Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Results are only viewable after voting.

Always practice caution with purchasing those odd brand electrical item from Homefix.
E.g A model of the room humdifier model power adaptor runs very very hot (as hot as baking car). I informed the Homefix but doubt they will do anything. So always make sure if is place is proper surface.

The electric (to recharge the silica only) silica gel dehumdifier runs hot when heating the silica gel. So keep it away from obstruction. The blue/pink is just the blue silica gel within.

Just saw from Homefix $29.90 for 2 dehumidifier, uses the pink/blue colour indicator, when needs drying, plug into power socket and leave overnight.

Anyone wants to get one too? ;)

hi...all!

Recently, juz bought my first DSLR D90...so im very new to tis camera n forum!

Juz wondering after reading the whole 9 pages...I've decided to buy a dry cabi to save the hassel.

Can any1 here recommend me any model which is suitable...Thanks!

Btw Digi-Cabi model DB-036 or AD-050 which 1 would u guys recommend...cause I only have 1 camera n 1 lens for a start.

Or is there any other options? Currently, store everything in the bag plus 1 Thirsty-Hippo Sachet.

hi, juz for your info guys,

i juz got a digi cabi from parisilk at holland V,

30l version, CnC at $99 + gst = $105.++

cheaper than car4 which retails at 118 or 108 ? forgot abt the price .
although a few bucks cheaper only.

hi, juz for your info guys,

i juz got a digi cabi from parisilk at holland V,

30l version, CnC at $99 + gst = $105.++

cheaper than car4 which retails at 118 or 108 ? forgot abt the price .
although a few bucks cheaper only.

How heavy is it? Carry-able on public transport? :bsmilie:

hi...all!

Juz wondering after reading the whole 9 pages...I've decided to buy a dry cabi to save the hassel.

Btw Digi-Cabi model DB-036 or AD-050 which 1 would u guys recommend...cause I only have 1 camera n 1 lens for a start.

Or is there any other options? Currently, store everything in the bag plus 1 Thirsty-Hippo Sachet.

I got my Digicab AD 050 last week from Parisilk Holland V - $150, a good deal I think. Distributor quoted $168. Parisilk also stocks 036 at $105 nett ($118 from distributor). Carrefour is out of stock for most models, distributor says he is no longer stocking them.

Give Parisilk a call before visiting, I think they stock only 1 to 2 pieces each time.

I just got my D90 recently as well, after 11 months of convincing myself on the D40. My gear now includes 1 D90 body and 2 lens. Decided on the 50L (AD050) instead as the 30L is really a bit too small. In my Digicab now in addition to the above is my point and shoot Canon and Sony Handycam.

How heavy is it? Carry-able on public transport? :bsmilie:

30L can carry on public transport, 50L a bit heavy, fits the trunk of a car easily.

Recently also just bought a digi cabi. Anyone know where I can get extra foam/sponge mat. Digi Cabi only provide 1 mat + 1 wave sponge. I am not using the wave sponge as not many lens yet...Appreciate any suggesstion....Thanks.

yep, 30l shld be luggable on public transport..

i drove there though... fits my car boot together with a new vaccum cleaner that i bought there too.

Since we're talking about moister protection for our cameras..

Is it possible to "recharge" silica gel by putting them into a electronic dry cabinet?

Put in microwave oven faster & more effective..

It is possible to recharge silica gel.

Since we're talking about moister protection for our cameras..

Is it possible to "recharge" silica gel by putting them into a electronic dry cabinet?

Put in microwave oven faster & more effective..

It is possible to recharge silica gel.

Microwave works? I always thought they'd explode like pop-corn..

Not really lah.. only eggs will explode.. because the egg shell membrane doesn't allow the expanding water in the egg to escape easily.. thus the pressure can build up to dangerous level.

But if you're worried, can use a wok to fly the silica gels.. but don't use the same wok to cook food lah..

Microwave works? I always thought they'd explode like pop-corn..

BTW, I doubt putting in Dry cab can work.. Coz silica gel have very strong affinity for water.. a dry environment won't force out the water. Heat is required to drive out the water.

hi guys, am new to photography as well. my old man has an old and very small drybox which i keep my zoom and prime lens and filters in. however, no space left for my camera and kit lens. so i have the risk of my camera growing fungus.

to cut the story short, should i get a drybox or a drycab? before anyone starts saying drycab, i have to say that i'll be relocating to sydney next year feb for further studies, so i dont think it'll be so wise as to bring a drycab over. would a drybox suffice for now, then when i get there i buy a drycab? or should i just buy a drycab and ship it over?

thanks!

