It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
With some people, there is some sorta disconnect between what they are thinking and what they are typing. They may think and speak correctly but type the wrong thing. I remember speaking with someone who would say 'shutter' in conversation but online, would consistenly type 'shuttle'. :dunno:

My GP teacher hated the way I spoke (/speak). She said my spoken English is terrible. Two different modes lah. People-to-people, I speak the england actually is quite terrible one.

food for thought....

no doubt we all should strive to better our command of English.... but..

is it better to be understood by the person(s) you are addressing, or just being linguistically correct?

as my neighbourhood beng will say....

knn, li kong simi lan ji@o?

Dear folks,
I find it funny so many people can't get the spelling right...

Correct spelling: L-E-N-S (singular); L-E-N-S-E-S (plural)

not L-E-N-S-E, not L-E-N.

I hope this is useful. Cheers!

btw... finding it funny is condescending.....

both forms of word usage is correct - depending on which camp you belong to.

there are common mistakes like "so many work to do", "so many hype", and "Me love you long time." :bsmilie:

Something related .....

It's 不要紧, not 不用紧.

I'm shocked to hear some Chinese language teachers and 933 DJs themselves making this mistake.

BTW, it is correct for people who WTB to give a quote? Or should it be an offer/bid? I don't think they can be used interchangeably?

It's quite weird seeing the seller putting "Received several quotes" all the time when only the provider of the product/service should quote, not the buyer =p

This is an open forum, and I do not recall anything about grammar being mentioned in the rules and regulations, why make an issue out of it, some people may be more comfortable with mandarin but made effort to engage in discussions on the forum, we should applaud them for trying rather than be so snobbish. Must we pass a grammar test before we are allowed to join as member?....whether on board or on the board.....I struggle with my grammar too, being a Malaysian, where English is my second language.

This is an open forum, and I do not recall anything about grammar being mentioned in the rules and regulations, why make an issue out of it, some people may be more comfortable with mandarin but made effort to engage in discussions on the forum, we should applaud them for trying rather than be so snobbish. Must we pass a grammar test before we are allowed to join as member?....whether on board or on the board.....I struggle with my grammar too, being a Malaysian, where English is my second language.
so why did straits times start the "English as it is broken" column in straits times? does one have to speak perfect english before we can consider ourselves singaporeans? :dunno: you can skip this thread if you're not comfortable with it...

so why did straits times start the "English as it is broken" column in straits times? does one have to speak perfect english before we can consider ourselves singaporeans? :dunno: you can skip this thread if you're not comfortable with it...

I am not sure where you come from, but this is not Strait Times, I am not saying I am not uncomfotable, just want to make a point that, everyone is entitle to speak out in a forum regardless of their language abilities, should we gag people because they are not perfect in their grammar? I am confused with your line of argument, Come on get real, if you are uncomfortable with the lack of consistent grammar, STAY OUT yourself.

oops just realised that this is YOUR THREAD....No problem, if you have a problem with my points, then I'll stay out......no need to be so defensive with your flawed arguments....perhaps you should put down on the title....For those with proper grammar only!

perhaps you might want to read back and find out who the TS is...;)

and turn to your lifestyle section of ST and find that column yourself.

yes everyone is entitled to speak their style, and anyone is free to correct their mistakes. it's up to you whether you want to accept others' corrections, or you're too _____ to accept them.

if you find any grammatical error which disturbs you deeply in another thread, i guess it's always better to point it out in that thread itself, or use the pm function. why put it here for all to see?

perhaps you might want to read back and find out who the TS is...;)

and turn to your lifestyle section of ST and find that column yourself.

yes everyone is entitled to speak their style, and anyone is free to correct their mistakes. it's up to you whether you want to accept others' corrections, or you're too _____ to accept them.

.....if you check the my earlier posts, I did mentioned that I struggle with my grammar too, why pick on others on their grammar ablilities in an open forum, even in exams, examiners are told to overlook grammar flaws in certain subjects, as long as the arguments make sense or contents are there. We are here to here knowledge and experience, by picking out and examples from across the forum, you are making some people conscious, and possibly discourage people from speaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.