Sillica gel; thirsty hippo; dry boxes; dehumidifier lamp in a cupboard which one?

Silica Gel; Thirsty Hippo; DryCabinet, Which ONE??

Results are only viewable after voting.

BTW, I doubt putting in Dry cab can work.. Coz silica gel have very strong affinity for water.. a dry environment won't force out the water. Heat is required to drive out the water.

yups
tried it to recharge my sillica.. doesn't work .. confirmed!

Just bought a "Olee" Mini dehumidifier at Home-fix last week, promotion $29.90 for 2 units, worth it , put 1 in my drybox, the humidity is maintained at 40-42%....nice...try it..it is rechargeable some more !!!

Give it a full weeks time, if the RH is still 40-42%, then you meter is faulty or box is leaking. It should reach at least 30% and down to 25% if the meter can take low reading properly.

Just bought a "Olee" Mini dehumidifier at Home-fix last week, promotion $29.90 for 2 units, worth it , put 1 in my drybox, the humidity is maintained at 40-42%....nice...try it..it is rechargeable some more !!!

Last edited:

may i know which outlets that u purchase it?

thanks

thanks

I got it from the HomeFix at Anchorpoint, other branch should have it too...

Last edited:

thanks

I saw it was being sold at HomeFix in the new shopping mall at Farrer Park two weeks ago. No guarantees on stock availability now though.

anyone know where to get those small sachet of silica gel? i went several shops but they sell only one big bottle of it... intending to get small packs for overseas usage

anyone know where to get those small sachet of silica gel? i went several shops but they sell only one big bottle of it... intending to get small packs for overseas usage

Home-fix do sell packeted silica gel, go down and find it, they have it.

If you really can't find which shop is selling.
You can buy the bottle of silica gel & DIY.

Those neighbourhood shops got sell those netting, some are net bags with zips for washing clothes in washing machine.
normal net will also do, put the gel in & tie it up.

i did one & throw inside my bag ;)

back from my trip. got the big bottle from Cathay and place it inside those film cartridges with many holes poked myself.

anyway cathay do sell those ready made small containers with the silica inside, but think about the $$ i decided to DIY.

hi guys, i got a question regarding my silica gel. i understand that the best is to keep my dry box at around 48% humidity. i bought a dry box and the hygrometer shows me 48% for 1 week. however after 1 week, it shows 65% so i took the silica gel out and use a hot hairdryer to blow for about 2 minutes, the pink silica gel turn back into purple. i put it back but after 3-4 days, the hygrometer did not go back to below 50% and still shows about 60%. any reason why is this so? i do not want to put it into the oven as not very hygienic and many say it is poisonous.

hi guys, i got a question regarding my silica gel. i understand that the best is to keep my dry box at around 48% humidity. i bought a dry box and the hygrometer shows me 48% for 1 week. however after 1 week, it shows 65% so i took the silica gel out and use a hot hairdryer to blow for about 2 minutes, the pink silica gel turn back into purple. i put it back but after 3-4 days, the hygrometer did not go back to below 50% and still shows about 60%. any reason why is this so? i do not want to put it into the oven as not very hygienic and many say it is poisonous.

Give the hygrometer a bit of time or put it right beside the silica sometimes they dun react fast. I assume it's a digital hygro?

Give the hygrometer a bit of time or put it right beside the silica sometimes they dun react fast. I assume it's a digital hygro?

ermm. its those analog one i tink. not digital. those got needle will point to the number one. i got it from MS colour. gave the hygrometer abt 3 days already. the most it drop about 5-10% only. to 60%, which i doubt is the optimum humidity level.

ermm. its those analog one i tink. not digital. those got needle will point to the number one. i got it from MS colour. gave the hygrometer abt 3 days already. the most it drop about 5-10% only. to 60%, which i doubt is the optimum humidity level.

Oh its one of those stand alone ones? not integrated with dry cabi?
I have one.
sometimes when there's no air circulation the needle wont move. anyway the analog ones are pretty inaccurate depending on model ..

actually some ppl use silica gel AS the humidity meter / backup..
so i think you are fine actually.
plus the lens isn't kept in dry cabi when they are in boxes to be sold..
seriously i think there's no need to be overly protective.

guys , does homefix sell the digi box ?

i live in the west side of sg , need to get one for my cam ... or anywhere in the west side

Thanks n happy holiday

hi all,

can anyone intro me a dry cabinet? hmm a small one will do, as i onli have a dslr and a few lens. i dunno much about dry cabinets and the price also... soo wondering if u guys can help me a little. i've read through the whole thread and i think i've decided to get a dry cabinet. of coz its if i can get a cheap one it'll be way better haha! currently i onli noe like two shops selling. i tot of getting the cheapest one from here http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/dry-cabinets-c-39_66.html any other better suggestions? tight budget lol!

btw i'm quite worried about power consumption as its 24hrs on going one rite.....

tks!

Do i need a dry cabinet if im using a PnS with a few filters?

maybe not dry cabinet as i feel its overkill, how about a dry box?

While waiting to gather all the families and friend to derive the decision, meanwhile, walk into a hypermarket, get a quality airtight lunch box (not the cheapo one as some have uneven cover). A packet (not bottled form) thirsty hippo and keep them togther. Shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to do that.
Then once you have finally derived the decision of a cabinet or drybox, you can wash the lunch box properly for other storage.

Do i need a dry cabinet if im using a PnS with a few filters?

maybe not dry cabinet as i feel its overkill, how about a dry box?