A dry box will do the job...

hi guys, am new to photography as well. my old man has an old and very small drybox which i keep my zoom and prime lens and filters in. however, no space left for my camera and kit lens. so i have the risk of my camera growing fungus.

to cut the story short, should i get a drybox or a drycab? before anyone starts saying drycab, i have to say that i'll be relocating to sydney next year feb for further studies, so i dont think it'll be so wise as to bring a drycab over. would a drybox suffice for now, then when i get there i buy a drycab? or should i just buy a drycab and ship it over?

thanks!

this sounds stupid, but what is a dry box and where can i get it?

i'm reading through these pages here, and i cannot figure out whether the "drybox" you are talking about is simply any box that is dry, or whether it is a name for a particular good storage box :bsmilie:

also, where can i get one?

TIA :)

LeDave has a point:

Some guys like to keep their gear in a bag bcos leceh to bring in and out of dry box/cabinet. So, using some silica gels in the bag sounds like a great idea, bcos u cannot put 'thirsty hippo' because if u forgot about it in a couple of months, the container would have a lot of fluid and spill all over your babies! Wif silica gel, no risks of spilling.

Anyways, I wouldnt buy thirsty hippo as it is really expensive- there's a lot of cheap alternatives out there working just as well costing 60cents to 90 cents per box (450g +/-) and about 30-50cents for a 200g box: Ideal for bros with tight budget: Save the pennies for better lens and equipment.

Those with money to burn, go for dry cabinet.

ermz thirsty hippo got a membrane that prevents spillage

Hi Everyone

There IS something that all of us can I that I am using now. It is called BAMBOO CHARCOAL. You can find it at most hardware shops in the heartlands. Each pack comes with 2 bags. Either in purple, blue or green. Many of us might have seen it but thought nothing of it. In fact, these do not need changing like silica gels. Just place say, 4 of these (depending how big your dry box is) into your drybox and that's it!

You see, these bamboo charcoals do not leak. In fact, they absorb moisture when it is... humid and "release" moisture when it gets too dry whilst in the box. So, in other words... it is a self-regulating product.

Each bag can last up to a year, so take note when you buy them. I have been using these for the past 2 years and everything is good. I place my old 35mm developed negatives in the drybox too. You do not have to worry about static electricity or moisture anymore.

The best thing of all, these 2 bags cost only around $4.50.

Here are the links to back up what I said:-

http://www.blacktonature.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_charcoal

Cheers everyone!

did u use a hygrometer to support ur claims?
AFAIK charcoal dun absorb moisture only odours

Hey guys.

I was thinking about how to control or maintain the humid level in a Air Tight Box(E.g Lock n Lock).

Before you guys start to say buy dry cabinet, why can you afford a few k camera but cant buy dry box etc.

Hear me out..

Is it possible that:

Step1 - Put a Hgdrometer in a Lock n Lock with your camera and a small amount of Slica Gel

Step2 - Read off the meter and wait till the reading is about 50%. Quickly take out the slica gel and lock the box back.

If the meter rise back too much.. Repeat step 1 and instead of 50% reading, wait till 30+% and repeat step 2.

From what i know, as long as the box is 100% airtight, the humid level should not change at all.

Any thoughts?

Anyway, I know a dry cabinet is better but I have my own reasons that having a dry cabinet isnt the ideal solution.

Thanks!

option 2
use ur camera often!
then the humid level will always drop but quickly rescued by ur thirsty hippo.
my camera / lens works well in this combi

hm.. i'm using sillica gels in lock n lock.
coz i use my cam very often thus they are always not inside the container. :)

meaning to say, i seldom open it .. mayb say,, 1once a week. but they stil turns pink. No container is 100% airtight. for wad i know lock and lock is not. mayb those more expensive box for underwater activities are but if thats the case then Dry cab will b better.

not too sure on the RH level now in the box.. wanna get 1 but i dun think i got space for cam+lens+grip+batts,, in the box + 1more meter next time haha. that will depend on how big the meter is.

Cheers!

i use a meter that's like 2 $1 coins in width and 3 $1 coins in thickness.

ermz lock and lock is water tight

that said my dry cabi whcih i haven plug in yet .. is less air/humidity tight than my lock and lock.. cos my thirsty hippo is wet now :(

but its still OK..
but i miss my lock and lock.. but space constraint .. sighz

hi...all!

lock and lock box with sillica gel or thirsty hippo