What would the world be without IT? Will there even be a place like ClubSnap without IT? Hmmmm... imagine a world without IT... all the clubsnappers meeting at the coffeeshop every evening after work chatting over banal talk.... hehehee:bsmilie:

Originally posted by camerakit

What would the world be without IT? Will there even be a place like ClubSnap without IT? Hmmmm... imagine a world without IT... all the clubsnappers meeting at the coffeeshop every evening after work chatting over banal talk.... hehehee:bsmilie:

Coffeeshop...kopitiam....those were the days....

loti kaya gao gao.... :p

It seems that the market are over flooded with IT staffs.

Originally posted by Pinoy
If most locals don't end up with management roles, then I wonder where have all the singaporean programmers (not PRs) gone.

In my close to 5 years stint in Singapore, I have only met 8 singaporean programmers, of which 3 are less of a programmer, more of a manager (as per their job titles).

:Later,

if i'm not wrong, most NUS locals try to go for business focussed majors, like IS. they end up systems analysts n stuff, the PRs usually opt for the CS modules, to be in the pure programming line.

u are totally out of the topic.........

Originally posted by matthew
There are a lot of foreign programmers in the US.
About half the people I met at Uni are contract programming in the US at the moment. Some MAY come back home in a few years.

It would appear US companies can get away with paying foriegners less than the locals.

Some one has even created a web site attacking the so called 'IT Skills shortage' as a con by big business to import foreign workers and pay them less than US nationals would demand.

In Australia more and more companies are contracting their software development to places like India, creating an excess of developers here. Offically however there is still a 'skills shortage' which allows these companies to get govenment assistance in giving jobs to Indian companies.

I'll have to agree with you there...

There are tons of people who are not citizens of the US who are being paid less to do more work without benefits like health insurance or days off. Then there are the people who are on unemployment because the economy is so bad (especially here in NY) who figured out that as long as they are going to school full time, they can have unemployment benefits indefinately. And since it's not all that difficult to get federal loans to go to school, that's a popular route these days.

My boyfriend is a web designer and is doing contract work just to keep himself employed because he worked two blocks from the World Trade Center and was laid off with a few other people after Sept. 11th last year. Now his contract is just about up and he has a few freelance jobs but needs to find full time work again. With all the layoffs still going on, that isn't going to be easy.

I went to a trade school full time for a year to learn Novell, MS, A+ and Network + a couple of years ago and got a pc repair job where I'm working now making good money. I just became the supervisor of my department which brings on a slew of other responsibilities... Ordering, inventory, budgeting... It's ok for now but I'm almost two years without learning a new skill or going for a cert so it's almost time!

Anyway, just putting in my two cents even though looks like I'm a little late on this thread! :D

Pinoy,

Have you found an alternative to DNS2Go now that it has become subscription based?
No. I'm actually considering getting some cheap webhosting + domain service with differenthost but dunno if I can sustain the cost financially. You know, paying up is a painful thing to do. :D

<snipped comment> :(

Pinoy,

Go for sgdomain hosting. Prices starts from $10 per month. No setup fees. 50MB space.
I remember my brother paid less than $100 from differenthost, and that is for a 100MB space. He availed of the offer, IIRC, when Darren (? can't really remember who) posted about such price in HWZ.

Originally posted by greenfreak

I'll have to agree with you there...

There are tons of people who are not citizens of the US who are being paid less to do more work without benefits like health insurance or days off. Then there are the people who are on unemployment because the economy is so bad (especially here in NY) who figured out that as long as they are going to school full time, they can have unemployment benefits indefinately. And since it's not all that difficult to get federal loans to go to school, that's a popular route these days.

My boyfriend is a web designer and is doing contract work just to keep himself employed because he worked two blocks from the World Trade Center and was laid off with a few other people after Sept. 11th last year. Now his contract is just about up and he has a few freelance jobs but needs to find full time work again. With all the layoffs still going on, that isn't going to be easy.

I went to a trade school full time for a year to learn Novell, MS, A+ and Network + a couple of years ago and got a pc repair job where I'm working now making good money. I just became the supervisor of my department which brings on a slew of other responsibilities... Ordering, inventory, budgeting... It's ok for now but I'm almost two years without learning a new skill or going for a cert so it's almost time!

Anyway, just putting in my two cents even though looks like I'm a little late on this thread! :D

making good money in doing PC repairs? hmm, i think this is where S'pore differs from USA. our service n support sectors r considered relatively inferior places to be.... it does explain our apparent lack of service..

Actually, Help Desk is the bottom, answering customer's support calls. I'm second tier support and our company pays between $40,000 and $50,000 for this position to start. Help Desk generally starts at $25,000 to $30,000 depending on experience.

I do a little bit of networking, and that's what I want to do instead of this. But until things get better, it's a pay check every week! :)

I bump into a ton of them in US. I guess many go over to the US where programmers are more highly regarded.

Originally posted by Pinoy
If most locals don't end up with management roles, then I wonder where have all the singaporean programmers (not PRs) gone.

In my close to 5 years stint in Singapore, I have only met 8 singaporean programmers, of which 3 are less of a programmer, more of a manager (as per their job titles).

When their port workers go on strike coz they're 'ONLY' paid US$80,000 / yr...
hmm...... :dunno:

same job, different life :(

considering that cars and housing is cheaper in the US... that's a ton of extra money. :what:

Originally posted by chaotic
considering that cars and housing is cheaper in the US... that's a ton of extra money. :what:

:confused: I try not to think about it.

Oh, but housing in US not really 'cheaper'.
Their house also cost like $200k - $500k or even more. Some millions too. Depends on location. Very much like singapore.
BUT, the big diff is, their house is BIGGGGGGG... :dunno:

well, the "cheap" and "modest" houses cost as much as our HDB flats. ;)

but I think people in Singapore put a huge percentage of their fortune on cars and housing compared to similar counterparts in some other countries... similar to HK and Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.