Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
MOSCOW: Singapore's trio Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Sun Bei Bei rocked the sports world in Moscow when they beat reigning champions and world No 1 China 3-1 in the World Team Table Tennis Championships.

It was sweet revenge for the Singapore women's team, ranked No 2 in the world, after they lost in the 2008 final and the Olympic final to the Chinese.

China, powerhouses in the men's and women's game for so long, were left stunned by a confident display from the Singapore women.

Feng, Singapore's world No 2, was the star of the team, after she beat China's world No 4, Ding Ning, in the first singles, before coming back to the table to clinch the winning point 3-2 against women's No 1, 19-year-old Liu Shiwen.

Earlier, Wang stunned Liu in the second singles, while Sun fell to Guo Yan, setting up Feng's epic finale as the Singapore women became the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Results:

Singapore bt China 3-1

Feng Tianwei (SIN) bt Ding Ning (CHN) 3-2 (8-11, 3-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-9)

Wang Yuegu (SIN) bt Liu Shiwen (CHN) 3-1 (11-7, 11-8, 2-11, 12-10)

Guo Yan (CHN) bt Sun Bei Bei (SIN) 3-1 (6-11, 11-6, 11-4, 11-6)

Feng Tianwei (SIN) bt Liu Shiwen (CHN) 3-2 (11-7, 14-16, 11-7, 9-11, 11-7)

Source: CNA

Congratulations to the Singapore Women team! :heart::heart::heart:

Though Feng's first match win was very important to the Game, imo, Wang's win was the most impressive and critical....

Let's have a red carpet welcome to the women team!

Unbelievable! Congrats!!!

where is Zhang YiNing?

Congrats. World Champions and without Li Jiawei too! True to "Marble" Tan's prediction, 2010 did bring us the Table Tennis World Champion, though didn't make it to the World Cup.

Last edited:
as usual, a check on hardwarezone doesn't disappoint:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2782242

the talk centres around:

1) girls
2) singapore team not from singapore

:rolleyes:

Did the girls kiss the Singapore badge after victory? They should learn from the European football players. Anyway, the girls did it wearing the Singapore shirt and flying the Singapore flag. Give them credit when it is due. And remember to credit the coach too. Ministers should step aside and not hog the limelight. The spotlights should be on the team, not the management.

Cser, prepare to flood the Changi Airport arrival hall and offer plenty of flash support.

Last edited:
To those who used to criticise our table tennis players, think about this. These girls were not even national players before they took the risk to come over to Singapore. At most, they had the potential but there are tons of these players back at home waiting for the chance to make it to the national squad. Many were proviincial champions, league champions, etc. and only a handful make it to the national squad. Even then, only the cream of them get to represent the country. Sadly, many don't get to realise their dream of representing their homeland. Along the way, some get the opportunity to go overseas to play and eventually represent the host country. So, to say that they are just are not our players is not fair to them. We trained them, groomed them, gave them every opportunites to play at the international arena to pit their skills against other foreign players which otherwise they would never have hoped to achieve if they still remain in China. All the efforts at our end bear dividends and we should be proud of them. Come on, lets give credit where it is due.

Some Singaporeans also claim that our sports associations are not grooming locals and resort to importing foreigners as a short cut. I dun think it is entirely true that the policy is to import foreigners. Just look at any of our sports. How many of us Singaporean are willing to play take part in a particular sports full time rather than mixed playing part time and at the same time get a tertiary education? To many, sports can never be their bread and butter and a paper at least can ensure that they get a job till they retire. Studying and training during free time is not the way to go. U can never reach the top this way. Over the years, with a pool of local players who had to juggle training with studies, how do u expect our standard to be like what we see today?

It is time to embrace foreign home grown talents. If they don't feel welcomed, they will just pack up, find a chinese husband and go.

World Champions have any money incentives. Hope they each get a million dollars.

Frankly our girls worked very hard for this, but this may come too early as I would prefer an Olympics Gold instead.

