D7100 User thread

Do take note that if you are not using 64bit for your windows, you will not be able to full utilise your rams even if you add more to it.

I just did a test on exporting my images and it worked well. I am using a Macbook Pro with 8gb ram.

Thanks for the tip. I'll consider upgrading to 8gb ram.

Do take note that if you are not using 64bit for your windows, you will not be able to full utilise your rams even if you add more to it.

I just did a test on exporting my images and it worked well. I am using a Macbook Pro with 8gb ram.

Good to know your system is working well. I'm using 32bit. I'm not sure if my pc can be upgraded to 8gb ram. I'll check this. Wish I had done more research on this before I switched to D7100. My Lightroom 3.6 was doing very well before I upgraded. haizzz.

I am quite sure that if you are using 32 bit, your os wont be able to utilise the higher rams that you are going to upgrade. :(

Good to know your system is working well. I'm using 32bit. I'm not sure if my pc can be upgraded to 8gb ram. I'll check this. Wish I had done more research on this before I switched to D7100. My Lightroom 3.6 was doing very well before I upgraded. haizzz.

Do a search on ur computer model and see if it supports. I also made the same mistake of buying ram without checking and end up wasting money.

I guess you will either need to change your OS to 64 bit, or get a new computer with 64 bit preinstalled. :D

I have 4gb ram (only 2.99gb usable), using windows 7 pc. What's your advice? In terms of disc space, I have ample. I save my photos on an external HDD.

I have 4gb ram (only 2.99gb usable), using windows 7 pc. What's your advice? In terms of disc space, I have ample. I save my photos on an external HDD.

you are definitely on 32bit os. no point upgrading until you change to a 64bit os.

Hey whitewabbit.
many congrats..
How much did you pay?

Just bought the D7100 from John 3:16 today.. first time chatting with the great guys there.. Sam and YS and i think i've got poisoned!

Current on the 18-105 kit lens atm... might be looking at the 50mm 1.8 as a spare set for some bokeh shots?

Btw this is my virgin attempt at DSLRs.. was previously on the S90... :)

Another D7100 user here. Upgraded from D5100. Trying hard to sell the D5100 with 2 kits and plans to purchase 35/50/85 f1.8.

Seems like the forum here for D7100 is not that active. I wonder why. 35mm would be good for streets and 50mm for portraits. I wonder what is your intention with the 85mm.

Another D7100 user here. Upgraded from D5100. Trying hard to sell the D5100 with 2 kits and plans to purchase 35/50/85 f1.8.

I'm leaving out all those kit lens (18-55 and 55-200) and aim for primes. So 35 and 50mm is good for me. 85mm is the only one I'm hesitating compared with 70-300. I don't shoot tele very often. Most of them time I use tele to shoot portrait from far far away.

Currently I own Tokina 11-16/2.8 (this is the only heavy lens I have), 35/1.8, 50/1.8.

my setup now is primarily composed of primes - 35mm, 85mm and 300mm. My sole zoom is the 14-24mm.

I don't know where you get the idea that the 85mm is redundant, as the 85mm is traditionally a key portrait lens.

Yeah. The primes are definitely nicer to use. I would love the 85mm for candid portraits on the streets so that you don't have to be too close to subject. But depending on usage it might sometimes be to tight.

Would love to have one if not for the high price!

Comparing to 70-300 f4-5.6 VC, I would prefer to have 85 f1.8 though I would sacrifice the tele end focal length for the sake of low light capabilities. However I wonder if 85mm can be used with TC-2X? I'm not familiar of using TC so I have no idea how much is the "magnification" on 85/1.8.

Comparing to 70-300 f4-5.6 VC, I would prefer to have 85 f1.8 though I would sacrifice the tele end focal length for the sake of low light capabilities. However I wonder if 85mm can be used with TC-2X? I'm not familiar of using TC so I have no idea how much is the "magnification" on 85/1.8.

Lol.., then just get a 55-300mm to supplement your 85mm f/1.8 at the tele end lor. Getting a teleconverter isn't any cheaper and leads to more hassle.

Hi all. Am new to the D7100. Got it for a fair price from one of the forumers and looking to offload my D7000. While I'm waiting for a buyer, have noticed some differences between the two. Though I wonder if perhaps it's just me being too used to the D7K that using the D7100 feels a little bit "off" to me for now.

Will do more testing and update if anything is drastically different. First things I like are the bigger screen and the locking dial (too often finding myself grabbing the camera out of the bag and shooting only to realise I've lost the moment as the dial has shifted from A to U1/2. :(

Hope to learn from you guys. :)

Hi all. Am new to the D7100. Got it for a fair price from one of the forumers and looking to offload my D7000. While I'm waiting for a buyer, have noticed some differences between the two. Though I wonder if perhaps it's just me being too used to the D7K that using the D7100 feels a little bit "off" to me for now.

Will do more testing and update if anything is drastically different. First things I like are the bigger screen and the locking dial (too often finding myself grabbing the camera out of the bag and shooting only to realise I've lost the moment as the dial has shifted from A to U1/2. :(

You are better than me. I'm from D5100.. my dial button is from the right. Now I have to practice the new buttons again. HAha...

I'm in the same boat as you. I've upgraded myself from D7000 to D7100 recently and found out the magnifying button (+) was different location from D7000. Sometimes I felt irritated but getting used to it now. High ISO picture isn't really good on this D7100 when compare to D7000.

Why is my movie setting on my D7100 1920x1080 60i and 50i greyed out? Anyone face the same issue? Dont seem to be able to select them.

Previous posts mentioned about the dust/oil problem on the sensor, are these isolated cases or are they just as bad as reported on the D600, and even on the D7000? Reason I'm asking is because I'm very keen to get the D7100. Would greatly appreciate some feedback from owners here.

Thanks in advance.

My set is fine. From what I read before purchasing my D7100, I did not experience anyone mention about this. I guess it is just on the D600.

Previous posts mentioned about the dust/oil problem on the sensor, are these isolated cases or are they just as bad as reported on the D600, and even on the D7000? Reason I'm asking is because I'm very keen to get the D7100. Would greatly appreciate some feedback from owners here.

Thanks in advance.