Please Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks SkyStrike! you mean there is the "shotgun street shooting" camp and the "sniper street shooting" camp? :lovegrin:

It's the up and close shooting vs the far far away shooting style. Where the up and close type prefers (but can don't also lar) to interact with the subject.. While the other is maybe (imagine) hide one corner and shoot.

Yes!! This is the one! the AMK shop I went said they sold out and offer this guy a "Yellow Bee" shape blower. :lovegrin:

Can go to those shops at Funan or Peninsular Plaza, also have..

sorry for the misinformation on the bolder part. I was told by my Canon friend that the Canon F4.0 shot taken has the "similar effect" of a Olympus F2.0 shot?
But I kinda understand half half only what he said. :lovegrin:

The effect he's talking about is probably the bokeh part. But I don't think should confuse yourself with too much info yet. But if it interest you, you can read up about "full frame vs crop depth of field" There's alot of articles that can explain this better than me. *But imho, really don't have to get yourself too concerned about the DOF thingy, m43, dx, ff, all can give you nice nice bokeh*

Thanks SilentSeth!

I thought the EM10 have two LCD. One on the back and one in the viewfinder scope. I read in the web that the LCDs can show the effects when the knobs are turned but not the Canon viewfinder scope when the knobs are turned. so I thought two LCDs is not hybrid but one LCD and one mirror is hybrid?? :lovegrin:

I thought both is the same, just that one is bigger (LCD creen), and the viewfinder one is smaller...

One of the best part of live view is that you can see what you are shooting (what you see is what you get). Other than simulating the effects of long exposure, I think the liveview is a pretty cool thing.

sorry for the misinformation on the bolder part. I was told by my Canon friend that the Canon F4.0 shot taken has the "similar effect" of a Olympus F2.0 shot?
But I kinda understand half half only what he said. :lovegrin:

I believe the "effect" your friend was talking about was the out of focus area.

Dun be too worried about this, I've used the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and I can tell you (in my opinion) that the out of focus effect (bokeh) is already very good. Sometimes, I even have to stop down to get more area in focus.

Thanks macVince! Actually when I was reading the web and talking to the sales girl in AMK just now. I realised there are so many things to consider in photography shooting. Things you mentioned like tripod, SD cards, dry cabinet, filter to protect lens, etc. I met a friend (Friend A) just now and she even give me a photography book (Understanding Exposing) to read through first before considering to start this expensive hobby. I shall consider and weigh the costs before spending the Xmas budget. Thanks for your advise! :lovegrin:

You're welcome. Clubsnap is holding talks in Funan Centre on Sats & Suns. And also at SAM@8Q. I attended a few which have subjects of interest to me. The presenters are all experienced photographers in their own right.

There's an Olympus talk this Sat at Funan, why not attend and have a feel what cameras could do and hear WongLP who has considerable experience using Olympus and M4/3 cameras? It might help you see somethings differently.

The Olympus 12-40mm "kit" lens you are talking about is the highly rated PRO zoom lens. It has a constant aperture of f2.8 and is weatherproof and dust proof if I remember correctly.

For the Canon body, the lens that cover the same focal length and constant aperture, you have the 24-70mm f2.8 L lens..

When you compare the Olympus (382g) and the Canon (805g), you will then realize how small and light the Olympus actually is.

Do take the camera weight and size into consideration before spending your hard earned cash on any purchases.

I have seen many friends who bought their DSLR but complained about its weight and choose to leave the camera at home most of the time.

Thanks KonTrol! Didn't know there is the beginner kit lens and PRO kit lens for Olympus.
In this case if one use the Canon with a 35mm or 50mm lens, battery charger, tripod, etc. That would be like 3000g?

For budget flight, that would leave one with 4kg for clothes and hand carry bag for travel shooting? :lovegrin:

It's the up and close shooting vs the far far away shooting style. Where the up and close type prefers (but can don't also lar) to interact with the subject.. While the other is maybe (imagine) hide one corner and shoot.

Can go to those shops at Funan or Peninsular Plaza, also have..

