Problems encountered with your Leica!

Sorry guys, have not the chance to finish my current roll of Tri-X in the M6 for me to send it to the doctor. I target to send this in before the 24 Nov though.

Cactus jack, yes you are right about the ''too far from correct exposure'' for the meter to work. I read about that, and did make test such as shooting at ISO's 200,400,800, 1600, and at the same time varying the aperture based on a rough estimate of the lighting conditions. Even at 10am in the morning sunlit bedroom, I couldnt get a reading off the meter!

I have tried it wound, unwound, half pressing, all shutter speeds too, and to no avail. It used to work at 1/4, but now its completely dead. I must have strangled it with my Voigtlander strap or something :)

What I have not done though, is to clean out the contact points between the camera and lens. I also have not cleaned the contact point where the diode (metering) is. Hopefully I get to do this today.

Just an update that my M6 (Classic) is now winding and firing to its full potential after a medical at Chiif's :bsmilie: (Thanks man!) (Oh btw, I've been 'cleared' for Thursday :))

Just an update that my M6 (Classic) is now winding and firing to its full potential after a medical at Chiif's :bsmilie: (Thanks man!) (Oh btw, I've been 'cleared' for Thursday :))

Wah! Congrats! Take lots of photos and go for massage everyday! Remember to drink lots of Singha! :bsmilie:

Finally decided to try Leica M9.

But after reading all the scary thing about M9's problems, it seems like getting a lemon Leica M9 is a random thing.

Any bro here bought a new M9 with problems?

Any serial numbers to go by to avoid issues?

But after reading all the scary thing about M9's problems, it seems like getting a lemon Leica M9 is a random thing.

Honestly, I haven't heard anyone without any problem with M9... :bsmilie:

M9 users got to love the problems the M9 is giving them... otherwise, there's no difference from getting a Canon or Nikon... live would be too boring... :bsmilie:

OK... flame me... :flame:

Every electronic camera has it hiccups .. after all it all chips and programs ..
So let anyone here that has a 100% stable PC standup .. chiif ?

If you look at the M9 as a scale down (many many time computer) you might sleep better

I am one that has no problem with my M9

Honestly, I haven't heard anyone without any problem with M9...

M9 users got to love the problems the M9 is giving them... otherwise, there's no difference from getting a Canon or Nikon... live would be too boring... :bsmilie:

:hammer: :flame: :bsmilie:

Honestly, I haven't heard anyone without any problem with M9... :bsmilie:

stop trolling...

general reminder to all, pls keep this thread constructive.

Thanks for all the advise.

But of all the issues, Moire is something i hate. And I hate post processing. Always like to shoot and show. Is it a very common sightings in the daily photos taken with M9?

Online forums seem to have mixed views.

Just some teasing... Nothing harmful comments. Lowlights and I are great pals and we always agree to disagree. :)

Back to the question.... Do leica M9 require lots of post processing...

If one shoots properly, there is nothing to post process. if the image out of the camera is junk, then there will be lots of post processing. The M9 will not turn a lousy photography to be a great one. But it does slow down a photographer and make him take some time to compose and take a good picture.

In this aspect, many leica photographers feel that they need less time for post processing. Not because the camera does wonders, just that the photographer take more care in making thr photograph.

Hope that helps.

Just some teasing... Nothing harmful comments. Lowlights and I are great pals and we always agree to disagree. :)

If one shoots properly, there is nothing to post process. if the image out of the camera is junk, then there will be lots of post processing. The M9 will not turn a lousy photography to be a great one. But it does slow down a photographer and make him take some time to compose and take a good picture.

In this aspect, many leica photographers feel that they need less time for post processing. Not because the camera does wonders, just that the photographer take more care in making thr photograph.

Hope that helps.

Well said! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Chiif!!!

Was too busy today with work. Could not meet up as mentioned.

I drop by soon!!!

I'm not sure if this was the idea behind the "problems with Leica", but in the digital sensor race, Leica is not a front runner. so you often hear critics benchmarking or compare them to other sensors, and yes, noise, moire, wb all come into the discussion. But if you accept that, it's then a matter of your digital workflow (you mentioned M9).

As chiif said, no camera is going to make a lousy cameraman a good photographer. But I also think that most shots can be enhanced with some amount of post-processing - I'm not talking overhauls here, just that delta to make a good photo better. Little tweak on the contrast and levels, adjusting the wb, some dodging / burning... Just that little delta.

I usually shoot RAW, and run through only the photos that i want to keep, and that usually only takes me about 10sec to 1min per pic to open, adjust, edit, and save as jpg. But if you shoot jpeg, differences in results may be more obvious as you might be putting yourself back a generation or 2 of sensor development.

Honestly, you're not buying the M9 because of it's superb sensor... To me, one should be buying it because it's a digital rangefinder, and fortunately or unfortunately, Leica currently has a stranglehold of that niche segment of the market.

Hope that helps.

Well said, Chiif. I have problem with my M9 but I am still loving it!!! Anyway, I think er.... most of us know that you're just joking! :bsmilie: This place is getting really serious these days.

Last edited:
Anyway, I think er.... most of us know that you're just joking! :bsmilie: This place is getting really serious these days.
Oh cry me a river... if I did not even half suspect that it was saying it in jest, he would have received a formal reprimand.

chiif and I are great pals and can always agree to disagree too... :p

Yes, not many people buys M9 because it has a good sensor or picture quality is superb. There are other cameras which cost much less and could do the job much better.

From what I see, more than half of those who bought M9 because they want to reward themselves for working so hard for the year. That's a good motivation and would get them to work harder in 2011.

As I often tell customers, the number of 50mm lenses that could be mounted on the M bodies is more than total number of Nikon & Canon lenses combined. If you want to "play" M mount is definitely the way to go. No other camera system is so versatile. The other I could think if is the EOS mount, but you need different adapters to adapt it.

Hope that will help to increase the sale of M9... As a matter of fact, I am clearing some of my analog gears to fund for it. Not because I need it for better pictures, just because someone told me I need to use it before I can give further comments about the camera. :bsmilie:

I used M9 on a photo trip one month after buying it. The exposure lock function did not work. It came back from Solms after about a month and now works nicely. In terms of memory cards, I never had problems with transend and sandisk in M8 or M9. Just for comparison, my M7 did not have any problems after all these years.

The trouble really is that Leica is a noob company when it comes to electronics, and they are making all the mistakes that say some Japanese company made some years ago. I think they have a lot to do to catch up.

The Germans were never that stellar with electronics anyway.

Haha, always enjoy reading this forum.
The Nazi almost seized the world with their Enigma coding. Of cos they are darn good with their mechanics!

(Is the moderator going to delete my post as irrelevant and not constructive?) ;-p