Starting a Olympus C750UZ thread - on usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raymondb said:
Did you try setting one of the myMode to spot focusing with all other setting, and set one of the shortcut to myMode switcher (which switch between myMode 1 to 4), this way, you could go straight to the setting in quite a short time.

Cheers
Raymond

nope... havent try this yet... :)
seems like a great shortcut... :think:
will try your suggestion out soon!

thanks

Raymondb said:
Didn't quite get you.

Buy a 52mm lense cap and cap it onto the 52mm filter?

Or do you mean to get something that will cover the whole configuration?

Cheers
Raymond

Haha, roger that. Newbie lah, so a bit clown, dun even know got 52mm lens cap.. anyway yes, also looking for a new bag that fits the whole configuration snugly, any suggestions?

Has any Olympus C-750uz users upgraded your camera firmware? Pls advise.
Beside PictBridge support, what others improvement? THks.

thheng71 said:
Has any Olympus C-750uz users upgraded your camera firmware? Pls advise.
Beside PictBridge support, what others improvement? THks.

Generally the AF in dim conditions is better... you can read through the earlier posts in this thread for more.

benleez said:
Generally the AF in dim conditions is better... you can read through the earlier posts in this thread for more.

THks Benleez.
One more question. How to view which version my cam is actually having now. fyi... I brought my cam december last year. Advise. THks.

thheng71 said:
THks Benleez.
One more question. How to view which version my cam is actually having now. fyi... I brought my cam december last year. Advise. THks.

You can't find the firmware version from the camera directly. One of the way is to read through the PC, from the exif data attached with the pictures you've taken with the camera.

For instance, if you are using the freeware 'irfanview" to view your pictures, from any pictures, enter "i" for information and "e" for exif data.

Sometimes the exif data of a picture file will be lost if you have re-saved them.

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Raymond

Raymondb said:
You can't find the firmware version from the camera directly. One of the way is to read through the PC, from the exif data attached with the pictures you've taken with the camera.

For instance, if you are using the freeware 'irfanview" to view your pictures, from any pictures, enter "i" for information and "e" for exif data.

Sometimes the exif data of a picture file will be lost if you have re-saved them.

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Raymond

THks, Raymond & Benleez also. :)
I managed to see the current(v753g2-86) & latest(v753e-86-D01) version from my pc during the upgrade. Once the upgrade completed, the LCD screen on my cam also show the latest version for few secords. :thumbsup:

Raymondb said:
Hi.
Try this:
Set zoom to full wide. (i.e. 6.3mm).
Set to Aperture priority mode (A) via the dial.
Set F-number to F8.
Set to manual focus and set the distance to about 1m.
If you are taking shots outdoor, you just have to snap!
If you are indoor, you may need some powerful external flash, unless you are very near to the subjects (your children).
Just remember one thing, DON'T zoom. 'Cause it will shorten the depth of field.

Try and see if it work for you.
Cheers.
Raymond

Hi Raymond,
I'm new to digi cam.
U mention tat set to manual focus. U are refering to the A/S/M, set it to M izzit? Correct me if i'm wrong. Thks.

thheng71 said:
Hi Raymond,
I'm new to digi cam.
U mention tat set to manual focus. U are refering to the A/S/M, set it to M izzit? Correct me if i'm wrong. Thks.

setting M means manual settings... for manual focus, hold down your 'OK' button (i.e. the one in the middle of the direction buttons) for more than 1 sec. A distance indicator will appear on the left of the monitor, press on the left button (centre area becomes enlarged) and select 1m (press down) as Raymond mentioned.

Have fun! ;)

benleez said:
setting M means manual settings... for manual focus, hold down your 'OK' button (i.e. the one in the middle of the direction buttons) for more than 1 sec. A distance indicator will appear on the left of the monitor, press on the left button (centre area becomes enlarged) and select 1m (press down) as Raymond mentioned.

Have fun! ;)

Yes, benleez is right. Press and hold the "OK" button for more than a second will bring your camera to manual focusing mode.
Another way to set your camera to manual focus is to press the "OK" button after you focus your camera to a subject using auto-focus, a focusing distance scale will appear, and select MF. This will lock the focusing distance to the one you obtained with the AF, which sometimes could be quite handy.

Cheers.
Raymond

Raymondb said:
Another way to set your camera to manual focus is to press the "OK" button after you focus your camera to a subject using auto-focus, a focusing distance scale will appear, and select MF. This will lock the focusing distance to the one you obtained with the AF, which sometimes could be quite handy.

That's new info for me! Thanks Raymondb.

