are you tired of IT line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by afiend
Very interesting thread I must say...

What are the prospects of a computer engineering graduate nowadays?

I'd say, not good. Engineers are very cheap in places like China. And many companies are now hiring from there. A MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD certified engineer in China earns approximately 5k RMB there. The same person in SG probably earn S$4k and up. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

I'd say, not good. Engineers are very cheap in places like China. And many companies are now hiring from there. A MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD certified engineer in China earns approximately 5k RMB there. The same person in SG probably earn S$4k and up. :(

Regards
CK

where got so much?? your company?? ask them to hire me leh.

Originally posted by ninelives

where got so much?? your company?? ask them to hire me leh.

We have hiring freeze. Anyway, $4K is my estimate. Maybe overly optimistic, but you get the picture. (still no where like RMB 5k - no one will work as an engineer in SG for that amount)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by afiend
Very interesting thread I must say...

What are the prospects of a computer engineering graduate nowadays?

After the dot com, not very good i'm afraid.
there's a trend towards India & China for technical people. 3 yrs experienced, very qualified technical person from these countries are only asking $2.2k ~ $2.5k.
And they usually come with strings of certs like MCSE, DBA, CCNP etc...name them, the recruitment agency can find them for you.

We have hiring freeze. Anyway, $4K is my estimate. Maybe overly optimistic, but you get the picture. (still no where like RMB 5k - no one will work as an engineer in SG for that amount)

Regards
CK

:cry:

let us know when it is reopen again :D

for those who are in IT, are you tired and sian of it? For me, yes. As usual, we have to keep updating ourselves. Fighting for paper. My next course will be CCNA. Imagine when I am 45, I still fighting for paper/certification.
Never get tired of it. Boredom do sink in sometime especially when you've been doing the same thing (project) over and over (ie, maintenance etc).

When such time comes, for me, that means it's time to move on. :)

:Later,

Originally posted by wildhoney
yo junior boy shuy

was from computing. am now in banking.

so much for 'prospects'.

u can switch careers like that?? hrm.... is it cos computing's a versatile degree??

still leaves a bad taste in my mouth tho:confused:

Originally posted by Shadus

there's a trend towards India & China for technical people. 3 yrs experienced, very qualified technical person from these countries are only asking $2.2k ~ $2.5k.
And they usually come with strings of certs like MCSE, DBA, CCNP etc...name them, the recruitment agency can find them for you.

That's still a bit high, not as low as the ones I came across. :) Maybe they spoil market. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Shadus

1.5k can get liao lo. they very "cheap". they willing to work 24/7 . you ??? lol.

wat's the local IT industry coming to?? seems like it's turning into construction work... dominated by 'foreign talent'. ugh y did i ever want to be part of this?

They spoil market. What's needed is to tell them how much they COULD be getting and SHOULD be getting. :)

Regards
CK

well, at least u are not affected. I am still looking for a job. Engineer is so hard to look for a decent job this day.

well, at least u are not affected. I am still looking for a job. Engineer is so hard to look for a decent job this day.

YET. Who knows what's going to happen in the near future? Engineers are now easily replaceable, and cheap to get in places like China. :(

Regards
CK

;) Hehehehe, cheap China & Indian IT techy men do have one little flaw.... don expect much initiative out of them....
(imho quite rare to get one who can come up with ideas)

OK, some observations (my opinion lar, so subjective to a certain extent)

China/Indian Programmers
Pros:
1) cheap
2) 24x7 (almost)
3) can code
4) do wat u tell them

Cons:
1) easily misunderstand requirements
2) initiative rare

But i admit, its flooded with these people willing to work real cheap and its affecting our local fresh grads job supply.

Local Fresh IT Grads
Pros:
1) enthusiastic (at least initially ~ some genuine IT types can stay enthusiastic pretty long)
2) initiative (most anyway)
3) good ideas and think out of the box sometimes
4) so so coding skills
5) may not do wat u tell them

Cons:
1) may not do wat u tell them;)
2) not 24x7 (reluctant to put this here coz I aso not 24x7)
3) not cheap

:dunno: So shuy, juz be best at wat u do. If u can shine in ur field it does not matter which field u go to. I mean if u go to law and u hate it, then don't. Whereever u go jus be sure u have a passion for it, that is wat makes u lasts when the times are bad n the competition is tough.

:D Hahaha! At least we all have a passion for photography!

!
yall talking about upgrading...
:confused:
and i'm not even there yet!
to continue computing or venture into business?
:rolleyes:

:dent:

me too in IT. got quite a bit of foreign talent in my company. Some are fun and have initiative but most only got eyes for the screen - whole day.:what:

The certification just makes my life miserable.:dunno:

Originally posted by Skeez
me too in IT. got quite a bit of foreign talent in my company. Some are fun and have initiative but most only got eyes for the screen - whole day.:what:

The certification just makes my life miserable.:dunno:

Those without initiative, treat them as production workers. Give them mundane stuff (like coding data entry forms, HTML pages, backup etc). Give them specs, make sure they understand, give them a deadline then wait. Check on status regularly.

Those with a bit of initiative can let them do more interesting stuff.

Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career. :devil: ;p ;)

Regards
CK

Those without initiative, treat them as production workers. Give them mundane stuff (like coding data entry forms, HTML pages, backup etc). Give them specs, make sure they understand, give them a deadline then wait. Check on status regularly.

Those with a bit of initiative can let them do more interesting stuff.

Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career. :devil: ;p ;)

Regards
CK

CK, which company you are in? Just hope that one day i don't end up in your work place.:D

Regards
CK

welcome to the dark force.

one thing that bugs me is why singapore do not appreciate technical talent. is becoming a manager the only way up in the corporate ladder?

i find that the certifications mean nothing when the person knows nothing besides the answers to the frequently asked questions. Given an unknown situation, the person will not be able to solve anything. That is sad. It devalues the certification and now it's just become a necessity rather than an added advantage.

hr in singapore has to treat people better or people will look for jobs elsewhere like in the states.

just my 2 cents. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.