Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

we should be proud of them, foreign talents

must import more! displace singaporeans and perform better!!! :rolleyes::wink::wink:

Dun blame it on lip service. It is a 2-way kind of thing. The government can implement measures to encourage more locals to take up a particular sports but on the other hand, are Singaporeans prepared to do so? As in any sports, there is no guarantee for success even if you get top grade coaching, best facilities, etc. The "lifespan" of a sportsman is a short one compared to an working adult, very few are even prepared to take the risk to embark on a full time sports career. Honestly, answer this question - are you prepared to send your kid to pursue a particular sports if he has huge potential at the expense of a good education???

You need to spend ten of thounsand dollars and sacrifice time to send your child for training; and if luck is with him to make it to the top five in the national age group then they might consider your child. So in order for your child to have a slim hope to enjoy those policies, you need to be rich.
I'm just a poor photographer.:embrass:

we should be proud of them, foreign talents

must import more! displace singaporeans and perform better!!! :rolleyes:

hope that one day you will live overseas and have that attitude thrown at you.

:thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:

yes, it is always the system.

http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corpo.../Singapores_Sports_Vision_2010_on_Track_.html

don't blame the system for bad mentality.

just look at arts, there are scholarships in place for that field, we have our fair share of success stories (though most of them are based overseas); would your average singaporean parents encourage their kids to do arts, or sports?

i can't tell you how many people i've met think that the average professional photographers live a hand-to-mouth existence.

Thanks for the link. I read it with interest. But wondering how many of my bus drviers, and hawkers friends' children are able to enjoy it.

Thanks for the link. I read it with interest. But wondering how many of my bus drviers, and hawkers friends' children are able to enjoy it.

if they study in schools, they will benefit.

from my experience and observations on school-level sports, you don't need to be rich to be a national team member. :sweat:

what attitude?~ :eek::confused::bsmilie:

"oh, here come the big bad foreigners to steal our jobs, take our wives, and impose their habits on us."

:rolleyes:

it's globalisation, live with it. it happens in most major cities in the world.

if they study in schools, they will benefit.

from my experience and observations on school-level sports, you don't need to be rich to be a national team member. :sweat:

just take a look at all the swimmers and their background. If my son gonna wait for his neighborhood school to train, I will die laughing if he ever gonna to make it to the top 20.

You need to spend ten of thounsand dollars and sacrifice time to send your child for training; and if luck is with him to make it to the top five in the national age group then they might consider your child. So in order for your child to have a slim hope to enjoy those policies, you need to be rich.
I'm just a poor photographer.:embrass:

Yes, whether it is in sports or getting a tertiary education, alot of sacrifices need to be made especially financial one. And, sports is not one thing that can guarantee a good return compared to a good education. At least, with a good education, those who gone thru the university or polytechnics can be assured to a lifelong employment compared to sports where only a very small percentage of those who chose this line will make the grade to national level. Whether they can earn the huge incentives from getting gold, silver or bronze medals from international competitions is another matter. Singaporeans, being pragmatic and also partly not risk taker, would prefer the "safer" route i.e. education.

"oh, here come the big bad foreigners to steal our jobs, take our wives, and impose their habits on us."

:rolleyes:

it's globalisation, live with it. it happens in most major cities in the world.

since when was i against that? :dunno::dunno:

we should have more real talents, than the faux ones that sneak into the system, both in sports, and in academics.

Yes, whether it is in sports or getting a tertiary education, alot of sacrifices need to be made especially financial one. And, sports is not one thing that can guarantee a good return compared to a good education. At least, with a good education, those who gone thru the university or polytechnics can be assured to a lifelong employment compared to sports where only a very small percentage of those who chose this line will make the grade to national level. Whether they can earn the huge incentives from getting gold, silver or bronze medals from international competitions is another matter. Singaporeans, being pragmatic and also partly not risk taker, would prefer the "safer" route i.e. education.

In China, it's a different story. I will not steal this thread. Congratulations to our girls. :)

ah. imported talents:rolleyes:

the english national soccer team has all-english players, or at least players who have a strong claim to being english....

but they are coached by an italian. ;)

if we all want to be so nationalistic, let's just push it all the way, make sure everyone involved in a country's sporting glory comes from that country, shan't we? :)

made in china. assembled in singapore.

who says money cannot buy anything?

i am happy nevertheless. congrats!

but the fact of the matter is this...singapore has limited capabilities due to our small population of 5 mio so we need to import talent.

i would like the brains and physique of an israeli, sports genes of a black, looks of a north indian and family values of a chinese.

Last edited: