What Made you choose the Panasonic GF1 or Olympus Pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja23XX

Jan 24, 2009
In The Shadows
Calling out to all Panny GF1 users and Oly Pen users. What made you choose this camera.

I'm intending to purchase either one of these cameras and i would like to listen to all views from users of these cameras.

Please take note not to critize anyone. Thanks.

haha im curious about that too.. glad you started tis thread ninja

I chose the GF1 for

1. built-in flash
2. easier to use interface
3. AF speed
4. large LCD
5. overall handling is better for me
5. design - to me, EP1 looks like a retro wannabe especially after comparing to my old 35RC

Absolutely no regrets.

there's quite a number of threads already discussed. points like af speed, or whether ure a jpg/raw shooter determines the choice, i guess.
I do know that. But it's just targeting 1 camera at a time. I want something honest. Not something you see from the spec sheet, and say this is good i should get this. What other factor made you buy either one of them?

GF1 here

1. Official Panasonic own m4/3 lens range, (only one year alrdy have 6 and still upcoming. To me, this means a lot to show that it's very serious on this business).

2. Modern artistic flat design.

3. Fast AF, performance.

4. Hi-Res 60fps LCD, (Not suit to VF due to wearing glasses :cry:)

5. Also, Flash.

Last edited:
i was in the market for a m4/3s camera as a upgrade to my LX2 that was shared by me and my wife, also as a daily camera when not using my dslr. after several side by side comparisons, i chose the GF1 over the EP1 due to the following:

1) price. the GF1 + 20mm was cheaper than EP1 +17mm kit by about S$100 (promotional price)
2) pop up flash. convenience for my wife when the situation calls for some fill in.
3) intelligent Auto mode. its works very well, better than the LX2's auto mode, so good for my wife who does not use PASM modes.
4) responsiveness. only during the initial startup is the GF1 slower than EP1, otherwise, its very quick, about the same as EP1.
5) 20mm/f1.7
6) its was available in black
7) PASM meter shows aperture and shutter speeds on 2 scrolling bars that i found useful for quick exposure decisions
8) easy to use menu system. mine is a japanese domestic set, i can navigate the menu with ease even though i can't read jap.
9) full featured Silkypix 3.0 bundled.

(1) Image quality - That is the primary reason why I could not get away from Olympus. Jpeg from camera is important because there are times when I really don't have time or have a computer within reach to tweak a photo, for whatever assignments/submissions to client.

(2) In body IS - I am getting older. Coffee and cigarettes does not help in stabilising the shot. Don't ask me to quit either. I rather go down in a blaze of glory than die inhaling car exhaust and developing lung cancer because of someone else. Like I always said : I stop smoking when you stop driving.

(3) Compatibility - I use 4/3 lenses with MMF-1. No need to elaborate right? Everything feels "native".

(4) Screen - For whatever reasons people like high resolution screens, that works against me. And the Pen's LCD is the most accurate one there is, especially when tweaking color warmth. I make better judgements with the Pen LCD... *Panasonic will only offer one thing for my photos... screw them up.

(5) Reliable AF - I don't need fast AF when shooting a plant or a bowl of ramen... but I need reliable AF. *Panasonic's faster AF is achieved by reduced sampling. Totally unacceptable at all.

(6) Art Filters - Handy when lazy. Clients wow all the time with the black and whites. That alone is worth everything.

(7) VF-2 - No more dizziness. And being one who wear glasses, *Panasonic's intelligent EVF is the stupidest thing that I have ever used. Never fail to frustrate me.

(8) History - I love Pen because I love Pen. If Fujifilm releases digital Klasse, I am getting one too.

* Sorry for the Panasonic bashing, but primarily I hate the G-series camera because I feel it tries too hard. I am a hardcore believer in the LX series PnS, in fact, I helped sell tons of them. One of the most highly recommended PnS in the history of PnS cameras, other than the Fuji F31FD which is another classic.

What I like about the G-Series from Panasonic are :

(1) Video (in MJPEG mode) - Panasonic is all about video. No doubt about it. AVCHD might be the choice of the professionals, but G-Series is not a professional camera, though the GH1 is widely used by indie film makers now. But... (there is always a but)... Panasonic SUCKS with audio. Big time. The saving grace with GH1 is external mic input. Other wise, they really crash and burn with the audio.

