Recommendation in buying a new DSLR(Beginner)

So what will be the best way for me to do now? To keep the lens and get a sony dslr?

Film is still fun to shoot. So I suggest you keep the film camera and this lens, in case you want to shoot film in the future.

It will work on a Sony Alpha. And can be useful when you do travelling. I suggest you keep it. You can probably get a lot less than $200 for this lens if you sell it. Not worth it. Keep it and use it. But before you use it, make sure you check that the lens and camera are both free from fungus.

BTW the full description of your lens is this:
SIGMA 28-200MM, F3.8-5.6UC ASPHERICAL (Sony/Minolta Mount).

So I should purchase together with the kit? Isit risky to just purchase the body?

Go to a shop and test your lens on the body first before you buy. If can use, then you can consider getting Sony Dslr. Coz if you can get a Sony dslr + kit lens, your 28-200mm can add as your telephoto in arsenal for longer focal length. As mentioned earlier, a cropped sensor will have a cropped FOV which makes the focal length seems even further. Thus, you would have a body+18-55mm + 42-300mm(due cropped fov).

If you don't wana keep the lens, just sell it and start afresh.:)

Erm my budget will be below $1000, as I want to be independent and use my own savings to purchase one. And I wonder how much can my lens be sold for?

A brand new a330 with lens and freebies (and free dslr course conducted by Sony) cost $7xx. too bad u didn't buy it during pc show, they gave out an additional free lens for the same price (total 2 lens).

The a230 with lens and memory stick (and of cos the free dslr cours3) i think cost around $5xx only. Pretty cheap.

Best is Sony a300 with lens can be bought for $400 (infact someone is selling it now in bns)

But if u can afford it, go for the a500 or a550. Should be within ur budget.

Last edited:
Depends on you.18-55 would be good for landscapes as its 18mm wide whereas your 28-200 is only 28mm wide:)

Alright. Then is there any cons when I use the old SLR lens? Just know there is one guy who explained to me about the old SLR lens, but I don't really understood what he meant as I'm totally a noob in this.

Alright. Then is there any cons when I use the old SLR lens? Just know there is one guy who explained to me about the old SLR lens, but I don't really understood what he meant as I'm totally a noob in this.

I don't think so:dunno:

ok... here is my suggest since u are planning to get it from installment... why not u start saving and not buy it first... then slowly do research on the camera and the 2nd hand thingy... and by the time u save up... tadaa, its the next IT show at expo which should be about another 2-3month time... and then we might be able to get a good package like wat torak have said

Just now Octarine said:

"I wouldn't focus too much on that old lens. Sure, it is a nice option to have this lens but there is one thing not to forget: crop factor. 28mm on an old film SLR is a nice wide angle. But on digital cameras with their smaller sensor (all your listed cameras have a sensor that is smaller than the film negative) these 28mm focal length are not very wide anymore. They will become similar to 45mm on film, which is close to 'normal view'. Reason is the so-called crop factor / DSLR Magnification factor.
It's not retarded but very reasonable to start with the kit lens that comes with the DSLR. It is wider than your old lens (kit lenses start at 17mm usually) and caters for the crop sensor effect and it covers a very commonly used range of focal length."

What does it mean?

Sorry i catch no ball but at least its 10mm wider right?

TS and Cleonbus,

2801359364_56e4733c6a_o.jpg

Basically, cropped sensor as its name suggested, is cropped. Thus, the field of view is also cropped. Just like the image shows, a FX circle on a DX sensor means there's a cropping effect...

reposting on behalf of Bro Octarine again, if you wana read up...

TS and Cleonbus,

2801359364_56e4733c6a_o.jpg

Basically, cropped sensor as its name suggested, is cropped. Thus, the field of view is also cropped. Just like the image shows, a FX circle on a DX sensor means there's a cropping effect...

reposting on behalf of Bro Octarine again, if you wana read up...

Do you get what i mean?

TS is not getting a FF leh.Why DX and FX comparison?

I'm just saying 18mm(After x1.5 its 27mm)(Which is good enough for landscapes) is 10mm(After x1.5 its 15mm) wider than 28mm(After x1.5 its 42mm)(Which is not as good as the 18mm wide angle).

Last edited:
I think there is a misunderstanding. But when people talk about focal length, they will tend to refer to the FOV (field of view) in 35mm format terms.

So 18 will be 27mm FOV and 24mm will be 36mm FOV.

This question refers to my posting where I mentioned that the 28-200 lens will not be useful on a crop sensor DSLR due to crop factor.

Erm I don't really have much knowledge in photography. I once joined the photography club in my school, and after using the dslr for a few times, I started to develop interest in it. And I wonder isit retarded to get a good dslr with just the lens that come with it, or get the dslr that my old lens can fit into it will be better?

I'm amazed how i have much more photography knowledge than my school photography girls... no offence to ts tho ;) its good that you're here to ask questions. This forum is great in all respects.

I have to agree with Octarine, 28mm is really not wide enough. Indoors i often find myself backing into a wall while its also not wide enuf for landscapes either.

Do you get what i mean?

I'm just saying 18mm(Which is good enough for landscapes) is 10mm wider than 28mm(Which is not as good as the 18mm wide angle).

Do you get what I mean, Mr Cleonbus...Do you understand when TS mentioned
SIGMA Aspherical 28-200mm lens which was from my old SLR.
, what lens is he really talking about?

Can you read up on the blue link, pls? Do you know what TS will see in his viewfinder if he mount his 28-200mm on a APSC sensor Dslr? 28mm - 18mm=10mm is the wrong math here, I'm sorry to say...

Last edited:
Do you get what I mean, Mr Cleonbus...Do you understand when TS mentioned , what lens is he really talking about?

Can you read up on the blue link, pls? Do you know what TS will see in his viewfinder if he mount his 28-200mm on a APSC sensor Dslr? 28mm - 18mm=10mm is the wrong math here, I'm sorry to say...

18mm x 1.5(Lets say its 1.5x) = 27mm
28mm x 1.5(Lets say its 1.5x) = 42mm

42mm-27mm=15mm.So after x1.5 its 15mm wider:)

At least the 18-55 kit lens will give TS a wider angle right?

NOW DO YOU GET WHAT I MEAN?????????

And pls,stop talking about FF.TS is not getting a A850 or A900.

Last edited:
cleonbus / ovaltinemilo: Slow down, guys! You are both right. But you seem to stand back to back shouting in different directions.. still blaming the other one for not listening :)

cleonbus / ovaltinemilo: Slow down, guys! You are both right. But you seem to stand back to back shouting in different directions.. still blaming the other one for not listening :)

I'm very slow already leh:bsmilie:

See post number 46 of this thread.What ovaltinemilo posted i already catch no ball:dunno:

18mm x 1.5(Lets say its 1.5x) = 27mm
28mm x 1.5(Lets say its 1.5x) = 42mm

At least the 18-55 kit lens will give TS a wider angle right?

NOW DO YOU GET WHAT I MEAN?????????

And pls,stop talking about FF.TS is not getting a A850 or A900.

Do you get what i mean?

I'm just saying 18mm(Which is good enough for landscapes) is 10mm wider than 28mm(Which is not as good as the 18mm wide angle).

Then how to get 10mm wider?
28mm x 1.5(Lets say its 1.5x) = 42mm --> don't understand