Used 1Dmk3 or new 7D, which is better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all your expert views, my budget is only good for a used 1Dmk3. I have 3 prime and 3 two zoom lenses, so not going to get any more lens. After reading your valuable experiences and views on these two cameras, now it is much more easier for me to make decision.

After reading your valuable experiences and views on these two cameras, now it is much more easier for me to make decision.
i think you should still borrow/rent the cams to get a first-hand experience for the feel of it.

i also recommend trying each of them - either rent or at least spend a *lot* of time in the shop with them.

the OP/TS did not state what kind of sports he/she intends to shoot. my second profession in oz before i left was a sports shooter. there were very few sports that truly *need* 10+ fps. i generally shoot sports on one shot, and snap as necessary. skateboard tourneys i'd definitely burst. shooting pro sports is quite a bit different from shooting kids/school sports. for pro you try to get sellable shots (newspaper/web) from a fixed position on the field. shooting kids and school, you try to get a variety of good shots of every kid. the type of shooting can help make a determination of which body you need (or don't need).

one of the nice things about the 1 series is they are built extremely well. the shutter assembly is made to last - much longer then the other series. some people here who have seen my 1dmk3 on shoots have seen the huge crack in the magnesium shell from use and abuse. everything still works perfectly. i shot an entire season of rugby league & soccer) with it as my primary body (tape over the crack and body armour to keep it from getting worse). now that i've moved and am not shooting sport regularly, i really should have it fixed...

i don't have anything to comment on for wildlife as it's not what i shoot. i went through south africa and zimbabwe a few years ago, but the animals pretty much stood still.

I would go for the newer body. hence 7D. 3-4 years of technological gap is a long time.

I would go for the newer body. hence 7D. 3-4 years of technological gap is a long time.

If you have used both side by side, you will understand why the 7D can't be compared to the 1D3. 7D's responds and handling is just not as good as the 1D3 even it is already 3 years old. Image of the 1D3 is also more pleasing to the eyes.

May be I should do a direct test to show the results soon.

If you have used both side by side, you will understand why the 7D can't be compared to the 1D3. 7D's responds and handling is just not as good as the 1D3 even it is already 3 years old. Image of the 1D3 is also more pleasing to the eyes.

That will be great info to help TS making up his mind and to share.

1D Mark3 possibly a more superior camera in many ways over the 7D.

But bros who considering to buy used 1dmark3 over a 7d should be mentally prepare to fork out a hefty repair bill if the 1d mark3 requires repairs.

1D Mark3 possibly a more superior camera in many ways over the 7D.

But bros who considering to buy used 1dmark3 over a 7d should be mentally prepare to fork out a hefty repair bill if the 1d mark3 requires repairs.

Actually, for 3 years...I hardly need any repair for the 1D3. And for minor adjustment and tuning , it is free most of the time.

Ah you are lucky but not everyone will be, thats why canon Service ctr is so busy.

Parts replacement is not cheap in a 1D series as told to me by the technician.

Actually, for 3 years...I hardly need any repair for the 1D3. And for minor adjustment and tuning , it is free most of the time.

Ah you are lucky but not everyone will be, thats why canon Service ctr is so busy.

Parts replacement is not cheap in a 1D series as told to me by the technician.

The reason why the parts are more expensive is because they are more durable. Therefore, in a long run, you get a peace of the mind and require lesser repairs compared to the rest of the models.

auto ISO is just for lazy shooters.

Don't like dat lah... how many times are you fast than the moment when you need to make multiple adjustment when you're shooting in "M" mode. ;p

7D for me thank you. higher ISO for me.lol..

I just took the plunge and got a secondhand 1dMkIII. It probably has a shutter count close to 70,000 but the cosmetic condition is perfect (apart from the smelly soiled neck-strap which I replaced).

If you're worried about lack of auto-ISO (as I am), don't worry, under custom functions, you can set safety shift for Av mode and then set the parameters for slowest/highest shutter speed.

The build quality is so much better than my previous 5dMkII. It actually feels solid instead of crappy plastic.

