Problems encountered with your Leica!

Ok got back my M9. All Sandisk SD Cards WORK but Kingston and Toshiba (it's a recommended card by Leica btw) got the same SD Card error. Well, at least all 5 of my Sandisk cards ok now. Quickly formatted them and did a manual WB setting. Here's my first pic on a revived M9. I've feedbacked to Leica on my findings.

5161285216_d8b6735158_z.jpg

Glad you got your set back ZoomP. Enjoy using it!

I finally managed to speak to Andrew and he said that they will have to send my set back to Germany:(. I told him that I will try and live with my issues until I get back from my trip to Japan and then send it in to them.

Just to clarify, the problem with my shutter, it is the actual button. It is is a little stiff to press down and at times does not pop back up after I depress it. At other times it comes back up but after a little while. This happened over night. Kept the camera in my dry cab and the next day when I wanted to use it I was surprised that the shutter button had become stiff, like there was some friction. Camera was not out i the rain or in any harsh condition. (Maybe all the haze we have been having recently.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:)

Glad you got your set back ZoomP. Enjoy using it!

I finally managed to speak to Andrew and he said that they will have to send my set back to Germany:(. I told him that I will try and live with my issues until I get back from my trip to Japan and then send it in to them.

Just to clarify, the problem with my shutter, it is the actual button. It is is a little stiff to press down and at times does not pop back up after I depress it. At other times it comes back up but after a little while. This happened over night. Kept the camera in my dry cab and the next day when I wanted to use it I was surprised that the shutter button had become stiff, like there was some friction. Camera was not out i the rain or in any harsh condition. (Maybe all the haze we have been having recently.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:)

Bro, as the saying goes... If it's not quirky, it's not a digital Leica. Unfortunately... Sighs.

My RF journey started a week ago when I received my first M6. During onsite test with a Lux 35, it showed it's metering (arrows). Now, with my own Cron 50, even when wound, it has intermitten metering at all dials. Most of the time when it works, it works at 1/4 shutter only.
I swopped batteries with fresh ones, tried all apertures n shutters, but it does not work.

Do I have a faulty metering system in my M6? Or am I just missing something?

My RF journey started a week ago when I received my first M6. During onsite test with a Lux 35, it showed it's metering (arrows). Now, with my own Cron 50, even when wound, it has intermitten metering at all dials. Most of the time when it works, it works at 1/4 shutter only.
I swopped batteries with fresh ones, tried all apertures n shutters, but it does not work.

sorry to hear that, sounds like your metering is faulty, it shouldnt act like that...feel bad for ya dude....:( (btw always set your speed dial to "off" whenever you can, the m6 drains batteries...another "quirk")

You can try chiff's technician, think meter replacement less than $200

Thanks much guys. I will contact Chiif & Schmidt tomorrow to have a better feel of my options. I also have a nagging feeling that my M6 has a misaligned RF when I focus at Infinity. I might have to do a full CLA, replace the meter (if it's indeed a meter issue). Hopefully it's not a bigger internal issue that's gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

Meanwhile, I am going to hunt down the seller as well as list his UserID and name here for all to beware of a dishonest seller on the loose.

Thanks much guys. I will contact Chiif & Schmidt tomorrow to have a better feel of my options. I also have a nagging feeling that my M6 has a misaligned RF when I focus at Infinity. I might have to do a full CLA, replace the meter (if it's indeed a meter issue). Hopefully it's not a bigger internal issue that's gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

Meanwhile, I am going to hunt down the seller as well as list his UserID and name here for all to beware of a dishonest seller on the loose.

Change the batteries and see what happens.

Hi Dankwan,
Yes I swopped the batteries with my Nikon F3 and it fires up. So the battery factor is taken out of the equation.

Since I got my M8 , it has been to Germany for 3 times.

Tomorrow after I send it in, it will be the fourth ;)

Dont know I unlucky or what, the shutter just jam by itself while I was shooting today .

I feel that our local agent must improve their services, instead of sending them back all the time. They should have skill technician to fix these cameras since there's a big pool of digital M users now in Singapore.

being an employee of a German's firm, i would think this is difficult to realize. :sweat:

any updates on this? not sure if this might be it, but i suspect it could be given i) it was working just yesterday (so to speak, with t he 35lux), and ii) it works fine at 1/4sec.

just hear me out. iirc, the older M6 had this "problem", in quotes because i wasn't really anything faulty as it was by design. okay, we know that the meter doesn't come on if,

a) you don't wind the advancing lever;
b) your speed dial is at B mode;
c) you don't half-press...

and when you do half-press, the LED in the viewfinder is suppose to come on with > o < just for a couple of seconds, indicating under / over / correct exposure (not nec in that sequence).

given the above, the older M6 will not have any LED exposure indicators if you are too far out of exposure range. so, if you were in a dim place, your meter might not "activate" although, it could still be working.

in a decently bright place (e.g office), set your shutter speed to 1/30, cron at f/2 and dial your iso upwards from 100 toward 6400. half-pressing at each iso stop (200, 400, 800, etc) to see if the LEDs come on - the LED lights should come up already at iso200-400 in most office lighting environments.

this came into mind, when i read that it worked at 1/4sec. which would have meant that your lighting might just have been too dim when you tested at with your cron.

if it still doesn't come on, as expected, then you might have a problem with your meter / trigger pin / circuit board... but try it out first.

Sorry guys, have not the chance to finish my current roll of Tri-X in the M6 for me to send it to the doctor. I target to send this in before the 24 Nov though.

Cactus jack, yes you are right about the ''too far from correct exposure'' for the meter to work. I read about that, and did make test such as shooting at ISO's 200,400,800, 1600, and at the same time varying the aperture based on a rough estimate of the lighting conditions. Even at 10am in the morning sunlit bedroom, I couldnt get a reading off the meter!

I have tried it wound, unwound, half pressing, all shutter speeds too, and to no avail. It used to work at 1/4, but now its completely dead. I must have strangled it with my Voigtlander strap or something :)

What I have not done though, is to clean out the contact points between the camera and lens. I also have not cleaned the contact point where the diode (metering) is. Hopefully I get to do this today.

I should add, in all fairness, having fired almost 2 rolls in the M6, that is a joy to work with. Its mobile, light, and 'brighter' than my F3 :)

The letdown here for me is its reliability. I cannot imagine flying thousands of miles (for a holiday), having it die on me when I need to record history (you never know :)). I mean, if the electronics can die, what about the mechanics like the shutter? I personally expect something that cost this much to at least to function reliably based on its engineering perfections that it claims to have.

My FM2 built almost at the same time frame (I think) as the M6 gives me the consistency that my copy of the M6 cannot offer. Unfortunately, I might just decide to forgo my M6 and Cron based on this criteria.

I also realised today that in analogy, a Porsche (Leica) while costly and beautiful, may not be as reliable as the uglier, and bulkier Honda (Nikon) F3HP. Although this Porsche cost much more, it does not need to offer you the peace of mind that the Honda gives.

Having said this, I dont drive. :)

Benji77,

sell your m6 with faulty meter to me. i will take good care of it for you. i use a sunny16 meter so i would not have any problems with built-in meters.

Don't need the lux.

;)

My cameras keep asking for new lenses. :dunno: