Problems encountered with your Leica!

astroboy888

Jul 24, 2010
East Coast Road.
Just wanted to know the various issues you have faced over the days,months or years with your Leica cameras or lenses.

Just to start the ball rolling, I'm now into my 2nd M9 and both have given me problems.

1st one had issues with not reading the memory card properly.

2nd camera has suddenly developed a sticky shutter overnight and also rangefinder not working at times. ( camera turned on and no 2nd image to align.

I feel a little disappointed with Leica especially after paying so much for the cameras. Both my cameras developed issues within 1 to 2mths of purchase.

I really hope that I have better luck with a MP that I'm buying.

Hope all is well Jon, maybe u can share with us what action u took afterwhich too, think those are worth sharing too.

one of my lens was kinda stucked at the aperture ring 2 weeks after purchase, brought it to schmidt, they replaced me one with a new batch (2 weeks after), and offered to clean my M8 LCD, for free.. good service.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just wanted to know the various issues you have faced over the days,months or years with your Leica cameras or lenses.

Just to start the ball rolling, I'm now into my 2nd M9 and both have given me problems.

2nd camera has suddenly developed a sticky shutter overnight and also rangefinder not working at times. ( camera turned on and no 2nd image to align.

I feel a little disappointed with Leica especially after paying so much for the cameras. Both my cameras developed issues within 1 to 2mths of purchase.

Bro, so sorry to hear about your M9s. MP being mechanical will definitely be more reliable. Don't let this experience take away the joy of RF.

You know about my M9 issue too right? I suggest you write in to Leica Germany to feedback.

Something is very wrong if your alignment image does not show up in your viewfinder because it is supposed to show up all the time, whether the camera is on or not, it will even show up if you remove the battery.

First M9 steel grey, out of the box, 1 dead hot pixel right at the golden 1/3 line! AND both vert & horizontal RF alignments are out.

Replacement black M9 - horizontal RF alignment out at infinity. (fixed it by DIY after 30 iterations :cool:)

Before that M8 and M8.2 - all have focusing and dead pixels problems.

M6 Classic #227xxxx, problem free since new (more than 15 years easily.) Only 1 CLA done by Sherry Krauter during MP finder upgrade. Way smoother than my new MP 0.85, nearly as smooth as my M4.

Hi there,
Just sharing my experience on Leica cameras. I have a Digilux 3 & M8.2 and must say that I am very lucky indeed as both cam did not give me any problem at all. All the time I thought there were only "isolated" cases of problem with Leica M9 only.

The Digilux 3 is a Panasonic product, rebadged as a Leica one.

Hi there,
Just sharing my experience on Leica cameras. I have a Digilux 3 & M8.2 and must say that I am very lucky indeed as both cam did not give me any problem at all. All the time I thought there were only "isolated" cases of problem with Leica M9 only.

For M8/M8.2 users, do this test: cover the camera with its body cap, set ISO to anything higher than 640, speed=1/30. shoot. Hit Play, zoom to max mag.scan across frame, move up and then across frame until you hit red or blue or green dot(s). If none found, tomorrow go buy TOTO. :bsmilie:

Hi there,

The memory card issue was experienced by many of the early batches of M9s. My M9 died 3days after I got it from the AD, and I got them to replace it with another within a week. But I think that issue should be largely resolved by now. My "replacement" M9 has been ok for the last 11 months. I have not experienced the issue (touch wood) you mentioned on your 2nd camera.

I also have an MP which has worked very well since I bought it slightly more than a year ago.

I am assuming your M9s have both been fixed since?

Sold the 1st M9 with the problem unsolved, new owner is aware of the issue and will take it up with Leica. The camera works but not with all memory cards of the same brand or type. More of a hit and miss situation.

My present problem is not resolved yet. I tried calling Andrew for a whole day on the 4th in the office but his extension did not answer.

I will try calling again on Monday. I am leaving for Japan for 15 days in Dec so obviously, would want to have my 9 with me.

The only positive thing that can come out of all this if the camera has to be sent back to Germany is that I am going to request for some nice engraving to be done.

Sadly, I don't even dare let my non Leica (Canon or Nikon) friends know of the problem. As it is, they give me a hard time for paying top dollar for a digital that is pretty inferior to theirs apart from the build and full frame.