10fps is insane.

hey dche5390, congratulations on your purchase. can you share to us on how much you paid for the 1dmIII? and where you got it? i might give this used cam route a thinking, thanks

hey dche5390, congratulations on your purchase. can you share to us on how much you paid for the 1dmIII? and where you got it? i might give this used cam route a thinking, thanks

I can't give you an exact figure as I did a straight swap for my "damaged" 5dMkII with BG-E6.

I got it from a forum much like to this one but in Australia (I'm from Sydney).

Hi Lightning,

TS asked the exactly the same quesiton that I want to ask. After reading the responses from everybody, I am now pretty much convinced I should go for the 1d3. Before that I have one last question:
What the high ISO performence comparison between the 2?

Thanks...

Hi Tony,

I upgraded from 40D to 1D3 a month back and never look back. I have the 40D and 1D3 with me side-by-side and I was wondering if I should sell my 40D off. The 1D3 focuses so much faster, and I just love the muscular built. IQ wise, I would say it is obviously cleaner than my 40D even though both are 10MP bodies. Like you I had considered the 7D too but it does not have better IQ than even my 40D. High ISO looks terrible on the 7D, on the sample body at Vivocity with my own 24-70L.

The 1D3 can only go as high as 6400 (H) but it still looks cleaner than the 7D. 7D is new, packed with cute little features but IQ is a bit lacking especially when you crank up the ISO. 1D3 on the other hand, is one solid block of metal and delivers clean images up to ISO 3200. Hope that helps in making your own decision. :)

Hi Tony,

I upgraded from 40D to 1D3 a month back and never look back. I have the 40D and 1D3 with me side-by-side and I was wondering if I should sell my 40D off. The 1D3 focuses so much faster, and I just love the muscular built. IQ wise, I would say it is obviously cleaner than my 40D even though both are 10MP bodies. Like you I had considered the 7D too but it does not have better IQ than even my 40D. High ISO looks terrible on the 7D, on the sample body at Vivocity with my own 24-70L.

The 1D3 can only go as high as 6400 (H) but it still looks cleaner than the 7D. 7D is new, packed with cute little features but IQ is a bit lacking especially when you crank up the ISO. 1D3 on the other hand, is one solid block of metal and delivers clean images up to ISO 3200. Hope that helps in making your own decision. :)

Wow, you know exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! :p

I own a 40D at the moment. I am very much supprised when hear: "Like you I had considered the 7D too but it does not have better IQ than even my 40D. High ISO looks terrible on the 7D,"

I thought 7D can do much better than 40D in both IQ and ISO areas.

Wow, you know exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! :p

I own a 40D at the moment. I am very much supprised when hear: "Like you I had considered the 7D too but it does not have better IQ than even my 40D. High ISO looks terrible on the 7D,"

I thought 7D can do much better than 40D in both IQ and ISO areas.
The 7D performs the same at same ISO with the 40D, to my eyes that is. At iso1600 i can't really tell the difference between the 2 other than the larger file size from 7D. However things seems to be on the noisier side when I enlarge the 7D files and view them side-by-side with the 40D's especially on the higher ISO. Moreover my 40D's photos seem to be sharper than the 7D... not sure why. The 7D just doesn't impress me that much.

You should try out a 7D at Vivocity with your own CF card... check its high ISO pictures especially on ISO6400 and ISO12800. You'll be surprised.

And just FYI, I have sold my 40D and EF-S 10-22 last weekend to make way for either a 14L or 16-35 II :sweatsm: can't think of any reason why I should keep my 40D.

The 7D performs the same at same ISO with the 40D, to my eyes that is. At iso1600 i can't really tell the difference between the 2 other than the larger file size from 7D. However things seems to be on the noisier side when I enlarge the 7D files and view them side-by-side with the 40D's especially on the higher ISO. Moreover my 40D's photos seem to be sharper than the 7D... not sure why. The 7D just doesn't impress me that much.

You should try out a 7D at Vivocity with your own CF card... check its high ISO pictures especially on ISO6400 and ISO12800. You'll be surprised.

And just FYI, I have sold my 40D and EF-S 10-22 last weekend to make way for either a 14L or 16-35 II :sweatsm: can't think of any reason why I should keep my 40D.

Thanks buddy. I will try that out. 1dm3 seems really the way to go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.