S1/S2/S3 pics. thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I heard can use tissue paper as a diffuser, can or not har? Anyone tried?

Nope, you do not need a ring light. Just position the flash off the camera, closer to the subject you are taking. Also, try to use a diffusor on the flash, it makes the light less harsh.

Hey, I heard can use tissue paper as a diffuser, can or not har? Anyone tried?

yupz.. can. works for me.. however, if dere is a fold on e paper dat sticks out alittle, it mite cast a faint shadow.

Nope, you do not need a ring light. Just position the flash off the camera, closer to the subject you are taking. Also, try to use a diffusor on the flash, it makes the light less harsh.

ok thanks alot think that you and lastboltnut are both cery friendly and helpful.

I managed to get some 'bokeh' type of shots. But having trouble uploading them. I have too upload to the gallery before i can post the link on the threads?

I managed to get some 'bokeh' type of shots. But having trouble uploading them. I have too upload to the gallery before i can post the link on the threads?
Just upload them to any site that hosts photos. You can use the free CS gallery, if you have photos of small size.

No lah, just practising "...do to others what you would have them do to you..." Mt. 7:12.

So I hope you all can tolerate my lousy pics and help me by giving me your opinion to improve....but I admit I am defensive at times.....sorry for that, trying very hard to discipline myself in this aspect....please dun give up on me.:cry:

Thanks!!:bsmilie:

ok thanks alot think that you and lastboltnut are both cery friendly and helpful.

Just got an S3. A bit slow, but here's my try. Haven't got the chance to bring my camera out. So took this at home.

BW_Watch.jpg

I like macro, especially nature. Can anyone teach me some tips?

I tried taking a shot of a gecko at home, but it ran away from me. :sweatsm: How do you guys get soooo close, and yet the creature doesn't run? :dunno:

u trying to shoot me ar? O_O =x

Tips:
1. u move slowly and stay there for some time stealthy before shooting.
2. u use a zoom-in instead of a macro.
3. kill it 1st.
4. tame it.

Let me add to the list too!

- Find something that does not run/fly like a flower, plant, stone etc.
- Choose the stuff that are less jumpy... So far, I find dragonflies less challenging to get close to among the insects I have tried with.
- Plan ahead and adust your settings as much as you can before you try to get close to take the shot
- when you first start trying, look for creatures that are on stationary objects like the ground, rocks, railings, tree trunks etc and avoid the leaves, branches etc that move with the wind. The movement of the leaves, etc will often be sufficient to scare the creature into moving around and the challenge of trying to get your subject focussed will probably drive you crazy.

Really patience.....

Let me add to the list too!

- Find something that does not run/fly like a flower, plant, stone etc.
- Choose the stuff that are less jumpy... So far, I find dragonflies less challenging to get close to among the insects I have tried with.
- Plan ahead and adust your settings as much as you can before you try to get close to take the shot
- when you first start trying, look for creatures that are on stationary objects like the ground, rocks, railings, tree trunks etc and avoid the leaves, branches etc that move with the wind. The movement of the leaves, etc will often be sufficient to scare the creature into moving around and the challenge of trying to get your subject focussed will probably drive you crazy.

u trying to shoot me ar? O_O =x

Tips:
1. u move slowly and stay there for some time stealthy before shooting.
2. u use a zoom-in instead of a macro.
3. kill it 1st.
4. tame it.

LOL... I'll try SOME of your tips. :bsmilie:

Just got an S3. A bit slow, but here's my try. Haven't got the chance to bring my camera out. So took this at home.

I tried taking a shot of a gecko at home, but it ran away from me. :sweatsm: How do you guys get soooo close, and yet the creature doesn't run? :dunno:

So many things to say..... Actually, GeckoZ and boogle have covered some of the stuff.

A few things to look out for:

Focus: Best to focus on the eyes. Ensuring correct focus with the LCD is a pain though. You can try focus bracketting. Or you get a shot, refocus, get another shot. Do this a few times. Its a pain, but it does get you a few good shots out of the thirty you took.

Depth of Field (DOF): When shooting macro, the DOF is really thin. This means that the area under sharp focus is quite small. So if the subject is focused but you make a slight movement before firing the shutter, the picture will come out focused at the wrong point. This happens to me very very often. What you can do is set your aperture to f8.0. This gives the most DOF. (Only probelm is, this is not the sharpest aperture for the lens. I normally shoot at f4.0.) However, this also lets in the least amount of light, which leads us to the next point.

Lighting: To get 'frozen' pictures of insects & other living things, you need a fast shutter speed. To get a fast speed, you need lots of light. Which means bright sunlight, or an artificial source of light. "So I can use the flash!" you may say. That might not work, as the lens casts a shadow when the flash is used. I have a flash diffuser, it works for macro most of the time. Or you can get an external slave flash. The advantage of this is that you can light the subject from a different direction then your camera. Makes for interesting pictures if done well. You can also have a reflector on the opposite side of the subject from your slave flash. This will provide more even lighting.

Ill add more stuff slowly.... need to go have my dinner now.

Happy shooting! Post your pictures here, people are friendly and try not to scream at your photos. :bsmilie:

gecko? lolz.. use ur zoom. wldnT be able to take gecko wif extreme macro unless u attach a close-up filter.. den maybe if u move in real slowly den it will work.

macro photography is really tricky.. esp. wif a prosumer. e DOF is really shallow.. so if e subject move, ur hand shake or even a gust of wind wld cause ur pic. to become OOF.

preparin ur set-up for macro.. u haf to ask urself tis, do u really wan to take macro? or izit juz a passin phaze? if u're really into it, invest.. get close-up filters like e canon 250D or 500D or third parties one like e Raynox DCR250. u nid an adapter for ur S3 if u dun haf one currently.. as macro requires quite a high shutter speed to freeze ur subject, normal lightin wld nt be sufficient unless on bright days. u mite require a slave flash together wif a bracket (usually comes together).. two mite be better if u wan almost 'shadow-less' pictures. if possible or if budget allows, get two slave flashes dat has manual settins and get omni-bounce or create diffuser for them (to prevent harsh direct lighting).

in e field, u nid patience as well.. findin a bug can take u minutes but all it takes is a slight second of sudden movement and ur time is wasted. u haf to look for bugs.. it's better to practise wif e bigger ones first. i for one like to take pictures of dragonflies.. nt only becoz it is big, it always flies back to e same perch if u notice. so u can move in and if it flies away, make use of e time and move closer.. when it return, make small movement to composite ur shot. wif a close-up filter, u're allowed to zoom to max.. den u sway ur body back and forth until e subject appears sharp. do note dat eye sharpness can make or break ur shot.. if u wan shadow-less shots, a macro guru here taught me how to do it. mount one flash on e bracket, preferably on e left.. hold e other flash wif ur left hand and bring it to e right of ur camera. u can let ur setup rest on ur left forearm for support..

use manual mode.. try to kip e shutter speed between 1/80-1/200. aperture at f8.0 for decent DOF.. ISO best kept at 80 if u wan less noise on ur shot. build-in flash intensity arnd -2/3.. and manual flashes abt. 1/16 or 1/8 (dependin on available light).

yupz.. all in all, juz kip ur eyes peeled for bugs. let ur creativity flow and enjoy capturin macro pics.. and dun forget to practise and practise. to improve ur skill.. and to build patience.

hope tis helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.