Pentax K-x help thread

Problem with that is that you have to take your eyes off the VF, also hard to do with one hand.
Was much easier on my K10D. Thumb press OK button, index finger operate front dial, can do while looking through VF.

I seldom use the Live View mode but how do I use phase detection AF in Live View? I saw 3 options, the 1st option I think is the Face-Detection mode which is set by default? Is the 2nd or 3rd one phase detection?

Change your settings for the camera to use phase detection AF in Live View. The LCD screen will go blank for a short while as the mirror flips up for the camera to auto focus, but its much faster than contrast detect AF

Hmm..can turn off one? I thought the blue light cannot be turned off one.. Anyway I find it pretty cool-looking.:)

Initially yes! haha.. but after a while especially at night, it gets too bright for my liking. And it drains battery too, although it may not be that much.

shall go hunt for the option in the menu..:bsmilie:

I seldom use the Live View mode but how do I use phase detection AF in Live View? I saw 3 options, the 1st option I think is the Face-Detection mode which is set by default? Is the 2nd or 3rd one phase detection?

Page 144-145 of the manual.
The 3rd option. The icon shows the 11 points of the AF system because phase difference AF uses the AF sensor.

The 2nd option is an icon of a circle, half white half black. That is contrast AF. AF using the image sensor itself.

Thanks for the info bro!:)

Page 144-145 of the manual.
The 3rd option. The icon shows the 11 points of the AF system because phase difference AF uses the AF sensor.

The 2nd option is an icon of a circle, half white half black. That is contrast AF. AF using the image sensor itself.

After playing around for the past few days with my new k-x, here is what I noticed.
When using A,P or T modes,the picture is always underexposed...however, very often it looks ok on the lcd.
Only upon viewing it on the computer monitor do I realise how dark it is.
Anyone experienced the same problem?

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

After playing around for the past few days with my new k-x, here is what I noticed.
When using A,P or T modes,the picture is always underexposed...however, very often it looks ok on the lcd.
Only upon viewing it on the computer monitor do I realise how dark it is.
Anyone experienced the same problem?

Camera screen is not reliable, usually too bright. learn how to read the histogram and it will tell you how the photo is exposed. This should let you have a better idea of whether the photo is well-exposed. Also, have to learn how the camera meters a scene, and use EV compensation if required.

I tried both RAW n JPG same underexpose problem even in bright sunlight...
could it be due to the metering setting?mine is on the default setting.

Yes checking the histogram after every shot can be done and adjustments made after that but wouldnt that be too troublesome?may end up missing some good shots at times.

I feel in bright conditions the camera should have no problem taking well exposed pictures, there shouldnt be a need to change EV settings.

Problem could be with your monitor. Post some pics?
I don't think you understand the AE process correctly. The lighting condition doesn't cause the picture to be over or under-exposed. It is the metering process that affects it. The camera meters the brightness of the scene and then adjust the Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO accordingly to get the correct exposure. Most of the time, I'd say that under/over-exposing is caused by metering on the wrong part of the scene with the wrong metering mode.

The metering algorithm (for matrix metering) will usually expose for the highlights, to prevent bright objects or areas from being blown out. So sometimes what is generally considered to be a bright scene turns out dark in the pic 'cos the dynamic range is too great and the camera tries to preserve the highlights. This usually the case if you have the sun in the pic, or on a cloudy day and you include too much of the bright clouds.

As for why the LCD looks brighter.... this is sometimes overlooked, but what's the LCD brightness setting?

Hey guys, I want to buy extra 4 pieces of AA Sanyo eneloop batteries for my KX but I am not too sure what is a good/reasonable price for this battery. I saw the 4 pieces pack selling for $25.90 at Causeway Point. Is that cheap or expensive? Is there other places where u can buy them at a cheaper price?

Hey guys, I want to buy extra 4 pieces of AA Sanyo eneloop batteries for my KX but I am not too sure what is a good/reasonable price for this battery. I saw the 4 pieces pack selling for $25.90 at Causeway Point. Is that cheap or expensive? Is there other places where u can buy them at a cheaper price?

Very expensive

Can try here. 4 for $20. Cheapest I have seen already. They sell the very good maha charger too.

http://www.eastgear.com/batteries-chargers/sanyo.html

4xAA Sanyo Eneloops has been available at many places from $20 to $22 for the past several months from what I can remember. Also, the 2-Hr Sanyo Quick Charger comes with 4xAA Sanyo Eneloops included and you can expect to pay anywhere from $35 to $41 for the charger set which is also available at many places.

I second the advice given above. If you can take the time out, visit East Gear and purchase their C-401 Slow-cum-Rapid Maha Charger (I hope I am remembering the model name correctly!) They sell the charger both as standalone and with a promotional offer of 4xAA Maha Imedion NiMH batteries which are just as good as the Sanyo Eneloops.

But, I would still recommend Sanyo Eneloop batteries for the K-x and the Maha Charger above for charging them... this will give you impressive results for sure... I can confirm this because this has worked for me personally! The fully charged Sanyo Eneloop batteries gave me hundreds of test shots... some with flash too. I never even bothered to use the quick charger and gifted it to my niece!

Last edited:
I tried both RAW n JPG same underexpose problem even in bright sunlight...
could it be due to the metering setting?mine is on the default setting.

Yes checking the histogram after every shot can be done and adjustments made after that but wouldnt that be too troublesome?may end up missing some good shots at times.

I feel in bright conditions the camera should have no problem taking well exposed pictures, there shouldnt be a need to change EV settings.

there is also another thing about manufacturer ISO and measured ISO read-out discrepancy (inherent to sensor), but more importantly it's usually the metering trying to preserve the bright portions of your scene.. this drabby/gray/muted/dim kind of look is also more obvious when you are on matrix metering.

Last edited:
What screen protectors do you guys used for your k-x? Hard cover or clear sticker kind?

Anybody know where can get a good one?

What screen protectors do you guys used for your k-x? Hard cover or clear sticker kind?

Anybody know where can get a good one?

I just got a normal one from Manly for $3.

im also using just the clear sticker to preserve the lcd brightness, etc.. the thinner the better