Yes, I still cling on to the love affair with my mistress (Leica). You can't change what your heart tells you....... Am I a romantic or a fool?

Something is very wrong if your alignment image does not show up in your viewfinder because it is supposed to show up all the time, whether the camera is on or not, it will even show up if you remove the battery.

Problem is that mine has issue with this. Many times I have to turn off the camera to rectify the issue of just shoot 1 frame then it appears again.

From what I heard, everyone in Schmidt has gone to Macau for some event, they will be back on Monday.

For M8/M8.2 users, do this test: cover the camera with its body cap, set ISO to anything higher than 640, speed=1/30. shoot. Hit Play, zoom to max mag.scan across frame, move up and then across frame until you hit red or blue or green dot(s). If none found, tomorrow go buy TOTO. :bsmilie:

What is it supposed to prove? dead pixels?

Since I got my M8 , it has been to Germany for 3 times.

Tomorrow after I send it in, it will be the fourth ;)

Dont know I unlucky or what, the shutter just jam by itself while I was shooting today .

I feel that our local agent must improve their services, instead of sending them back all the time. They should have skill technician to fix these cameras since there's a big pool of digital M users now in Singapore.

Sold the 1st M9 with the problem unsolved, new owner is aware of the issue and will take it up with Leica. The camera works but not with all memory cards of the same brand or type. More of a hit and miss situation.

My present problem is not resolved yet. I tried calling Andrew for a whole day on the 4th in the office but his extension did not answer.

I will try calling again on Monday. I am leaving for Japan for 15 days in Dec so obviously, would want to have my 9 with me.

The only positive thing that can come out of all this if the camera has to be sent back to Germany is that I am going to request for some nice engraving to be done.

Sadly, I don't even dare let my non Leica (Canon or Nikon) friends know of the problem. As it is, they give me a hard time for paying top dollar for a digital that is pretty inferior to theirs apart from the build and full frame.

Yes, I still cling on to the love affair with my mistress (Leica). You can't change what your heart tells you....... Am I a romantic or a fool?

Oh no, I hope you get your problem resolved soon. Cheers.

this has the potential of becoming one of those "ranting" threads, where one person's deadpixel evolves through the 2nd-3rd-4th-...-xth party into the the sensor exploded, whch knocked off the viewfinder alignment, and caused the shutter to be stuck!!

also, while there have been reported electronic, firmware, machanical issues with the camera, some faults can be caused by the user (often not done on purpose). one can argue that one pays top dollar and it shouldn't happen regardless... e.g. leaving your lens cap off and "burning your shutter blades" (similar to burning a hole in your curtain) can cause the metal blades to warp ever so slightly with extended exposure and thus get stuck. i am not suggest that this is the cause for the various "stuck shutters" reported before, but pls consider eliminating user error first before simply blaming your equipment.

not sure how much to expect, but pls keep this thread constructive and not let it degenerate...

My MP viewfinder cracked from the inside after 3 days even tho i baby it.

Still takes perfect pics though....i am over the pain.

Waiting for parts to arrive for Andrew to replace.

My M8.2 and M9 was perfect in my non fussy hands.

Last edited:
this has the potential of becoming one of those "ranting" threads, where one person's deadpixel evolves through the 2nd-3rd-4th-...-xth party into the the sensor exploded, whch knocked off the viewfinder alignment, and caused the shutter to be stuck!!

also, while there have been reported electronic, firmware, machanical issues with the camera, some faults can be caused by the user (often not done on purpose). one can argue that one pays top dollar and it shouldn't happen regardless... e.g. leaving your lens cap off and "burning your shutter blades" (similar to burning a hole in your curtain) can cause the metal blades to warp ever so slightly with extended exposure and thus get stuck. i am not suggest that this is the cause for the various "stuck shutters" reported before, but pls consider eliminating user error first before simply blaming your equipment.

not sure how much to expect, but pls keep this thread constructive and not let it degenerate...

Dear Moderator, I appreciate your concern that this thread might degenerate into one of those rants. I did not have that in mind when I started this especially as I have met several of the regular contributors on the RF section. They all seem to be matured individuals if not for the fact most are totally passionate about RF and Leica's.

I have nothing against the brand but just wanted to let others know of the issues I am facing and also hoped to hear of any that others have faced. I will definitely not blame the brand for any of my own mistakes and will also let all know of the final outcome once the camera has made it's way back to the local agent.