(2) GUI - Panasonic GUI designers are one of the best out there. Simply a joy to use.

(3) Quality elements used in their lenses, but alas, not the build. Panasonic should just order elements from Leica and send them to Sigma to be made and focus on their Venus engine. That would produce something mind blowing and shut me up for good.

Though they are not enough reasons for me to buy one. And if I have to choose one G-Series camera in a place where Olympus cannot be found, then it has to be the GF1.

History - What really pisses me off about Panasonic is the way they screw their customers. Those who have bought into the L1, L10 regular 4/3 cameras and lenses are left high and dry... where are more OIS lenses for them? Oly have lenses, but none with built in IS... Panasonic just simply dumped their customers and went to m43 in a big way... so when there is another new format, then what happens? Olympus, on the other hand, ensured that even legacy lens owners from OM era are taken cared of when they develop new technology. Realised that OM adapters for E-Pen was released at the same time when the E-P1 was launched? That is taking care of customers. This attitude deserve my loyalty to them. Like they say, you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Photographers invest into a system. The system must take care of photographers.

Nikon - DX, FX, whatever X... confusing.
Canon - EF, EF-S, L lens, some weather proof, some not... even more confusing...

These are things that makes hobbyists, serious amateurs worry. What they are investing will usually not bring in enough income to cover the cost of investment, and screwing them is really not nice. Something everyone must learn. There are companies out there though small, but taking care of the interest of their customers ensure loyalty and continued business. That is something I look for in a brand that I invest into.

Last edited:
(1) Image quality - That is the primary reason why I could not get away from Olympus. Jpeg from camera is important because there are times when I really don't have time or have a computer within reach to tweak a photo, for whatever assignments/submissions to client.

(2) In body IS - I am getting older. Coffee and cigarettes does not help in stabilising the shot. Don't ask me to quit either. I rather go down in a blaze of glory than die inhaling car exhaust and developing lung cancer because of someone else. Like I always said : I stop smoking when you stop driving.

(3) Compatibility - I use 4/3 lenses with MMF-1. No need to elaborate right? Everything feels "native".

(4) Screen - For whatever reasons people like high resolution screens, that works against me. And the Pen's LCD is the most accurate one there is, especially when tweaking color warmth. I make better judgements with the Pen LCD... *Panasonic will only offer one thing for my photos... screw them up.

(5) Reliable AF - I don't need fast AF when shooting a plant or a bowl of ramen... but I need reliable AF. *Panasonic's faster AF is achieved by reduced sampling. Totally unacceptable at all.

(6) Art Filters - Handy when lazy. Clients wow all the time with the black and whites. That alone is worth everything.

(7) VF-2 - No more dizziness. And being one who wear glasses, *Panasonic's intelligent EVF is the stupidest thing that I have ever used. Never fail to frustrate me.

(8) History - I love Pen because I love Pen. If Fujifilm releases digital Klasse, I am getting one too.

* Sorry for the Panasonic bashing, but primarily I hate the G-series camera because I feel it tries too hard. I am a hardcore believer in the LX series PnS, in fact, I helped sell tons of them. One of the most highly recommended PnS in the history of PnS cameras, other than the Fuji F31FD which is another classic.

(1) Video (in MJPEG mode) - Panasonic is all about video. No doubt about it. AVCHD might be the choice of the professionals, but G-Series is not a professional camera, though the GH1 is widely used by indie film makers now. But... (there is always a but)... Panasonic SUCKS with audio. Big time. The saving grace with GH1 is external mic input. Other wise, they really crash and burn with the audio.

(2) GUI - Panasonic GUI designers are one of the best out there. Simply a joy to use.

(3) Quality elements used in their lenses, but alas, not the build. Panasonic should just order elements from Leica and send them to Sigma to be made and focus on their Venus engine. That would produce something mind blowing and shut me up for good.

Though they are not enough reasons for me to buy one. And if I have to choose one G-Series camera in a place where Olympus cannot be found, then it has to be the GF1.

