Pentax K-x help thread

You mean AP got sell Sanyo Eneloope too? Which AP? Sim Lim or Funan one? I might go down to get it this week.

I got it from the SLS AP.
Came across 5th or 6th storey sls shops selling at $19.90/$19.50

how the does AF-AE-L button works ? i read the manual but don really get it
hope someone will shed some light on this.

how the does AF-AE-L button works ? i read the manual but don really get it
hope someone will shed some light on this.

Hmm, I using the k7, but I think the AEL and AF buttons should be the same for pentax system. Below is a link on AEL, hope it helps.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...203-when-use-automatic-exposure-l-button.html

AF button works like when u semi press ur shutter, it will auto focus. Think you need to enable it in your setting to use I think. So instead of semi press shutter to focus, you press af button, then ready to shoot, press press ur shutter button to take.

Hope my explanations is correct as I am still learning. Hope that the more pros user can give a better insight of it.

When you half press the shutter, the camera will lock focus and start to meter, but will not stop metering if you shift the frame around, so metering is done based on the frame when the shutter is released. If you wish to meter somewhere else, you will frame it first, then press the AE-L button. This will meter once then lock the exposire. After this, you reframe, focus, reframe, and release shutter, and the scene will be exposed for when you pressed the AE-L button.

Just realised that the remote that was sent to me was different from the one on the website. Anyone having this remote or similar?

Seller screwed up, better get into contact with him ask him to send the correct one.

Hi Pentax KX owners.

Just got my Pentax KX. My Nikon SB400 flash won't work with Pentax KX. Can recommend a good flash for Pentax KX? I also got a Phottix Pt-04 trigger. The flash must work with this trigger. Thanks alot!

Hi Pentax KX owners.

Just got my Pentax KX. My Nikon SB400 flash won't work with Pentax KX. Can recommend a good flash for Pentax KX? I also got a Phottix Pt-04 trigger. The flash must work with this trigger. Thanks alot!

If the SB400 won't work directly with the Kx, just use the PT-04 on them.
Remember that the max flash sync speed for this combo is 1/180

Is there a manual mode that the SB400 flash can be set to? If your flash works with the PT04, the PT04 should work with the K-x. Nikon and Pentax use 2 different TTL systems, so they won't be compatible with each other, but in manual mode the flash can be triggered simply from the center pin no matter what system.

http://pttl.mattdm.org/ is a good place to start to look at the p-ttl flash options available to you.
Typically most of us go for the Pentax AF360/AF540, or Sigma 530 DG, or Metz 48/58 which can be found in shops. Others like the Tumax and all the variations can be ordered from overseas.

Funny how SB400 won't work.

My 430EX II works on the k-x, it says ETTL when mouted on the hotshoe, but I suspect its fully manual, because the focal length on the flash LCD display won't change even zooming in. It stays at 28mm when using 18-55mm kit lens.

I have not tried other things like changing flash power on the camera yet.

If the SB400 won't work directly with the Kx, just use the PT-04 on them.
Remember that the max flash sync speed for this combo is 1/180

Thanks to everyone. sb 400 does not work with my PT-04 also, so no choice got to sell. Will explore the flash suggested and see how things work out. Cheers!

Yep looks like the SB400 cannot be used in manual mode.

random tip of the day : don't use the in camera raw to jpg program. it will screw your your photo count, for those that are particular about it or use it to keep count how many photos u have shot ...... i just screw up mine .... +70

got the K-x a few weeks ago, upgrading from a *istDs
I know, I know, maybe it is just a matter of getting to used to, but do I want to?
- I simply do not like how photos, above all taken daytime, of the K-x look, compared to the images of the *ist they seem to have a 'darkish' cast', makes them look 'liveless'.

has anybody noticed the same?
and if so, found any solution?

btw. I have been shooting in RAW oánd converting in Lightroom 1.3 ( just now upgraded to ver. 2.3, but that doesn't seem to make much difference )

Can post some pictures to illustrate what you mean?

hm. this will be difficult with just one or two images, but here you go, K-x:

7293903.80d25c1f.jpg

7293901.722b21fe.jpg

and yesterday I had a real strange one, here the original ( converted with default settings in LR )

7294920.31548887.jpg

here is the best I could come up with to correct it ( well, I am no PPing pro ;-) ):

7293897.78985c8b.jpg

though the tulips should have the colors like these seen in the background:

7293898.437269d8.jpg

this tulip color is another issue again I guess, but even on this last one with otherwise good colors I also do notice a 'darkish' impression

Last edited:
kuuan, check your colour space. Are you shooting in sRGB or Adobe RGB?
Check your default Lightroom settings. In the Develop panel, look at the Camera Calibration pane and note which profile you're using.
Check if your monitor is calibrated when you're doing post processing.
If you think it's a camera issue, check the settings you're using and perhaps reset the camera to default and proceed from there.

Looks like some conservative metering. Trying adding some fill lights and maybe extra exposure. Probably want to add saturation and/or vibrance, and some contrast.

I've noticed that if you convert RAW without any post processing you will generally get dull results, so you'll probably want to get a good feel of what works best for you and keep a setting. Otherwise, stick with JPEG only.. the camera default JPEG processing is actually quite a lot better than RAW converted without processing.

Hi all , I got this problem that mKX doesn't detect my SD card when I on my camera .

It will show memory card error . When I off it and re-on it , the error will gone .

Anyone encounter this problem ? was it a norm ? using 8G kindston SDHC class4

pls help :)