are you tired of IT line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the IT field is pretty compettive as always.

I think that technical skills are much prefered outside asia as I am currently having my toughest time getting employed as I do not specialized in anything, I am beginning to regret some of the options that I took. Maybe it will be better when I get back to M'sia.

btw, I am in UK and just complete my course.

A question to those IT guys...

Where to sigh up for the respective courses and what is the cost like?

Any good recommendations for training centers?

What is the current market demand for CCNA and MCSE like? And what is the average salary one can expect with such certifications?

Other then Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle and Sun certifications, what other revelant certifications should one take should he/she intend to excel in the networking industry?

What is the cost and prospects like?

Sorry for the interruption....CCNA is not difficult at all only need to know how to do subnetting and know all about frame-relay plus how to configure router such as "enable secret" for simulated question..... you will pass.

I got full mark for CCNA by just reading Sybex for 2 week.

Anyway I'm in HPUX and Solaris linux....that's where the market value is...you can't really have hands-on in this area at home.....Nowsday even saw some secondary and poly student got CCNA/MCSE.

Originally posted by ninelives
ckiang also in IT right?? programmer?

shadus, I know, but CCNA is not easy i heard......

shadus is a DBA btw . ;) /me whistle

Anyway, certs are good if you wanna open doors <= but u better be good in reality, else cert also won't save you.:(

There are still places for gurus if you look hard enuff. So far I see consultancy firms hiring gurus for their expertise like on a contract basis and some for permanant in-house (rare coz limited places and those that are there are pretty good). U usually see these at the beginning of the project and then they are gone to some other projects. :cool:

Typical IS Dept usually need a few gurus for these roles: dba, sys admin, security, IT direction, R&D, etc. Although I have seen enuff virtual gurus who are nothing but full of AI (translate to hokkian and u know wat I mean).... they survive coz most local managers here aren't really IT experts or don't bother to read up either. Quite fun to suan and play arnd these virual gurus if you ever catch one. ;p

Majority of the developers I know don't have a cert... coz in reality, most business solutions don't require a lot of sophistication. That does not mean its not good lar.

Technical path is a little harder to follow in asia I haf to admit... one tip ~ bigger companies has got more budget (can afford gurus), so if you are really good go for them! Catch is, quite tough to get in.

Anyway, most gurus i haf met in real life tend to be quite helpful, not boastful, have a great mind and really offer good ideas that work. I never needed to check their certs coz their work speak for themselves.
:cool:

Just finished my RedHat Certified System Engineer. Quite a good course and the examinations requires installations of applications/services and troubleshooting. I'm from a Dos and Windows background all my life and RCHE is a good course if anyone wants to breakout from supporting the Microsoft platform.

Furthermore, everything in Linux is free ;)

Originally posted by JerChan
A question to those IT guys...

Where to sigh up for the respective courses and what is the cost like?

Any good recommendations for training centers?

What is the current market demand for CCNA and MCSE like? And what is the average salary one can expect with such certifications?

Other then Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle and Sun certifications, what other revelant certifications should one take should he/she intend to excel in the networking industry?

What is the cost and prospects like?

If you are focusing more on network... go the Cisco path, but don't just stop at CCNA. At least must get a CCNP or CCIP or else it's quite pointless. Because nowadays many Secondary schools and Polytechnics are part of Cisco Academy program where students are train to be a CCNA .

You are in IT for how many years?

Several years... (hahaha... don wanna reveal my age...);)

Downers in the IT line:
a) burn out
b) dumb, irritating users who are v.high up ~ directors, etc
c) new technology ~ new flavour of the month; new darling of the industry

How to overcome:
a) take a break; go haf fun; climb a mountain; jog

b) live with it, they are there no matter what line u are in; basically 3 types of users:
i) those who like to talk in layman's term,
ii) those who pretend to know technical stuff,
iii) those that know more than you
i) and ii) are easy; u just need to know how to tell them apart.
iii) you better quit liao!:D

c) someone once told me: IT is like the fashion industry ~ one moment a certain look and style is hot, the next season its out. So if Milan; Paris says chiffon and hot pink is in... that doesn't mean its out there in the streets. And next season its out.
Eg, CRM, java, vrml, SAP, .com, etc, etc.