History - What really pisses me off about Panasonic is the way they screw their customers. Those who have bought into the L1, L10 regular 4/3 cameras and lenses are left high and dry... where are more OIS lenses for them? Oly have lenses, but none with built in IS... Panasonic just simply dumped their customers and went to m43 in a big way... so when there is another new format, then what happens? Olympus, on the other hand, ensured that even legacy lens owners from OM era are taken cared of when they develop new technology. Realised that OM adapters for E-Pen was released at the same time when the E-P1 was launched? That is taking care of customers. This attitude deserve my loyalty to them. Like they say, you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Canon - EF, EF-S, L lens, some weather proof, some not... even more confusing...

These are things that makes hobbyists, serious amateurs worry. What they are investing will usually not bring in enough income to cover the cost of investment, and screwing them is really not nice. Something everyone must learn. There are companies out there though small, but taking care of the interest of their customers ensure loyalty and continued business. That is something I look for in a brand that I invest into.

This short and precise review is the most well wrtten I have read so far.

I bought Pen 1 as my secondary camera to my E30. I can't carry my E30 everyday so I bought Pen 1 which is with me all weekdays and weekend I used E30.

The above reason wrtten by Microsm is why I buy Olympus. One more point though.

Olympus are innovators , they had the guts and vision to venture new things for the benefits of true photography like dust buster, live view etcs etcs that you all are familiar now and the others (the C, N, S ) just follow. My money will always go to the innovators.

I am a G1 user now, which is my first DSLR. But I was also thinking of getting either the GF1 or EP series in the future. After reading your review, you just give me a stronger reason to give Oly a try. Good write up.:thumbsup:

I bought E-P1 because of
1) style
2) style
3) style
4) eh.....it also takes great OOC jpegs. ;)

PB250884.JPG

PA107110.JPG

I had both side by side for comparison, it was so difficult for me to decide which to keep, and at 1 point I was tempted to just keep both. It was that hard to decide. Eventually, I let go the E-P1. Reasons: GF1 LCD screen is much nicer to use. AF is faster, the 20/1.7 lens is great. I actually prefer the understated look of GF1, and a mini-Leica feel to it. However, I regret letting go of the E-P1 because of the retro styling, in camera image stabilisation, Olympus heritage (I actually had a original PEN...)

Eventually, I think with both camera so close in capability & features, and so good, either one you choose is going to be a good choice anyway, pretty much down to personal preference.

I bought E-P1 because of
1) style
2) style
3) style
4) eh.....it also takes great OOC jpegs. ;)

PB250884.JPG

PA107110.JPG
Where did you buy the hood. So nice. I want want. Sad the EP2, is all black. Hoped for a silver or white. Haha. But it's lovely.

I had both side by side for comparison, it was so difficult for me to decide which to keep, and at 1 point I was tempted to just keep both. It was that hard to decide. Eventually, I let go the E-P1. Reasons: GF1 LCD screen is much nicer to use. AF is faster, the 20/1.7 lens is great. I actually prefer the understated look of GF1, and a mini-Leica feel to it. However, I regret letting go of the E-P1 because of the retro styling, in camera image stabilisation, Olympus heritage (I actually had a original PEN...)

Eventually, I think with both camera so close in capability & features, and so good, either one you choose is going to be a good choice anyway, pretty much down to personal preference.
Why does everyone say the GF1 screen is nice? Is it because of the 930K screen. Oly only uses 460K :(

Even my canon doesn't reach as high as OLY. Haha....

GF1.

It is my first camera with interchangeable lens, and I have no existing lens or any other accessories before this. Bought it after reading all the reviews, as those are my only reference for my decisions. Wanted a camera flexible and small in size.

Love it.

Bro, think you got it wrong. GF1 screen not that high resolution also, its 460k not 930k. E-P1 screen is 230k but I personally feel that although it is lower resolution than the GF1 screen, it is more viewable under bright sunlight.

Canon 500D has a 930k screen which blows both the E-P1 and GF1 away in terms of clarity.

Why does everyone say the GF1 screen is nice? Is it because of the 930K screen. Oly only uses 460K :(

Even my canon doesn't reach as high as OLY. Haha....

EP-1 no onboard flash, this reason is enough for me not to choose it.

Bro, think you got it wrong. GF1 screen not that high resolution also, its 460k not 930k. E-P1 screen is 230k but I personally feel that although it is lower resolution than the GF1 screen, it is more viewable under bright sunlight.

Canon 500D has a 930k screen which blows both the E-P1 and GF1 away in terms of clarity.

I guess, i got the specs mixed up. Haha.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.