S1/S2/S3 pics. thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an S3. A bit slow, but here's my try. Haven't got the chance to bring my camera out. So took this at home.

BW_Watch.jpg

I like macro, especially nature. Can anyone teach me some tips?

I tried taking a shot of a gecko at home, but it ran away from me. :sweatsm: How do you guys get soooo close, and yet the creature doesn't run? :dunno:

how much did it cost ya for the S3 ?

It's wonderful when the old birds give advice to guys who just got a new cam.
Hmm nearly sold my s3 to finance a purchase of a 400D. but i took the cam today and felt i havent grasp how to use s3 well. Gee. But will be getting f30 though for taking night shots.

Hai it will be a long while before i get a DSLR

Just got an S3. A bit slow, but here's my try. Haven't got the chance to bring my camera out. So took this at home.

BW_Watch.jpg

I like macro, especially nature. Can anyone teach me some tips?

I tried taking a shot of a gecko at home, but it ran away from me. :sweatsm: How do you guys get soooo close, and yet the creature doesn't run? :dunno:

neways, wif regards to ur shot, it's nice for someone who has juz started usin e camera.. colors are dere. sharpness is dere too.. depth of field is a wee to shallow. wld prefer e whole watch face to be sharp.. but datz e limit of f8.0 (assumin u used dat). e only nitpick is i wld prefer e watch nt to be cropped off (note e left side)..

It's wonderful when the old birds give advice to guys who just got a new cam.
Hmm nearly sold my s3 to finance a purchase of a 400D. but i took the cam today and felt i havent grasp how to use s3 well. Gee. But will be getting f30 though for taking night shots.

Hai it will be a long while before i get a DSLR

well, as many DSLR user wld tell u, gettin e body itself is like a scratch to e surface of ur wallet.. it's e start to diggin deeper and deeper into ur pocket to get accessories and lenses. start by fully utilizin ur S3 first.. see wat range u shoot at, wat f. stop, wat u nid. and when u jump ship, get wat u really nid and nt waste money gettin wat u dun nid or under-utilize..

well, as many DSLR user wld tell u, gettin e body itself is like a scratch to e surface of ur wallet.. it's e start to diggin deeper and deeper into ur pocket to get accessories and lenses. start by fully utilizin ur S3 first.. see wat range u shoot at, wat f. stop, wat u nid. and when u jump ship, get wat u really nid and nt waste money gettin wat u dun nid or under-utilize..
This is one reason why I am sticking to my S2IS. I can afford to get a decent d/SLR. I just cannot afford the BBB (Buy Buy Buy) Virus. Would end up spending quite a lot on good glass, higer end flashes etc etc. :sweat:

Also, its more fun pushing the limits of my toy camera. I mainly post images at a max of 1024 X 768, so cannot really tell the difference.

Yah, now I missed my S3 at times.....36-432mm, from Super Macro to Super Tele, all in one lens.....very convenient.....to be frank, it is the low light shooting that made me change to DSLR....I realised I need low light capability very much, as my home is not very well lit and I shoot alot at home, at my baby who is so fast in action, so slow shutter doesn't work.....only get grainy pic if I use ISO800....so, now I am waiting for my fast f1.4 lens...;p

But still, S3 is super convenient!!!:thumbsup:

This is one reason why I am sticking to my S2IS. I can afford to get a decent d/SLR. I just cannot afford the BBB (Buy Buy Buy) Virus. Would end up spending quite a lot on good glass, higer end flashes etc etc. :sweat:

Also, its more fun pushing the limits of my toy camera. I mainly post images at a max of 1024 X 768, so cannot really tell the difference.

Yah, now I missed my S3 at times.....36-432mm, from Super Macro to Super Tele, all in one lens.....very convenient.....to be frank, it is the low light shooting that made me change to DSLR....I realised I need low light capability very much, as my home is not very well lit and I shoot alot at home, at my baby who is so fast in action, so slow shutter doesn't work.....only get grainy pic if I use ISO800....so, now I am waiting for my fast f1.4 lens...;p

But still, S3 is super convenient!!!:thumbsup:

Nikor 50mm f1.8 is a cheap and good lens. Too bad its now listed as discontinued.

Yeah, only time I suffer is for low light without tripod.

Yah loh, I was hunting high and low for the 50f1.8....now I hv ordered from Kho King (a fellow CSer) Malaysia's online stall for about $190. Just now over lunch, I saw it selling at JP HN at $205! Probably can bargain for 3year warranty!!:mad2:

Sorry for the OT...:bsmilie:

Nikor 50mm f1.8 is a cheap and good lens. Too bad its now listed as discontinued.

Yeah, only time I suffer is for low light without tripod.

#4 and #9 are my fav..
a note of advice to u, do watch ur flash intensity.. some are them have really harsh lightin. esp. #1 and #10.. and do note dat eye sharpness is really impt. for macro shots. #2 is lackin in dat..
however, nice try. :thumbsup:

looks abit underexposed.. maybe some fill light from the right would help..

Hi folks,

Have not posted here for quite a while. Haze is really sianz... anyway, this morning's conditions seemed better and I ventured out to SBG again. Fresh from the oven (also posted at Macro thread):

Taken with S3IS mounted with Raynox250

1) Patterns
Patterns.jpg

2) Peekaboo
Peekaboo.jpg

3) I see you...
Spider23.jpg

4) I see you again
Spider32.jpg
[/QUOTE]

C&C most welcome. Specific comments on composition would help too. Starting to feel a lot of my macro shots have very similar compositions.

Hi folks,

Have not posted here for quite a while. Haze is really sianz... anyway, this morning's conditions seemed better and I ventured out to SBG again. Fresh from the oven (also posted at Macro thread):

Taken with S3IS mounted with Raynox250

C&C most welcome. Specific comments on composition would help too. Starting to feel a lot of my macro shots have very similar compositions.

#1 & #2 How did you manage to get so close without it flying off??
#3 It seems to be looking towards the right side of the frame, so try to give more space on that side. Eyes seem a bit OOF.
#4 NIce sharp eyes.

Lovely backgrounds

#1 & #2 How did you manage to get so close without it flying off??
#3 It seems to be looking towards the right side of the frame, so try to give more space on that side. Eyes seem a bit OOF.
#4 NIce sharp eyes.

Lovely backgrounds

For #1 and #2, I cropped the original shots. But I was still quite close (tho' prob not as close as the photos seem to indicate). So far, these fellas seem the most "tame" of the insects I have encountered. I have also read many other Macro regulars mention that even if they fly away, they will typically come back to perch on the same place after a short while. So I just waited when the fella flew off and true enuf, most times, they kwai kwai fly back, when I am more prepared to snap. :)

Thanks for the feedback on #3 & 4. :p

Hi! I like your #1 and 2!! Especially the eye pattern of #2.

For #1 and #2, I cropped the original shots. But I was still quite close (tho' prob not as close as the photos seem to indicate). So far, these fellas seem the most "tame" of the insects I have encountered. I have also read many other Macro regulars mention that even if they fly away, they will typically come back to perch on the same place after a short while. So I just waited when the fella flew off and true enuf, most times, they kwai kwai fly back, when I am more prepared to snap. :)

Thanks for the feedback on #3 & 4. :p

I have a question on pic #4: why is the thin DOF plane not parallel to the sensor plane? it seems the DOF plane cuts across at an angle. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.