Recommendation in buying a new DSLR(Beginner)

wilsonczh

Jun 21, 2010
East~
Hey guys, need some recommendation from you guys as I am going to get a new DSLR. Well, I gotta choose from this following choices.

1.) Nikon D3000
2.) Canon 1000D
3.) Sony A230L
4.) Sony A330L

Well I only can choose from these four dslr due to some reason. So guys can you give some feedback on which dslr will be the best? Thanks :)

And I do have a SIGMA Aspherical 28-200mm lens which was from my old SLR. I wonder if this lens fits into any one of the above DSLR?

What's the mount for the sigma?

The question is better phrased as: What was your old camera? What brand/model?

If you want to reuse the Sigma with your new camera, get the same brand as your old camera.

If you had an old Nikon, get a Nikon, because the mount is the same.

HTH.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The question is better phrased as: What was your old camera? What brand/model?

If you want to reuse the Sigma with your new camera, get the same brand as your old camera.

If you had an old Nikon, get a Nikon, because the mount is the same.

HTH.

Cheers!

Erm I used the MINOLTA 505si super, which is an old SLR. Its about 10years old already and I wonder if the lens is still up to date to match with the new DSLR. And sorry, I only can get one of the above DSLR. If it really cant fits, then guys please do recommend me the best among these 4! Thanks

was about to ask you to check out pentax k-x for begginers. Very awesome start up, but i suppose your lens most likely should be a sony/minolta mount lens. Apologise if i add more for you to vex over but you would not get short changed over the k-x.

As Sony bought over Minolta some years back, I'm sure it will fit the new range of Alpha dSLR cameras. If you can increase your budget, consider getting an Alpha 500 or 550.

I am presuming here, but I believe you have photography knowledge, only getting to terms with digital dSLRs. Getting a mid range camera would be good as you already have some knowledge of how to take pictures.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Erm I used the MINOLTA 505si super, which is an old SLR. Its about 10years old already and I wonder if the lens is still up to date to match with the new DSLR. And sorry, I only can get one of the above DSLR. If it really cant fits, then guys please do recommend me the best among these 4! Thanks

Like what Ding said,Sony bought over KM a few years ago.Get a A330 then...

If you want to use back your Minolta lens, you can probably use it on the Sony Alpha cameras since they took over Minolta and is still using the same mount.

Odd that you can only choose from the 4 choices. For the money, a Pentax Kx is a far better buy.

Given your limitations, probably the A330L

how about Pentax Kx... its quite cheap u know...

does ur old sigma lens have fungus?... i use to tot of using my father old lens too, but its all fungus up, so never use

does ur old sigma lens have fungus?... i use to tot of using my father old lens too, but its all fungus up, so never use

Sorry to hear that.

I am still using my father's old lenses, some are 30+ yr old some are 20+ year old. All are fungus free. Good thing my dad knows about dry cabs, and silica gels (before dry cabs were readily available).

As Sony bought over Minolta some years back, I'm sure it will fit the new range of Alpha dSLR cameras. If you can increase your budget, consider getting an Alpha 500 or 550.

I am presuming here, but I believe you have photography knowledge, only getting to terms with digital dSLRs. Getting a mid range camera would be good as you already have some knowledge of how to take pictures.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Erm I don't really have much knowledge in photography. I once joined the photography club in my school, and after using the dslr for a few times, I started to develop interest in it. And I wonder isit retarded to get a good dslr with just the lens that come with it, or get the dslr that my old lens can fit into it will be better?

Last edited:

Nope! Glad that there isn't fungus growing on it :)

... if really dunno, but want to fit. bring your lens to the camera shop la.~ the shop uncle sure can tell you whether it fits. john3:16 would even bring out the camera (if they have) to let you try whether if fits.

I'm a proud user of a 1000D myself, but at this time you may want to consider the 550D instead due to its capabilities and pricing.

Still... if you have a handful of old lenses that are of KM/Sony mount, then just go for a Sony =)

Erm I don't really have much knowledge in photography. I once joined the photography club in my school, and after using the dslr for a few times, I started to develop interest in it. And I wonder isit retarded to get a good dslr with just the lens that come with it, or get the dslr that my old lens can fit into it will be better?

The lens will fit any Sony DSLR as they share the same mount. I would suggest that you go to the shops to try out the A230/330 first as many people are not comfortable with the grip. Otherwise, as what bro dingaroo mentioned, get the A500/550 which has a better grip and performance instead.

Dear TS,

Here's my opinion. The lens that you have would be able to mount onto the new Alpha series from Sony. In that sense, you already have a head start. You might first want to scope around to determine your budget. Once decided on your budget, dropby a reputable camera shop and try out the camera. If you're getting the Sony, bring along your lens to test it. Hold the camera in your hand and see how it fits. When you're happy and ready, make your purchase. Sounds pretty simple, right?

I would suggets that if you're getting the Sony, just get the body. Play around with your old lens (provided it still works) till you decide if you want to venture more styles with different lens.

I wouldn't focus too much on that old lens. Sure, it is a nice option to have this lens but there is one thing not to forget: crop factor. 28mm on an old film SLR is a nice wide angle. But on digital cameras with their smaller sensor (all your listed cameras have a sensor that is smaller than the film negative) these 28mm focal length are not very wide anymore. They will become similar to 45mm on film, which is close to 'normal view'. Reason is the so-called crop factor / DSLR Magnification factor.
It's not retarded but very reasonable to start with the kit lens that comes with the DSLR. It is wider than your old lens (kit lenses start at 17mm usually) and caters for the crop sensor effect and it covers a very commonly used range of focal length.
Since you don't state the condition of the lens it's better not to bet on it. If it's still usable then maybe you can sell it here in Buy&Sell.
Back to your main question: go to the shops and feel the cameras. They all are able to deliver good pictures, nothing to worry about that. But you need to feel comfortable using it, comfortable with weight, position of dials, menu structure, ergonomics... Focus on that first, for everything else you need more knowledge.

I wouldn't focus too much on that old lens. Sure, it is a nice option to have this lens but there is one thing not to forget: crop factor. 28mm on an old film SLR is a nice wide angle. But on digital cameras with their smaller sensor (all your listed cameras have a sensor that is smaller than the film negative) these 28mm focal length are not very wide anymore. They will become similar to 45mm on film, which is close to 'normal view'. Reason is the so-called crop factor / DSLR Magnification factor.
It's not retarded but very reasonable to start with the kit lens that comes with the DSLR. It is wider than your old lens (kit lenses start at 17mm usually) and caters for the crop sensor effect and it covers a very commonly used range of focal length.
Since you don't state the condition of the lens it's better not to bet on it. If it's still usable then maybe you can sell it here in Buy&Sell.
Back to your main question: go to the shops and feel the cameras. They all are able to deliver good pictures, nothing to worry about that. But you need to feel comfortable using it, comfortable with weight, position of dials, menu structure, ergonomics... Focus on that first, for everything else you need more knowledge.

:thumbsup: +1

I agree with Octarine's view on this. 28-200 is not exactly a very good range for a APS-C sensor camera like all the ones TS listed. Plus, if I remember correctly, the sigma 28-200 is not a particularly great lens as well.

To what I know some old Minolta AF lens can still be used on Sony. The mount is compatible. Anyway, Sony do offer quite a few nice DSLRs to choose from. Even if you move to other brands, you could just sell your lens on CS BS section as the lens, in my opinion, is not too significant a push/pull factor unless you are getting a FF cam. Even if you do get a FF cam, are you sure the glass of this old lens is fine? If not, you can just get a whole set of new system to kick start.