Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011

Hooky3659

Mar 11, 2009
Singapore
I0000L4WocMYSzTM.jpg

19.06.2011 - Fu Haifeng of China in action during their Men's Doubles Finals against Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Hendra Aprida Gunawan of Indonesia, Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011, National Indoor Stadium, Singapore.

Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011
This year’s edition of the Singapore Badminton Open featured a star-studded field of over 300 shuttlers as the race to London 2012 kicked off with the first Osim BWF World Superseries event during the qualification period.

I0000DjcVVHvgk2M.jpg

19.06.2011 - Lin Dan of China(right) addresses the fans for his reasons for pulling out of the Men's Singles Finals while Chen Jin of China looks on, Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011, National Indoor Stadium, Singapore.

Superpower China charge to qualify with the maximum of 18 players for London 2012 went off to a great start as the Chinese dominated proceedings in the final day to sweep 4 out of the 5 finals. Their performance on court however was marred by off-court controversy surrounding superstar Lin Dan, who did not turn up at the opening press conference and subsequently conceded a walk over to compatriot Chen Jin in the Men’s finals.

I0000F2IdBT5hhEk.jpg

18.06.2011 - Tine Baun of Denmark reacts to winning her Women's Singles Semi-finals match of the Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011, National Indoor Stadium, Singapore.

The Europeans were also out to prove their Olympic credentials with strong performances from European players. Denmark showed why they were considered the best in Europe with Tine Baun reaching the Women’s finals, Peter Gade falling to Lin Dan in the Men’s Semis and 17-year old Viktor Axelsen giving way to Wang Zhengming in the quarters but only after disposing of Bao Chunlai in the round of 16.

I0000En50B1JCZ1k.jpg

17.06.2011 - Juliane Schenk of Germany during her Women's Singles Quarter-finals of the Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011, National Indoor Stadium, Singapore.

Germany’s Juliane Schenk and Yao Jie of the Netherlands both also enjoyed a fine run at the Singapore Open, going down to Wang Shixian in the quarters and eventual champion Wang Xin in the semis respectively. They would need more of this kind of runs in the big tournaments if they would want to have a shot at qualification for London 2012.

I0000t.CkjPwQpQw

17.06.2011 - Cheng Shao Chieh of Chinese Taipei during her Women's Singles Quarter-finals match of the Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011, National Indoor Stadium, Singapore.

The biggest upset for the whole tournament had to be the downing of India’s Ace, Saina Nehwal, by Cheng Shao Chieh in the 2nd round. Her presence in the later stage of the tournament would have ensured a packed Indoor Stadium with the voracious Chinese, Indonesian and Indian supporters. Overall another very successful edition of the Singapore Open both on and of the court, marred only by the controversy created by the Chinese team. Till then, Singapore badminton fans would be eagerly awaiting the chance of a Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei showdown at the Singapore Open – if they don’t go ahead with their retirement plans after London 2012.

Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011 Gallery

Last edited: