Problems encountered with your Leica!

Hi there,

The memory card issue was experienced by many of the early batches of M9s. My M9 died 3days after I got it from the AD, and I got them to replace it with another within a week. But I think that issue should be largely resolved by now. My "replacement" M9 has been ok for the last 11 months. I have not experienced the issue (touch wood) you mentioned on your 2nd camera.

I also have an MP which has worked very well since I bought it slightly more than a year ago.

I am assuming your M9s have both been fixed since?

My M9 got one of the latest serial no, so I think selectively this is still an issue for some bodies. Bought mine directly from Germany. Mine should be coming back soon so keeping my fingers crossed.

Without sounding like a rant, the customer service in solms is also lacking which adds to the unhappiness.

My M9 got one of the latest serial no, so I think selectively this is still an issue for some bodies. Bought mine directly from Germany. Mine should be coming back soon so keeping my fingers crossed.

Without sounding like a rant, the customer service in solms is also lacking which adds to the unhappiness.

Hmmm....so far so good with mine...(fingers crossed) my experience with customer service at solms has been exceptionally good. Perhaps it's the individual handling the case rather than the company as a whole.

Hmmm....so far so good with mine...(fingers crossed) my experience with customer service at solms has been exceptionally good. Perhaps it's the individual handling the case rather than the company as a whole.

Good for u bro. To quantify they did do it right for me after I've escalated. However my feedback to them is they need to be more proactive given that their clients paid premiums for their products, even going in with eyes open that their digital products still need to go through more QC to ensure less issues currently faced by many globally.

Last edited:

May I know whats wrong with your M9....Think we both bought from the same source:dunno:

May I know whats wrong with your M9....Think we both bought from the same source:dunno:

Haha... I actually wanted the black one at first... So Heng got the second one with sd card issue like astroboy. It went to solms within a week.

Only two of my cards can be read and the rest including a few new cards I bought got No sd card error. Leica told me one of the sd card pin got bent. I must be really lucky to bend it on my first try. Anyway, interesting my cards worked on other m9. And their cards worked on mine. Weird right?

Colour control in bright sunlight is the major problem I am having with my M9. :dunno:

Colour control in bright sunlight is the major problem I am having with my M9. :dunno:

The Auto WB of M9 sometime suck even with the latest firmware...always perform a manual WB...then color should be o.k...guess Leica M series stand for "Manual"...:bsmilie:

Jon...I hear you...

I sent my brand new M9 back to Solms after only 3 weeks of usage and had a shutter jam fault while using it in Hong Kong...I received the camera back in about 4 weeks time under warranty through Schmidt Marketing...they have my camera fixed and I have been using it regularly without any problem...:)

The Auto WB of M9 sometime suck even with the latest firmware...always perform a manual WB...then color should be o.k...guess Leica M series stand for "Manual"...:bsmilie:
thanks bros for the support!

ya, i think M series the Auto WB sucks big ... you do get some funny colour flares when you are at a wrong angle to the sunlight:dunno:

But when you get it right, the sensor is such a beauty! :heart:

Another big problem I am facing is dust. Usually I dont change lens but it seems like the M9 big sensor has the tendency to attract big dust:dunno:
Anyone here doing your own cleaning? Don't think I can afford to bring in for dust cleaning :sweat:

thanks bros for the support!

ya, i think M series the Auto WB sucks big ... you do get some funny colour flares when you are at a wrong angle to the sunlight:dunno:

But when you get it right, the sensor is such a beauty! :heart:

Another big problem I am facing is dust. Usually I dont change lens but it seems like the M9 big sensor has the tendency to attract big dust:dunno:
Anyone here doing your own cleaning? Don't think I can afford to bring in for dust cleaning :sweat:

I did wet swab cleaning on my M8 before and so far so good. Be very careful not to get the grease at the edge of the sensor. Once u stain the sensor, you can never fully clean it off.

I will get a smaller swab so that we have a bit more space to swipe the swap on the sensor. Do at your own risk though.

I do not have technical problems with my m9 after 6 months but i agree the auto WB sucks. M9 is so ex u wld think this should not be an issue.

My other problem is m9 attract alot of unwanted attention. I really need to get gaffer tape and tape up everything. Got one time this german tourist saw my m9 and approach me to insist i take picture of him ...

I do not have technical problems with my m9 after 6 months but i agree the auto WB sucks. M9 is so ex u wld think this should not be an issue.

My other problem is m9 attract alot of unwanted attention. I really need to get gaffer tape and tape up everything. Got one time this german tourist saw my m9 and approach me to insist i take picture of him ...

Why? Would anyone look better taken by an M9? :think:

:bsmilie:

On some M8s, may or may not be true for the M9, apparently the new shutter will spray micro droplets of its lubricant onto the sensor within the first couple of thousands shots. The problem seems to disappear on its own after the shutter is run-in. I tend to believe that this is true when I have so many "elephants" in my shots after only a few hundred actuations on my M8...cant be dust! Same with my Nikon body.

Cleaning it is easy but has to be a wet swab (dry cleaning will smudge the sensor if it's lubricant stains). Best to send it in if not confident.

On some M8s, may or may not be true for the M9, apparently the new shutter will spray micro droplets of its lubricant onto the sensor within the first couple of thousands shots. The problem seems to disappear on its own after the shutter is run-in. I tend to believe that this is true when I have so many "elephants" in my shots after only a few hundred actuations on my M8...cant be dust! Same with my Nikon body.

Cleaning it is easy but has to be a wet swab (dry cleaning will smudge the sensor if it's lubricant stains). Best to send it in if not confident.

YOu mean, Leica doesn't test the electronic shutters the same way Nikon and other companies do it? Running them for a few thousand times?

YOu mean, Leica doesn't test the electronic shutters the same way Nikon and other companies do it? Running them for a few thousand times?

I dont know about that.

I am normally quite careful and infrequent with lens changes, most of the time doing it in the aircon comfort of my home. Seldom in the streets. And I tend to stick to one particular lens for an extended period of time, usually weeks. The problem just became exponential and the whole sensor was spotted...could be dust but given my habits and the nature of the problem I tend to believe it's lubricant. Anyway, the gist of what I was trying to say is: use a wet swab if the sensor is spotted very early on. Dry cleaning it might cause smudging if the spots were indeed lubricants. Of course smudges can be removed by wet swabs, but why risk having the sensor cleaned a second time unnecessarily? The alternative is to send it in, then that risk is passed on.

Just collected my M9 from schdmit. No lens to test but two sd cards readable so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Just collected my M9 from schdmit. No lens to test but two sd cards readable so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

hopefully it will read the lens! :bsmilie: just kidding, congratulations!