The effect he's talking about is probably the bokeh part. But I don't think should confuse yourself with too much info yet. But if it interest you, you can read up about "full frame vs crop depth of field" There's alot of articles that can explain this better than me. *But imho, really don't have to get yourself too concerned about the DOF thingy, m43, dx, ff, all can give you nice nice bokeh*

Thanks SkyStrike!! This shooting hobby is getting very chim :lovegrin:

I thought both is the same, just that one is bigger (LCD creen), and the viewfinder one is smaller...

One of the best part of live view is that you can see what you are shooting (what you see is what you get). Other than simulating the effects of long exposure, I think the liveview is a pretty cool thing.

yes SkyStrike! I agree with you!! the LCD effect is powerful! Easier to use than the viewfinder scope for (newbie like) me. :lovegrin:

I believe the "effect" your friend was talking about was the out of focus area.

Dun be too worried about this, I've used the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and I can tell you (in my opinion) that the out of focus effect (bokeh) is already very good. Sometimes, I even have to stop down to get more area in focus.

Yes KonTrol! The Olympus 45mm F1.8 shot would be similar to Canon 90mm F3.6 shot? :lovegrin:

You're welcome. Clubsnap is holding talks in Funan Centre on Sats & Suns. And also at SAM@8Q. I attended a few which have subjects of interest to me. The presenters are all experienced photographers in their own right.

There's an Olympus talk this Sat at Funan, why not attend and have a feel what cameras could do and hear WongLP who has considerable experience using Olympus and M4/3 cameras? It might help you see somethings differently.

thanks macVince. I shall go and hear Master WongLP and check out Olympus.
where is SAM@8Q? :lovegrin:

thanks macVince. I shall go and hear Master WongLP and check out Olympus. where is SAM@8Q? :lovegrin:

Singapore Arts Museum at 8, Queen Street.

(You must register for the talk in "Clubsnap @ Funan" under "News, Outings & Events.")

Last edited:
Because of weight and size, I only use Olympus micro4/3 for casual outdoor use and Nikon DSLR for serious work or paid job.

As a beginner, u also won't know how deep u will go. But I think smaller and lighter gears will keep u going and going far.

I have the em10. It is very competent, but of coz lacking in some department to the DSLR. Though that should not put you off as most of your needs will be met by this little gem. The current $998 is a very good promotion for em10, with pancake kit lens, 1 fast prime lens and a spare battery + a $50 voucher. If u need more battery, just buy 3rd party at later stage. If you need more lenses, just buy 2nd hand from Clubsnap. But u can try using the 2x e-teleconverter that's built into Olympus. Pls research about it; I won't waste time explaining. The 50 bucks voucher u can go to any capitaland mall buy dry cabinet.

Once your skills surpass the camera, then u decide whether to migrate to DSLR or stay with micro4/3. If u are not turning professional, like being paid for shooting events or wedding, u should be safe with micro4/3. Even if u turn pro, the micro4/3 can be a spare system for casual use or even work alongside your DSLR for paid work. For me, I use it for causal, and sometimes I use it together with dslr for events and weddings.

Hence in overall, I think em10 package suits u more, considering u are also used to shooting through LCD panel, but u can easily switch to viewfinder on em10.

Last edited:
Yes KonTrol! The Olympus 45mm F1.8 shot would be similar to Canon 90mm F3.6 shot? :lovegrin:

If you are talking about full frame, then the FOV is indeed 90mm. However, if you are looking at the 70D like you mentioned, you have to multiple the focal length by x1.6.

As for aperture (f stop), the opening of the lens f1.8 in this case is the same no matter which format you mount it on.. And I believe this was already brought up by one of the experts here earlier on.

So to say, a f1.8 lens on a Canon FF DSLR have the same opening in the lens diaphragm as a f1.8 lens on an iPhone. The difference would be in DoF due to the sensor size...

Hope I'm not confusing you here...

For the field of view, yes. But the dof will be different.

For aperture, they go by f stop, so it's not really taking the number times crop factor.

