Pentax ist*DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohweeloon

May 2, 2004
Hi
Anyone know the price of the soon-to-be out Pentax ist*DS. I ask around CP, MS color and AP. all they say it the smallest and cheapest DSLR in singapore.

I also wanted to know.. I guess should be around the price of 300D :think:

i have placed a reservation for it at CP along w a 43mm.. but dunno the price yet...
anyway
shd be available by next weekend.
juz wondering.. will any of u be getting the kit lens? or the 16-45?

Spyer2 said:
I also wanted to know.. I guess should be around the price of 300D :think:

Thinking of upgrading (or downgrading ;) ) already :D

I guess the price would be around S$2000 without any lens (that's based on the price in the US).

Cheers!

Shops in Australia are selling pentax ist DS for AUD1250 (body only) or with Sigma 18-125mm DC lens for AUD1530.

Based on my experience, price in Singapore should be cheaper. :)

navy-jag said:
Shops in Australia are selling pentax ist DS for AUD1250 (body only) or with Sigma 18-125mm DC lens for AUD1530.

Based on my experience, price in Singapore should be cheaper. :)

I really don't think you can get the Pentax *istDs body alone for S$1560 (based on the current xchange rate) here locally ;)

i have compared the quotations for the various pentax lens offered by CP and they are cheaper than those prices on those online shops. so there is a reason to believe that it is ard the SGD1500-1600 range.

how does ist-ds compare with canon's 300d?

which is pentax top of line flash and how much is it?

If u r gg to be a pro, i would suggest u stick to C & N.
cos pentax is more for the enthusiast and ppl who r not into the mainstream or probably they juz like pentax.
its got slower AF, no anti shake. dun really have a fast lens beyond 200mm...probly no bty pack for the DS.
it only have a bright viewfinder, small n light body, small & beautiful lens(esp the primes) & backward compatiblilty.

if u r into sports photography, the DS is most probly not the cam for u as well cos it does not have AFC in other modes other than SPORTS.

btw the 2 cams. biggest diff is probly the viewfinder, startup time, the size, the MLU in DS and ISO 3200, shd be usable if the output is similar to D.
but 300D do have the portrait grip n bty pack and u can upgrade to e PRO series.
not sure abt the rest. but u can read up.
anyway the 300D is a good cam. (my office got 1. its juz tat i dun like it.)
better yet, get the D70. seems like a good 1 and the price is falling.
u juz need a good eye for good pics.

the AF360FGZ shd be ard 350 including GST from CP.

info on the specs n accessories can be found here.
http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/index.php

a more active forum w pics from Ist D & DS and output from various lens can be found here.
http://www.cameraunion.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=174911
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036

tiong78 said:
If u r gg to be a pro, i would suggest u stick to C & N.
cos pentax is more for the enthusiast and ppl who r not into the mainstream or probably they juz like pentax.
its got slower AF, no anti shake. dun really have a fast lens beyond 200mm...probly no bty pack for the DS.
it only have a bright viewfinder, small n light body, small & beautiful lens(esp the primes) & backward compatiblilty.

if u r into sports photography, the DS is most probly not the cam for u as well cos it does not have AFC in other modes other than SPORTS.

btw the 2 cams. biggest diff is probly the viewfinder, startup time, the size, the MLU in DS and ISO 3200, shd be usable if the output is similar to D.
but 300D do have the portrait grip n bty pack and u can upgrade to e PRO series.
not sure abt the rest. but u can read up.
anyway the 300D is a good cam. (my office got 1. its juz tat i dun like it.)
better yet, get the D70. seems like a good 1 and the price is falling.
u juz need a good eye for good pics.

the AF360FGZ shd be ard 350 including GST from CP.

info on the specs n accessories can be found here.
http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/index.php

a more active forum w pics from Ist D & DS and output from various lens can be found here.
http://www.cameraunion.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=174911
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036

I guess......being a pro does not depends on your cam....so about the C or N part is not true..... ;) .......as you said it...."u juz need a good eye for good pics. "

rgds,
sulhan

yes. All depends what ur subject of interest is.

anyway. Do yourself a favour and just test it when its out. compare the 2 cams n see which 1 feels more comfortable. i think that's the ultimate test.
Forget the specs. both these cams are way more advance than the M42 cams i have.haa.

hi guys

thank for all your info. can't wait for the camera to come out. will post my own personal review when i buy the camera.

thank

think it will be officially launched at the SITEX next week on the 24th.
those interested can go down to have a feel of the cam.
shd be ard SGD1.8K.

There are news of a new pro series cam *Ist D1 in the forums.. not sure if its true or not.

tiong78 said:
think it will be officially launched at the SITEX next week on the 24th.
those interested can go down to have a feel of the cam.
shd be ard SGD1.8K.

There are news of a new pro series cam *Ist D1 in the forums.. not sure if its true or not.

Prices in HK is ard 1500 with kit. If they release at 1800 i rather wait til this december to get in HK...... :sweat:

xdivider changing system? or maintaining a small DSLR for travel? ;p

It does look very interesting. The Olympus E-300 Evolt is a direct competitor.

mpenza said:
xdivider changing system? or maintaining a small DSLR for travel? ;p

It does look very interesting. The Olympus E-300 Evolt is a direct competitor.

Travelling. Tugging a S2 to travel is becoming a pain, even without the MB16. Juz came back from OZ with my fm10, a 24mm and my 601z. That would be what i consider a ideal travelling set. The *istDs can replace both of them, allowing me to bring a 16mm fish or 17mm prime and a 70-150 for long shots, with a optional 35mm/50mm for low light. I can swap that 50 for a 40mm pancake as a stay on lense. All that with a mini-tripod, cable release, fiters etc probably adds up to ard 1.5Kg at most using cr123s for the whole trip. The best thing is, it meters with old lenses, making the whole setup cheaper than getting a prosumer.

Now, if they can juz price it ard SGD $100 of the HK price.......

I'm most probably getting it in HK too, sometime around Christmas when I get there. From what i've heard from one of my HK friends, he said that its around HKD 7530 (SGD ~1.6k), with kit lens AND a 1GB SD card. :D

But i'm still probably going to SITEX this week to check out the thing up close first before deciding.

Who else is getting this camera?

I tried the *istD once before, and it already felt tiny in my hands... (By the way, I'm a rather short person, hence my small hands) With the *istDS, I really wonder if you guys would like the size really? :think:

Not to put off this camera though, its just my opinion... :)

nickmak said:
I tried the *istD once before, and it already felt tiny in my hands... (By the way, I'm a rather short person, hence my small hands) With the *istDS, I really wonder if you guys would like the size really? :think:

Not to put off this camera though, its just my opinion... :)

Its ard the size of my fm10, so i shouldnt have much probs with it. The whole point of it is a cam u dun mind bringing everywhere, even hiking or climbing.

Hear hear. That's the biggest selling point for me as well. I've considered the Rebel and D70 too, but I think i'll go with the Pentax in the end just because of its size. Its something I can bring almost everywhere I go by default, instead of something that I need to think about whether to bring or not. I hope to actually pair this up with the pancake lens, and bring the camera out in a small pouch almost wherever I go, so instead of having to think, "this is shooting day, bring gear, etc", everyday everywhere would be a shooting day. Sorta like a pocket camera I guess, but more capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.