Please Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you mean by viewfinder LCD. Do note the different, Canon viewfinder or viewfinder of all DSLR are basically optical viewfinder, the viewfinder found on Olympus camera such as the EM5, EM10 and EM1 are all digital viewfinder... and there will be a slight lag (even my EM5 experience that) after taking the photo, optical viewfinder will not experience such lag, although to be true... I don't really find the lag that annoying.

Thanks rhino123!

For viewfinder LCD, I mean the digital viewfinder scope (thought its a mini LCD inside the viewfinder scope).
I was testing the digital viewfinder scope at AMK but didn't feel the lag. :lovegrin:

Er... wait... was it 7D or 7DmkII? If it is the mkII, it is a lovely lovely price. If it is the mk1... I find it a little expensive since the mk1 is kind of old now.

Think the EOS 7D is 4 years old but I think its cheaper than EOS 70D since the 19 black and red squares in the viewfinder scope are the same? :lovegrin:

Thanks SkyStrike! I forgot to say that the price include a kit lens. without lens would be $888. I will consider a 1st hand then if the price difference is not much.

I see the weight difference between EOS 70D and EOS 7D is about 200g? I was told for street shooting after hours of shooting, 200g difference will 'feel' like 2000g.

For size wise, the Olympus is better. more stealth for street shooting, wondering if the EM10 grip is nice to hold compared to EOS 70D for newbie like me. :lovegrin:

If that's the case, the price don't sound too bad. But still, take your time to evaluate. But for most scenarios, mirrorless like em10 really gets my vote.

The longer you carry something, the heavier it will be... every bit counts. Carrying a ~2kg load (minimum) everywhere you go is really troublesome. Not forgetting if you are going for a long shoot with tripods, filters, water, extra lens, etc. it's easily going to be a 6-8kg bag.

For the ergonomics of the different camera, Preference really differs from person to person.

For size wise, the Olympus is better. more stealth for street shooting, wondering if the EM10 grip is nice to hold compared to EOS 70D for newbie like me. :lovegrin:
That depends a lot on yourself.
Thanks rhino123!

For viewfinder LCD, I mean the digital viewfinder scope (thought its a mini LCD inside the viewfinder scope).
I was testing the digital viewfinder scope at AMK but didn't feel the lag. :lovegrin:
The lag usually only happens in low light situations.

Think the EOS 7D is 4 years old but I think its cheaper than EOS 70D since the 19 black and red squares in the viewfinder scope are the same? :lovegrin:

As for the lag that I mentioned earlier, it occurs and at any lighting condition... some people doesn't really notice the difference, but I am very sensitive to this type of thing... it might be the lens I am using. I am using the 12-50mm and 25mm f1.4. There is always a slight lag for my OMD EM5 in term of shot... unlike what I am experiencing in my 7D optical viewfinder. But like I say, I don't find that annoying.

If that's the case, the price don't sound too bad. But still, take your time to evaluate. But for most scenarios, mirrorless like em10 really gets my vote.

The longer you carry something, the heavier it will be... every bit counts. Carrying a ~2kg load (minimum) everywhere you go is really troublesome. Not forgetting if you are going for a long shoot with tripods, filters, water, extra lens, etc. it's easily going to be a 6-8kg bag.

For the ergonomics of the different camera, Preference really differs from person to person.

Actually I have the 7D, still using it and still loving it. However the camera technology is really kind of old and I do believe that 70D had a newer and better sensor, low light performance is better. If you can afford the 70D, get the 70D. As for the AF points, they should be about the same, as for liveview focusing, 70D wins hands down. All in all, 70D only lose slightly in the weather sealing department.

Now... if you are looking at 7DmkII, that is a totally different beast altogether.

Thanks SkyStrike! I shall consider the Olympus and Canon especially on the ergonomics part too. :lovegrin:

That depends a lot on yourself.

The lag usually only happens in low light situations.

I see, I didn't get the chance to test the EM10 in low light situations as the AMK shop is brightly lit :lovegrin:

yup, 2 major factors that prevented me from getting a DSLR are the size and weight. not long after i gotten my EM10, a friend pass me his Nikon D800 to help take some photos, after 10mins, i gave it back as my arms are feeling a bit tired and the weight/size makes it cumbersome to manouvre. after this, i am really glad to have the EM10, always quick on the draw! of cause the looks and price of the EM10 plays a big part in my decision making as well��

As for the lag that I mentioned earlier, it occurs and at any lighting condition... some people doesn't really notice the difference, but I am very sensitive to this type of thing... it might be the lens I am using. I am using the 12-50mm and 25mm f1.4. There is always a slight lag for my OMD EM5 in term of shot... unlike what I am experiencing in my 7D optical viewfinder. But like I say, I don't find that annoying.

Actually I have the 7D, still using it and still loving it. However the camera technology is really kind of old and I do believe that 70D had a newer and better sensor, low light performance is better. If you can afford the 70D, get the 70D. As for the AF points, they should be about the same, as for liveview focusing, 70D wins hands down. All in all, 70D only lose slightly in the weather sealing department.

Now... if you are looking at 7DmkII, that is a totally different beast altogether.