I personally really feel that you don't have to get too concerned about the field of view when first buying a system...

Back When I was using a compact camera, I didn't even care what focal length :p

You will take time to understand it after using it. (Then eventually kenna poison deep deep) :p

There are a few "kit lenses" available, but I recommend starting with the 14-42 EZ, not the 12-40 f2.8 (significantly more expensive and heavier). If you want to compare sizes of cameras, I recommend using this site: http://camerasize.com/compact/#ha,t (It also tells you the weight of the setup when you hover your cursor over the camera)

You can see here the E-M10 with 14-42 EZ is significantly smaller than a 70D plus the smallest kit lens available for it, the 18-55 IS STM:
Untitled_zps90b3023b.png

Because of weight and size, I only use Olympus micro4/3 for casual outdoor use and Nikon DSLR for serious work or paid job.

As a beginner, u also won't know how deep u will go. But I think smaller and lighter gears will keep u going and going far.

I have the em10. It is very competent, but of coz lacking in some department to the DSLR. Though that should not put you off as most of your needs will be met by this little gem. The current $998 is a very good promotion for em10, with pancake kit lens, 1 fast prime lens and a spare battery + a $50 voucher. If u need more battery, just buy 3rd party at later stage. If you need more lenses, just buy 2nd hand from Clubsnap. But u can try using the 2x e-teleconverter that's built into Olympus. Pls research about it; I won't waste time explaining. The 50 bucks voucher u can go to any capitaland mall buy dry cabinet.

Once your skills surpass the camera, then u decide whether to migrate to DSLR or stay with micro4/3. If u are not turning professional, like being paid for shooting events or wedding, u should be safe with micro4/3. Even if u turn pro, the micro4/3 can be a spare system for casual use or even work alongside your DSLR for paid work. For me, I use it for causal, and sometimes I use it together with dslr for events and weddings.

Hence in overall, I think em10 package suits u more, considering u are also used to shooting through LCD panel, but u can easily switch to viewfinder on em10.

the promotion with free 45mm for EM10 is only during last weekend's SITEX and is over. however, the cash back promotion is still available and with kit lens 14-42mm is around 900.

with the M43 system, one can upgrade to a better body, like the highly regarded EM1, which many pros have switched to from DSLR, without the need to change the DSLR system which would be very costly, both in terms of money spent on existing system and spending on a more costly system.

with the continual advancement of M43 system, they will only get better. but most importantly, enjoy photography and take good photos before even to start thinking about turning pro.

Yes and no.

For the same distance between you and subject, then yes, its equivalent to a 90mm FOV.
For light gathering, no, its f1.8
For DOF, for the same field of view, then yes, DOF is equivalent to f3.6

Whether this is important to you or not, depends on the genre and style you shoot.
As a rough an example, to get a full body shot with the 45/1.8 on m4/3, you need to stand 12m away. (can be a tad tougher with ppl milling about in betwwen you and subject)
You'd also get the equivalent f3.6 DOF in terms of subject isolation.
On a FF camera with 45/2.8 lens, you'd only stand 6m for that same full body shot with a f2.8 DOF
Some folks don't shoot that much for isolation, in which case, all this does not matter.

In my case, I have used m4/3, aps-c, FF (and compacts).
I never lament at what I have and what I am using.
I just frame with the focal length I have at hand for what it can give.
But then, its really an individual thing/preference.

Last edited:
Singapore Arts Museum at 8, Queen Street.

(You must register for the talk in "Clubsnap @ Funan" under "News, Outings & Events.")

Thanks macVince! :lovegrin:

Just putting in a word for Pentax K3.
Good value for money, great features and some of the best small primes around (not to mention the camera ).
100% viewfinder, pentaprism, built in SR, etc.

thanks pinholecam! I realize that the Canon viewfinder is about 95%?! :lovegrin:

thanks pinholecam! I realize that the Canon viewfinder is about 95%?! :lovegrin:

Not all is 95%... some higher end ones have 100% (not sure why Canon made it a novelty thingy)

Status
Not open for further replies.