Pentax ist*DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, I am waiting for the Pro DSLR from Pentax. Remember the Nikon D2X, its CCD sensor is made by Sony. I think Pentax may be busy with developing pro DSLR by the same sensor.
art2d2 said:
Pentax SLR user here, but thinking of getting the istDS soon. :)

If there is a Pro version coming, I think I have start some saving from now liao.. :D . But I believe Pentax will take yrs to develop it..

Maybe not so difficult for Pentax, remember Pentax's first DSLR, MZ-sD. It is a full frame one, but the project failed.
I think the only concern is whether there's enough person would like to afford the high price for a Pentax DSLR.
Spyer2 said:
If there is a Pro version coming, I think I have start some saving from now liao.. :D . But I believe Pentax will take yrs to develop it..

Top Gun said:
Maybe not so difficult for Pentax, remember Pentax's first DSLR, MZ-sD. It is a full frame one, but the project failed.
I think the only concern is whether there's enough person would like to afford the high price for a Pentax DSLR.

Actually it didn't fail. The prototype (officially unnamed but known to the Pentax community as the MZ-D since it was based on the MZ-S body) was working, but Pentax decided not to manufacture it. They don't see how it can be profitable when the camera sells for USD 7k...

Soon after that, there were talks of making 3 separate digital SLRs, each catering for a different segment of the market. Most people interpret that as "low-end", "mid-end" and "high-end" markets. So far, the mid-end and low-end markets has been addressed and I guess it's only a matter of time that the high-end market gets their body.

I think quite possibly, and this is my personal opinion only, that the high-end DSLR will appear 2 or 3 years later. What I'm wondering is whether this "high-end DSLR" will be really just a digital back or insert of some sort for their Pentax 645nII.

I've got my DS and one thing I strongly advise NOT to do is take out the focusing screen. I was too curious and got it all dirty. Now it has a tiny (but noticeable) scratch and I had to clean it multiple times to get it clean again.

so don't take out the focusing screen! Trust me, it won't be pretty. I'm going to buy a new one.

hey, i strongly agreed with you.. tried cleaning it a few times, but sometime, it just got worst....

k_istDS said:
hey, i strongly agreed with you.. tried cleaning it a few times, but sometime, it just got worst....

Yup.. I tried before when I owned a Z70 yrs ago, I tried to remove the dirt, but ends up sent to J&J for servicing.. :embrass: well, lesson learnt..! :bsmilie:

Hey everyone,

I've just returned from Hong Kong with the *istDS, which I purchased from Citicall at Mong Kok (cheaper than Wing Shing), at 6810 HKD, with the kit lens.

So far, I really love this camera, although I wish for more customizability in some of the menu options (e.g, ability to set 'n' number of seconds for self-timer, ability to set longer than 30 seconds exposure from menu, some others).

If you have old Pentax M lenses, don't hestitate to get this camera or the *istD if you're looking for a DSLR, it works really well, and is very easy to get used to. You do lose some features, but it doesn't really matter all that much.

PENTAX MUST PUT THE *istDS SOFTWARE ON THE WEB! I just don't get why they can't put the Pentax software available on th web at all. I was at my friend's place in .hk, and I wanted to show them the pictures I took, but because I didn't bring my CD with me, and I shot in RAW, I couldn't do it. It also dawned on me that is I somehow lose or damage the CD, i'm totally screwed. Dumb policy to not place the software on the web.

Heretix said:
Hey everyone,

I've just returned from Hong Kong with the *istDS, which I purchased from Citicall at Mong Kok (cheaper than Wing Shing), at 6810 HKD, with the kit lens.

So far, I really love this camera, although I wish for more customizability in some of the menu options (e.g, ability to set 'n' number of seconds for self-timer, ability to set longer than 30 seconds exposure from menu, some others).

If you have old Pentax M lenses, don't hestitate to get this camera or the *istD if you're looking for a DSLR, it works really well, and is very easy to get used to. You do lose some features, but it doesn't really matter all that much.

PENTAX MUST PUT THE *istDS SOFTWARE ON THE WEB! I just don't get why they can't put the Pentax software available on th web at all. I was at my friend's place in .hk, and I wanted to show them the pictures I took, but because I didn't bring my CD with me, and I shot in RAW, I couldn't do it. It also dawned on me that is I somehow lose or damage the CD, i'm totally screwed. Dumb policy to not place the software on the web.

U tried foto at Hong Hum? Supposedly the best source of Pentax stuff in HK (I suspect whole of SEA too.....)

xdivider said:
U tried foto at Hong Hum? Supposedly the best source of Pentax stuff in HK (I suspect whole of SEA too.....)

Unfortunately no, I didn't hear of this place (until now..). I'm actually hoping for a budget carrier in .sg to start flights to Japan so I can get my next lens purchase from Japan... :)

Heretix said:
Unfortunately no, I didn't hear of this place (until now..). I'm actually hoping for a budget carrier in .sg to start flights to Japan so I can get my next lens purchase from Japan... :)

If u are garang, try vpostjapan. Can order stuff from yodobashi (its in their list)

Looking at all this hype with the *istDs.. it has caught my eye.

I was thinking of getting a D70 but now that you guys keep talking about the *istD and Ds.. i just have a few qns

what is the crop factor of these pentax dslr?
where can i get more info about this camera and the kit lens that comes with it. (if it comes with a kit lens)
and probably the range of lenses that are available for the 2 cams.

yanyewkay said:
Looking at all this hype with the *istDs.. it has caught my eye.

I was thinking of getting a D70 but now that you guys keep talking about the *istD and Ds.. i just have a few qns

where can i get more info about this camera and the kit lens that comes with it. (if it comes with a kit lens)

Everything u need to know about k mount.

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

Heretix said:
Hey everyone,

what's the kit lens included? focal length range? that's a great price, really.
:thumbsup:

yanyewkay said:

Crop factor is 1.5x. Thus (using the example from the manual), if a 300mm lens is used with the *istDS, you'll get the equivalent of 450mm.

Kit lens I got is 18 - 55. I don't really like kit lens that much, I end up shooting using my old M prime lenses most of the time, although I use it when I need to take wide-angle shots, since I don't have a wide-angle lens.

Range of lenses, hmm, that's a wierd question. Basically, the *istD and *istDS mounts all Pentax lenses since... hmm, from those a long time ago. :) Using my old late 70's M-lenses is no problem at all on the *istDS.

nad said:
what's the kit lens included? focal length range? that's a great price, really.
:thumbsup:

Uh, though this is a cross-post, i'll indulge. :)

I have the 18 - 55 lens included in my HKD 6810 package. I can't remember how much the body only kit is, but I don't think its going to be that much lower TBH.

After I process my 4GB's of shots from HK, i'll post it somewhere. :)

hi guy

i will be going to HKG end of this month. does anyone out there know any cheapest and honest camera shop in HKG. will appreciate if you can give me the address.

thank

kohweeloon said:
hi guy

i will be going to HKG end of this month. does anyone out there know any cheapest and honest camera shop in HKG. will appreciate if you can give me the address.

thank

http://www.ygdragon.net/shops.htm

from pentax forums in HK, the 2 shings, dcfever and foto (supposedly the best stocked) comes highly recommended

xdivider said:
http://www.ygdragon.net/shops.htm

from pentax forums in HK, the 2 shings, dcfever and foto (supposedly the best stocked) comes highly recommended

Don't forget to shop around! The entire street outside of Mong Kok MTR where all the camera shops are have quite competitive prices. Don't think you can really bargain, but the list price differences between some shops there is quite incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.