Thanks rhino123! looks like there is a little slight lag between Olympus digital viewfinder scope and the Canon optical viewfinder scope.
Is the EOS 70D better than the EOS 7D for night shooting?
I was told that the EOS 70D is a bit better for night shooting :lovegrin:

yup, 2 major factors that prevented me from getting a DSLR are the size and weight. not long after i gotten my EM10, a friend pass me his Nikon D800 to help take some photos, after 10mins, i gave it back as my arms are feeling a bit tired and the weight/size makes it cumbersome to manouvre. after this, i am really glad to have the EM10, always quick on the draw! of cause the looks and price of the EM10 plays a big part in my decision making as well��

actually the silver EM10 looks nice. I saw one orange EM10 on the web and it is stylo!
http-//kakaku.com/item/J0000013005/images/

the Canon is easier to grip but heavy and bulky. :lovegrin:

Is the EOS 70D better than the EOS 7D for night shooting?
I was told that the EOS 70D is a bit better for night shooting :lovegrin:

Depends on what are you shooting in the night. If you are shooting landscapes/cityscapes at night, there shouldn't be any difference, as you will likely be using a low ISO.

actually the silver EM10 looks nice. I saw one orange EM10 on the web and it is stylo!
http-//kakaku.com/item/J0000013005/images/

the Canon is easier to grip but heavy and bulky. :lovegrin:

i have the silver, very retro looking which i like a lot, reminds me of my good old minolta x700. the limited edition have orange, green and black which are only available on Olympus web store and cost around 200 more...

Depends on what are you shooting in the night. If you are shooting landscapes/cityscapes at night, there shouldn't be any difference, as you will likely be using a low ISO.

lets say street shooting done at night, with a bit of people doing some stuff? :lovegrin:

i have the silver, very retro looking which i like a lot, reminds me of my good old minolta x700. the limited edition have orange, green and black which are only available on Olympus web store and cost around 200 more...

wow. didn't know limited edition have green too :lovegrin:

lets say street shooting done at night, with a bit of people doing some stuff? :lovegrin:

U need to consider the lenses to be used and hence prices come into picture.

Shoot from far or quite close distance?

If from far u need fast long lens that is 70-200 equivalent of full frame. Then I cannot imagine u use big dslr lenses that is not only heavy but also attract attention.

If I am able to disuade my wife to use e-m10 with 35-100 f2.8 instead of her using D300 with 105vr micro on street, means it is a good setup.

Last edited:

Shouldn't have too much of a difference also. The Olympus E-M10 is slightly better than Canon 70D and 7D at low ISOs, but at high ISOs the 3 cameras perform around the same.

Untitled-1_zpsbc9949fb.png

In the top diagram you see the signal to noise ratio. 7D performs the worst here, followed by E-M10, then 70D. In the bottom diagram you see dynamic range, where the E-M10 has some advantage over the Canons in the low ISOs, but the performance at high ISOs is similar to the trend you see in dynamic range. Looking at the diagrams, the 7D has the worst sensor, which is expected since it's a significantly older camera than the 70D and the E-M10.

Take note that sensor performance is not everything in a camera. All 3 cameras are very capable, but my personal recommendation would be the E-M10. Even though the price your friend offered you for the 7D is not bad, I feel that most of the features the 7D has are catered towards sports photographers. Which means most of the advantages that the 7D has over the other cameras are of not much use to you. I've also mentioned before why I don't recommend the 70D line due to what Canon is doing with it.

At night/low light conditions

ISO: At high ISO (e.g. ISO 3200), I seriously doubt that the 2 models you are comparing have that big of the difference to justify if one is better than the other.

AF: If the subject you are focusing at has poor contrast (e.g. a black wall), I believe none of the auto focusing system in the world can get that focus right. Given enough contrast, I think both should perform similarly. *At most add a LED light to light up the focusing area lar... confirm the AF spot on for any system*

U need to consider the lenses to be used and hence prices come into picture.

Shoot from far or quite close distance?

If from far u need fast long lens that is 70-200 equivalent of full frame. Then I cannot imagine u use big dslr lenses that is not only heavy but also attract attention.

If I am able to disuade my wife to use e-m10 with 35-100 f2.8 instead of her using D300 with 105vr micro on street, means it is a good setup.

I see, even if near that would be a big lens of 35mm with a big Canon and also attract attention. :lovegrin:

Shouldn't have too much of a difference also. The Olympus E-M10 is slightly better than Canon 70D and 7D at low ISOs, but at high ISOs the 3 cameras perform around the same.

In the top diagram you see the signal to noise ratio. 7D performs the worst here, followed by E-M10, then 70D. In the bottom diagram you see dynamic range, where the E-M10 has some advantage over the Canons in the low ISOs, but the performance at high ISOs is similar to the trend you see in dynamic range. Looking at the diagrams, the 7D has the worst sensor, which is expected since it's a significantly older camera than the 70D and the E-M10.

Take note that sensor performance is not everything in a camera. All 3 cameras are very capable, but my personal recommendation would be the E-M10. Even though the price your friend offered you for the 7D is not bad, I feel that most of the features the 7D has are catered towards sports photographers. Which means most of the advantages that the 7D has over the other cameras are of not much use to you. I've also mentioned before why I don't recommend the 70D line due to what Canon is doing with it.

Thanks brapodam! I shall reconsider the E-M10, EOS 70D and the EOS 7D again.
I tried the E-M10 at the Olympus Showroom today at low light. Sometimes the focus may fail to lock on the green square properly. :lovegrin:

At night/low light conditions

ISO: At high ISO (e.g. ISO 3200), I seriously doubt that the 2 models you are comparing have that big of the difference to justify if one is better than the other.

AF: If the subject you are focusing at has poor contrast (e.g. a black wall), I believe none of the auto focusing system in the world can get that focus right. Given enough contrast, I think both should perform similarly. *At most add a LED light to light up the focusing area lar... confirm the AF spot on for any system*

I tried using my phone light switch on. It works! :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.