Raymondb said:
Yes, benleez is right. Press and hold the "OK" button for more than a second will bring your camera to manual focusing mode.

Cheers.
Raymond

Thks both(Raymond & Benleez).

Soliciting info to maximise the chances of whipping out my C750 as fast as furious as possible ;) ,

1) What are your settings for the custom key, and the A, B and C shortcuts?
(polling the audience for the most useful configuration)

mine's Custom = Record Mode, A = Drive, B = A/S/M and C = WB.

2) What are the common settings for MyModes?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

benleez said:
Soliciting info to maximise the chances of whipping out my C750 as fast as furious as possible ;) ,

1) What are your settings for the custom key, and the A, B and C shortcuts?
(polling the audience for the most useful configuration)

mine's Custom = Record Mode, A = Drive, B = A/S/M and C = WB.

2) What are the common settings for MyModes?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Custom button = AE lock
Shortcut A = ISO
Shortcut B = Resolution
Shortcut C = Mymode

For the 4 mymode settings, it really depends on what you will be taking the most.
Some setting that I could suggest:
1. Night indoor shot with minimum needs to focus on each subject.
Set to manual exposure, manual focus at about 1m distance, Aperture to F8, Flash mode
to Auto. Set to macro mode for supposingly faster focusing for near subject.
2. Sequential shots
Set to shutter priority at 1/200 or so. Set to Drive mode. AF mode.
3. Set Spot metering mode, with multi-metering mode ON. May also set the AF to spot
focusing mode. To utilize the multi-metering function, I think you will have to set you
custom button to "AE-lock".
4. Long exposure.
Set manual exposure mode. Aperture to F5.6. Shutter speed to 6 sec. ISO 50. Zoom to widest.
Noise reduction mode ON. Resolution to SHQ.

All these are just suggestion. Afterall, its digital. Shoot and shoot until you find a
satisfactory result and store the settings for each kind of scene.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers.
Raymond

Raymondb said:

Cheers.
Raymond

Raymondb...

this method of using manual focus cant really judge from the lcd that you are actually in the correct focus...maybe for me i couldn't get it right... even after ample effort....

Is there any other settings..?

SuRfTeC said:
Raymondb...

this method of using manual focus cant really judge from the lcd that you are actually in the correct focus...maybe for me i couldn't get it right... even after ample effort....

Is there any other settings..?

Sorry, I dont quite get you. Are you referring to the switching process, or are you referring to the manual focusing itself?

I don't use the manual focus to obtain correct focus on subjects, in fact, I can't. It is too difficult to judge from the either small lcd or the view finder.

Raymond

Raymondb said:
Sorry, I dont quite get you. Are you referring to the switching process, or are you referring to the manual focusing itself?

I don't use the manual focus to obtain correct focus on subjects, in fact, I can't. It is too difficult to judge from the either small lcd or the view finder.

Raymond

In response to Raymond's and Surftec's post on MF, in fact, MF is usually used when trying to intentionall put things out of focus, or when due to dim lighting, a proper AF cannot be gotten in the subject, in which case, focus on a lighted object abt the same distance as the dim subject, then use Raymond's method to fix the MF distance. If no light object, then aggaration liao... ;p

benleez said:
In response to Raymond's and Surftec's post on MF, in fact, MF is usually used when trying to intentionall put things out of focus, or when due to dim lighting, a proper AF cannot be gotten in the subject, in which case, focus on a lighted object abt the same distance as the dim subject, then use Raymond's method to fix the MF distance. If no light object, then aggaration liao... ;p

Agreed.
Practically, I feel that the manual focus function in the C-750 is not suitable at all for the usage to obtain accurate focus, (may be with the exception of macro photography). I normally just use it when I want to lock the focus.

Miss the focusing ring in my old SLR camera.

Raymond

Raymondb said:
Agreed.
Practically, I feel that the manual focus function in the C-750 is not suitable at all for the usage to obtain accurate focus, (may be with the exception of macro photography). I normally just use it when I want to lock the focus.

Miss the focusing ring in my old SLR camera.

Raymond

Now its a clearer picture... ;) been wondering how you guys manipulate the manual focus... when all the while its just acts like a lock... ;p

aggaration for the manual focus is real tough... :confused: even though lcd appear sharp... you might not get the sharpness when transfered to pc... so sometimes quite frustrating...!

Me too... miss the focusing ring.....! :bsmilie:

SuRfTeC said:
aggaration for the manual focus is real tough... :confused: even though lcd appear sharp...

when playback in the LCD, can zoom zoom zoom zoom to see if its sharp ;)
but usually, stick to AF lah ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.