got people use tupperware or lock lock as dry box?

i use them n put a thirsty hippo in it. no prob. very good.

but sooner or later u might need bigger if lens number increases.

I have seen everything now........ photogs arguing the merits/cons of Tupperware...... :bsmilie:

I have seen everything now........ photogs arguing the merits/cons of Tupperware...... :bsmilie:

how about this - got people use dry box to keep food? :bsmilie:

I've have seen it too. Our photogs very passionate about dry cabinets. No point going against the grain. I just wonder how did the 45% RH come about. The advise is given to every tom dick and harry.
:angel:

My Uncle, who shot my parents wedding 35yrs ago(old bird liao).. teach me to use biscuit tin, put lots of shredded newspaper with 1 can silica gel n close tight can liao.. But i hear liao very scared.. Dono he changed to dry cab system liao bo lol

earlier on when i just got my DSLR, i used a tranlucent lock n lock so i can monintor e gel's color.. Now upgraded to digi cabi after getting it at IT show for $49!! Looks nice n neat, and a bit PRO-er than my lock n lock la..;)

yes i do keep my stuff in a dry box.
but like many CSers here, i believe that frying the silica beads will have no positive effect on health, no amount of money saved will be enough for lung cancer treatment.

i have a practice of using a bottle per 2 months, and discarding the contents for a new bottle when its depleted and used.

hope this helps.

PS: i'm using a lock'n'lock box.

I am doing the same as well ... thus far for 3 years, no problem at all, periodically change silica once per month ...

I recently bought the i-case dry box from ms colour, is the hydrometer accurate? it seems that small hit could change the reading by abit.

My Uncle, who shot my parents wedding 35yrs ago(old bird liao).. teach me to use biscuit tin, put lots of shredded newspaper with 1 can silica gel n close tight can liao.. But i hear liao very scared.. Dono he changed to dry cab system liao bo lol

earlier on when i just got my DSLR, i used a tranlucent lock n lock so i can monintor e gel's color.. Now upgraded to digi cabi after getting it at IT show for $49!! Looks nice n neat, and a bit PRO-er than my lock n lock la..;)

Well, whatever he's getting, it should perform better then a biscuit tin. What brand was the biscuit tin, Khong Guan?

Cheers:)

Me using Tupperware with 500gm of Silica Gel 1 bottle for $5 bucks. 3 lenses and one body.

Too dry? maybe. I periodically open up and feel the strap on the kx. the Faux leather part. If too hard, I will take out and play play awhile before i put it back in.

Silica Gel is non-toxic, I don't know how it can get carcinogenic =/ to be safe just fry/reheat in a pot that you no longer use for cooking.

You just simply apply heat to evaporate the moisture trapped in the gel. shall go do more research on it. Anyway almost 3 weeks and the gel not even a slightest change in colour. Think it must be too dry. No point for me getting cabinet cos im leaving SG in a few months.

let see if u can keep doing this one year later.

Just note for the newbies again.

If you decided to do this method.

Please note that the amount of silica gel varies to achieve the required level.

If you have one body and one lens, the amount to put is different with one body and 3 lens.

Too much cannot (become too dry), Too little cannot (not effective).

So why have so much headache over this?

Just get a dry cabinet to solve your problem and put your concentration on shooting instead of doing 'calculation' after each shoot.

:)
i have been doing this for over 2 years now :)

Thanks for the concern though, i will buy a dry cab someday.

I just need to convince my parents to not turn off the electricity to "save energy" before that.

i have been doing this for over 2 years now :)

Thanks for the concern though, i will buy a dry cab someday.

I just need to convince my parents to not turn off the electricity to "save energy" before that.

Are they aware of the power consumption of the digicabi in the first place? Its like 5W.
5 x 24 h x 31 days = 3.720 kWh.

@23.56 cents per kWh , it will cost you less than 88 cents per month.

Initial costs of the digicabi aside, I think the buying of gel and roasting it in mircowaves/oven etc. (which also consumes electricity) doesn't add up to much savings for the hassle.

If I missed something in the calculations, please correct me. :)

Last edited:
I recently bought the i-case dry box from ms colour, is the hydrometer accurate? it seems that small hit could change the reading by abit.

yeap, the hydrometer is pretty accurate. am using it too, saving for a dry cabi. :sweatsm:

Are they aware of the power consumption of the digicabi in the first place? Its like 5W.
5 x 24 h x 31 days = 3.720 kWh.

@23.56 cents per kWh , it will cost you less than 88 cents per month.

Initial costs of the digicabi aside, I think the buying of gel and roasting it in mircowaves/oven etc. (which also consumes electricity) doesn't add up to much savings for the hassle.

If I missed something in the calculations, please correct me. :)
haha, its not about the mathematics, my friend.
its more of a quirky side of my parents only I will see.
Now that you've come up with calculations for that, that gives me one more valid point to buy a drycab.

i use lock and lock for my camera gear...
i have a dry cabinet too... but it's for my certificate and plant seeds...
actually i don't get the purpose of this thread. what is it exactly that u wanna ask?
i've been a happy user of lock and lock for 5-6 yrs... maybe i can help.

Last edited:
haha, its not about the mathematics, my friend.
its more of a quirky side of my parents only I will see.
Now that you've come up with calculations for that, that gives me one more valid point to buy a drycab.

I understand. About the maths part, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just wondering if I really put the numbers in correctly. :)

If you house owns an aircon (which mine don't), you can tell them one hour less of aircon can power the digicabi for (about) 200 hours.

hi everyone,

i am newbie. i got satay fetish so recently bought a nikon d3000 to take pictures of satay :lovegrin: thinking of doing a bokeh on a satay with the bbq pit as background...the glowing embers will make the pic shiok. ;p

a lot of ppl in this forum seem to buy dry boxes and cabinet to keep their gear. just want to know if anyone uses food tupperware or any airtight food containers instead. i know of a friend in his 60s who keeps his lenses and film slr in food jars meant for kimchi. he said it's fine just that when the silica gel turns pink have to fry it in a wok.

looking forward to learning new things in this forum. thks.

I do keep some of my lenses in airtight boxes with silica gel. Every 2 months take silica gel and fry...lots of water vapour man. The gel also last very long time. So if you run out of space, this is always an option. Nothing wrong with it.