Now I don't think the Chinese are going to take it easy for our girls and Feng and Wang are now marked! :sweat:

I think our women must now work even harder. Please don't hit Jiawei, she is part of the whole picture too.

Now, we will be hearing a lot from "Bruised" Lee :dunno: soon.

How many of us Singaporean are willing to play take part in a particular sports full time rather than mixed playing part time and at the same time get a tertiary education? To many, sports can never be their bread and butter and a paper at least can ensure that they get a job till they retire. Studying and training during free time is not the way to go. U can never reach the top this way. Over the years, with a pool of local players who had to juggle training with studies, how do u expect our standard to be like what we see today?

So something must be really wrong with our system. Many lip service for sports but on the ground there ain't any happening.

Frankly our girls worked very hard for this, but this may come too early as I would prefer an Olympics Gold instead.

Please don't hit Jiawei, she is part of the whole picture too.

Now, we will be hearing a lot from "Bruised" Lee :dunno: soon.

Come'on a World champion is much more significant than Olympic Gold. Is Li Jiawei still part of the picture. I have not been following. I thought she married a Beijing businessman and no longer represents Singapore. And who is Bruised Lee?

So something must be really wrong with our system. Many lip service for sports but on the ground there ain't any happening.

yes, it is always the system.

http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corpo.../Singapores_Sports_Vision_2010_on_Track_.html

don't blame the system for bad mentality.

just look at arts, there are scholarships in place for that field, we have our fair share of success stories (though most of them are based overseas); would your average singaporean parents encourage their kids to do arts, or sports?

i can't tell you how many people i've met think that the average professional photographers live a hand-to-mouth existence.

Last edited:
Come'on a World champion is much more significant than Olympic Gold. Is Li Jiawei still part of the picture. I have not been following. I thought she married a Beijing businessman and no longer represents Singapore. And who is Bruised Lee?

If Li is in the squad, maybe it will be a different story.

Dun blame it on lip service. It is a 2-way kind of thing. The government can implement measures to encourage more locals to take up a particular sports but on the other hand, are Singaporeans prepared to do so? As in any sports, there is no guarantee for success even if you get top grade coaching, best facilities, etc. The "lifespan" of a sportsman is a short one compared to an working adult, very few are even prepared to take the risk to embark on a full time sports career. Honestly, answer this question - are you prepared to send your kid to pursue a particular sports if he has huge potential at the expense of a good education???

Last edited:
If Li is in the squad, maybe it will be a different story.
It was reported:

Along with Jiawei, who will fly to Moscow for the World Team Championships from 23rd-30th May, are nine other players including Olympic teammates Feng Tianwei and Wang Yuegu.

In my opinion,. she is still world-class. The most important thing is that she still want to fight for Singapore, though now, she is a rich tais tais with a baby. Let's support her.

Last edited:
Dun blame it on lip service. It is a 2-way kind of thing. The government can implement measures to encourage more locals to take up a particular sports but on the other hand, the respondents i.e. Singaporeas, are they prepared to do so? As in any sports, there is not guarantee for success even if you get top grade coaching, best facilities, etc. The "lifespan" of a sportsman is a short one compared to an working adult, very few are even prepared to take the risk to embark on a full time sports career. Honestly, answer this question - would you send your kid to pursue a particular sports if he has huge potential at the expense of a good education???

not just sports, how about music and art?

there is only so much any system can do - unless of course you propose paying musicians, artists and sportsmen $20K a month, then you will see many parents forcing their kids to paint, sing, dance, run and do shot put.. :bsmilie:

not just sports, how about music and art?

there is only so much any system can do - unless of course you propose paying musicians, artists and sportsmen $20K a month, then you will see many parents forcing their kids to paint, sing, dance, run and do shot put.. :bsmilie:

Precisely, any system can only do so much and the rest is up to them to take up the challenge. Many Singaporeans will opt for a much safer route thru education rather than risk ending up with nothing if they fail to make the grade in any particular sport.