Used 1Dmk3 or new 7D, which is better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmwong90

Apr 25, 2009
Which is a better choice let say budget is not an issue, an used 1Dmk3 or new 7D? Will use it for sport and wild life. Your expert view please.

Try both and decide for yourself. 1DM3 has better AF perfmance, 7d has better ISO performance. A 1.3 crop or 1.7 crop? You need more mega pix?

Try both and decide for yourself. 1DM3 has better AF perfmance, 7d has better ISO performance. A 1.3 crop or 1.7 crop? You need more mega pix?

1.6 instead of 1.7.

I would watch out for a 1D3 with the AF flaw. Canon will attempt to fix it for free but why go through the hassle? 1D3 has the same low resolution LCD as the 40D. Being an owner of a 40D that is its 1 of 2 faults.

7D's lighter & smaller body. Cheaper too with warranty. Has a higher pixel density than a 1D3 for more "reach". I like how the Auto ISO is implemented on the 7D. I am unsure how/if the 1D3 has auto ISO but if it mirrors the 40D implementation then it is virtually useless.

If the 1D3 is fresh, low shutter count and is priced competitively with a brand new w/ warranty 7D then... it is up to you.

But if you want worry-free. I'd go with the 7D.

Which is a better choice let say budget is not an issue, an used 1Dmk3 or new 7D? Will use it for sport and wild life. Your expert view please.

1D series is made for a reasons,
and the reasons is for what u will do

1D3 has the same low resolution LCD as the 40D. Being an owner of a 40D that is its 1 of 2 faults.

of course, we all only view our pictures from the camera's built-in LCD. it is very important to have the best LCD available; if not, your camera will suck.

7D's lighter & smaller body. Cheaper too with warranty. Has a higher pixel density than a 1D3 for more "reach". I like how the Auto ISO is implemented on the 7D. I am unsure how/if the 1D3 has auto ISO but if it mirrors the 40D implementation then it is virtually useless.

auto ISO is just for lazy shooters.

so Av, Tv, & P are for lazy shooters as well?

To each his own.

To TS, i would go for the 1dmk3. Have you tried holding a 1d series camera? :bsmilie:
The lcd screen is just to view your shots, check your histogram for a more accurate reading.
:)

so Av, Tv, & P are for lazy shooters as well?

You forget to list the "green box" mode ;p

How does one really define lazy? What if one chooses to shoot in P, but he laid down on the ground to take the pic? Is he still considered lazy? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I use manual only when the lighting is tricky or when I wanna "drag the shutter" when using flash. Maybe some other scenarios I can't think of now.

Go for 1D mk IV lah.

If you already owned the 1D mk III, then there is less incentive to upgrade. Since budget is not an issue, go for mk IV is better choice than 7D if you primary subjects are wildlife and sports.

of course, we all only view our pictures from the camera's built-in LCD. it is very important to have the best LCD available; if not, your camera will suck.

When you're at location and want to see if the photo was focused properly then yes having a high definition camera LCD would be useful. After all going back to location may be impossible or even be expensive.

auto ISO is just for lazy shooters.

Why spend USD5,000 for a camera that cannot make your life easier? You may as well buy a 1000D if that is the case.

Lazy photographers do not need 10 fps continuous shooting. 1 fps is good enough. So what if you do not capture the exact moment he breaks through the finishing line, he can do it again! Don't use AI servo, you lazy bum! Use Manual Focus! Be a man! Don't use Auto White Balance!

What is most important is the photos we take and not how we make them. Who cares if you walked through 5 feet of snow for 20 kilometers barefoot an hour before twilight? I don't. I don't care if you had to hand glide to the wall of a mountain to reach the nest of the last dodo bird known to man.

Auto ISO was first implemented on Nikon and it is a great feature to have especially when you have all speeds of film on the sensor. If the camera has an exposure meter for the f-stop and shutter speed then why not for the sensor speed as well?

Lazy bum carry that 1.3kg of 1d3 body instead of that lighter .8kg body of the 7D

i get the 1dmk3, then sell it...
then money can buy 7D + lenses...

When you're at location and want to see if the photo was focused properly then yes having a high definition camera LCD would be useful. After all going back to location may be impossible or even be expensive.

Why spend USD5,000 for a camera that cannot make your life easier? You may as well buy a 1000D if that is the case.

Lazy photographers do not need 10 fps continuous shooting. 1 fps is good enough. So what if you do not capture the exact moment he breaks through the finishing line, he can do it again! Don't use AI servo, you lazy bum! Use Manual Focus! Be a man! Don't use Auto White Balance!

What is most important is the photos we take and not how we make them. Who cares if you walked through 5 feet of snow for 20 kilometers barefoot an hour before twilight? I don't. I don't care if you had to hand glide to the wall of a mountain to reach the nest of the last dodo bird known to man.

Auto ISO was first implemented on Nikon and it is a great feature to have especially when you have all speeds of film on the sensor. If the camera has an exposure meter for the f-stop and shutter speed then why not for the sensor speed as well?

Lazy bum carry that 1.3kg of 1d3 body instead of that lighter .8kg body of the 7D

I tend to agree with you. A good camera is one that would allow you to concentrate in shooting and doesn't get in your way. If the auto ISO works well, why not use it? My 2 cents.

IF like you said budget is not an issue, you shd be looking at brand new 1D3 vs 7D; or rather brand new 1D4 vs 7D..

For sports and wild life, 1 series is the way to go

Sometimes, you can even view the image using the LCD properly to determine the exposure of the images especially in bright daylight.

Therefore, i would suggest to look at the exposure or RGB histogram for accurate exposure.
However, for sharpness, the new LCD does give you a better image but sometimes i found it over sharpen in the LCD compared to when i load the images into my PC.

Correct me if i am wrong here. Anyway if you take raw, the image you see in the LCD is converted and compressed to JPG. Therefore, there are differences when you see the image on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.