They're not gone really, its in real use, just that its not so fashionable these days... so don't worry too much. Have at least one skill that u are really guru at.
:D

CCIE and CCIP , CCIE is the highest right?

CCIE is the ultimate Cisco certification. Minimum salary expected 5k. Depends on the years of experience you have in the industry.

CCIP is just like CCNP, but focus on different aspect.

CCIE and CCIP , CCIE is the highest right?

Well, just imagine, SG currently got 76 active CCIEs... Any CCIE here?

Top Unis in US announce that there will be a max of 20% shortage for Comscience students in the next 3 -5 years. Coz no one wants to do it anymore.

Microsoft US needs 5000 positions... man...

Originally posted by shawntim
Top Unis in US announce that there will be a max of 20% shortage for Comscience students in the next 3 -5 years. Coz no one wants to do it anymore.

Microsoft US needs 5000 positions... man...

Yup, good help is hard to find.:heart:

Still I think quite a lot of fresh IT pple are finding it hard to get a job coz everyone wants experianced stuff.
:(

hi all..
i'm doin computing in NUS now.... but thinking of switching to law cos i'm getting kinda sick of computers...

may i know my prospects if i stick with computing? where can a 2nd upper in computing nus get me? i'm definitely more inclined to managerial positions, esp. seeing all the china students programming like supermen....

i personally find the IT line really tough, competitive and it seems to be only getting worse as more foreign talent comes in to take all the jobs.... definitely makes me think twice b4 sticking wif computing.

Originally posted by Shadus
oh, btw, 9live, u better not stop at CCNA, at least must hv CCNP. Coz CCNA too easy, people look u no up if u try to use tht as bargain chip...kekekkee:D

My wife passed the CCNA exam with out study/reading a book.
Rocked up, sat the exam got the cert.

She does have 7 years IT experience, 3 of it as a 'senior network analyst' in a place that uses Cisco. :)

Learning is a lifelong process... a 56 years old friend of mine (who's due for pension retirement in like 8 years time) still doing open University to get a degree... another friend of mine doing a part time diploma in digital art at the age of 53...
Just to share with ya ;)

Originally posted by canturn
Learning is a lifelong process... a 56 years old friend of mine (who's due for pension retirement in like 8 years time) still doing open University to get a degree... another friend of mine doing a part time diploma in digital art at the age of 53...
Just to share with ya ;)

I work at a Univerity - in a 'Faculty of Arts'. 'Mature Age', ie retired, PHD students are common.
They finally have time to devote to their chosen subject and time to do their research justice!.

yo junior boy shuy

was from computing. am now in banking.

so much for 'prospects'.

Originally posted by Zplus

Several years... (hahaha... don wanna reveal my age...);)

Downers in the IT line:
a) burn out
b) dumb, irritating users who are v.high up ~ directors, etc
c) new technology ~ new flavour of the month; new darling of the industry

How to overcome:
a) take a break; go haf fun; climb a mountain; jog

b) live with it, they are there no matter what line u are in; basically 3 types of users:
i) those who like to talk in layman's term,
ii) those who pretend to know technical stuff,
iii) those that know more than you
i) and ii) are easy; u just need to know how to tell them apart.
iii) you better quit liao!:D

c) someone once told me: IT is like the fashion industry ~ one moment a certain look and style is hot, the next season its out. So if Milan; Paris says chiffon and hot pink is in... that doesn't mean its out there in the streets. And next season its out.
Eg, CRM, java, vrml, SAP, .com, etc, etc.

They're not gone really, its in real use, just that its not so fashionable these days... so don't worry too much. Have at least one skill that u are really guru at.
:D

I've always wondered how come the higher up the corporate ladder, the more "idiotic" the people are, IT wise? :) And these idiots earn more than the rest of the people who probably knows a lot more. Of coz, they probably do have experience in some other fields, but still....

Regards
CK

Very interesting thread I must say...

What are the prospects of a computer engineering graduate nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.