D7100 User thread

I have sold my D7100, but based on experience when buying it then, there were 2 sets with dusts on sensor and/or focusing screen. No oil issue though, and if you are particular, just make sure you get a local set as comes with warranty.

that's quite a high percentage. has Nikon somehow become less concerned with product QC lately.:(

That is an unfair evaluation because:

1. The sample size, if you are referring to the Nikon D7100, is very low.

2. It is only dust. Simply blow it away or do a simple sensor cleaning operation.

My own search on Google revealed that:

1. There aren't that many hits
2. They forum posts on this topic are primarily found in the period of Mar - Apr.
3. Many forums who contains such posts conclude that it is not oil, but dust.

Perhaps my search is not as comprehensive, but I certainly do not think there is cause for alarm.

My own search on Google revealed that:

1. There aren't that many hits
2. They forum posts on this topic are primarily found in the period of Mar - Apr.
3. Many forums who contains such posts conclude that it is not oil, but dust.

Perhaps my search is not as comprehensive, but I certainly do not think there is cause for alarm.

Not a big concern for me, just wanting to get some input. Have decided to get a set anyway this week, just deciding where to buy. At the moment DD Electronics seems to have the best deal with their own 3-year warranty, just don't know how reliable they. are.

I have a dust spot on my newly bought D7100, I can actually spot it on the sensor with magnifier.
The problem is I need to fly to Taiwan with my D7100 the next day morning, I have no choice and try to clean it with cotton buds.
It really solved my problem.
A happy owner now.

Thanks Bernard. I got it.

Wow. You very gungho. Cotton wool sure to scratch your sensor.

I have a dust spot on my newly bought D7100, I can actually spot it on the sensor with magnifier.
The problem is I need to fly to Taiwan with my D7100 the next day morning, I have no choice and try to clean it with cotton buds.
A happy owner now.

A happy owner now.

They didn't move away with a blower? :O

I think so, too. Well, not the sensor directly but at least the filter glued on top of it.

Last edited:

I was worried about it but then decided to just lightly touch on the sensor.
I have double checked on the sensor with magnifier, no scratches....

No, blower didn't help.

I had one of those "glued" specs on one of my older DSLR as well last Thursday, it's with the service center now... :|
I didn't dare to touch it myself.

Last edited:
I had one of those "glued" specs on one of my older DSLR as well last Thursday, it's now with the service center... :|
I didn't dare to touch it myself.

You may have changed your mind with this video, pls search with "How to clean your sensor" in youtube.
They use motorized spinning brush to clean it and it works at 7:50.

So should be safe to use cotton buds with lightly touch on it.

You may have changed your mind with this video, pls search with "How to clean your sensor" in youtube.
They use motorized spinning brush to clean it and it works at 7:50.

So should be safe to use cotton buds with lightly touch on it.
Right, now I remember this tool for sensor cleaning. I saw it a few years ago. Does someone here use it?

Mine should be back (from Sony) tomorrow.

Last edited:
What happened to the sensor?
From Sony, not D7100 right?

Nothing I'm aware of. We thought it's just dirt but later they told me they have to replace the sensor. Interestingly they will do that outside of the warranty. Yup, it's a Sony Alpha.

Last edited:
Nothing I'm aware of. We thought it's just dirt but later they told me they have to replace the sensor. Interestingly they will do that outside of the warranty. Yup, it's a Sony Alpha.

Wow! very good after sales service.