Nikon Portraiture Shootout 2005 - THANK YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
This is a thread dedicated to the outing today - 19th Mar 2005 as it brought a new meaning to outings, a mass one. :)

I'd like to show my appreciation by thanking the following people who helped make this outing a success.

Nikon Singapore: A big thank you to them who sponsored the loan of equipments (Nikon D2X, D2H, D70 x 2, 85 f/1.4, 70-200VR, 17-55DX and 50 f/1.8 x 2). They also sponsored the lunch today (from Angeli, same caterer as D2X launch's) and the D70 SBS bus that we all were happily travelling from one place to another. A big thank you goes to Jimmy whom I've troubled, disturbed and irritated over the past one month to get this outing going. Also the sponsorship of the prizes are not going to go unmentioned.

• Pelican look-alike hardcase x 2 (top 2 prizes)
  • Nikon 30L Dry Cabinet (3rd prize)
  • Nikon Annuals 2003/2004 (4-5th prize)
  • Nikon Shooting Vest (6-10th prize)

My Volunteers:

• Peng Eik (chngpe01) (Mod of WoN): Without him, we'd have been camping out in the sun and sitting on the floor, his big heart and warmth touched everybody. He queued up all the way in the morning at 0730 to book the MPH at his home one month before the shoot out so that we could use it for debrief & rest. (Not to mention cheaper than outside too).

• Darren (Admin of CS): For his support by loan of his projector (which I dropped a few times, just kidding, hehehe) FOC and was rushing to get it to me as he just touched down only on thursday. Without Darren, all of us would be crowding around 3 laptops and listening. Thank you very much Darren.

• Watcher: For his kind volunteer to teach colour profiling and captured it so nicely and fully that I'm utterly speechless, no doubt what he has covered is very basic, I appreciate his ernestness in bridging the subject with grace and ease of understanding.

• James (Clown): For his time in demonstration of what Photoshop can do, how to touch up the images to their best and not to be afraid of post processing, his apperance has given me hope that once again, knowledge sharing is possible and everybody can do it no matter how senior/junor/professional one is.

My helpers:

• Sykes (sykestang) - My 2IC, who did up the name tags, printed them and designed them, he also helped to arrange for the models. He also helped in many areas of my inexperience to make sure that everything ran smoothly, had a few scuffs here and there, but was grateful for his senior advice. Also his friend Chong, who's not a member of CS but took time to ferry the models and MUA to the shooting location, thanks Chong!! Sorry you can't join us for the afternoon.

• Chris (Scanner) - who helped in the explanation of RAW conversion and how to utilise Nikon Capture fully to it's maximum power (frankly I didn't expect him to go so indepth). He was supposed to be on a business trip this weekend but he pulled it forward 2 weeks so that he would not miss this. Despite the hiccups on the PowerBook and my lousy laptop, I hope he did a good job. He also rushed down from work to pick up the projector from Darren, (east -> north). He also was one of the helpers to help arrange the chairs for the debrief.

• KNIGHT ONG: For travelling down to recce the place, check and ensure that the route was well planned and convenient for all shooters & the models. His knowledge in the professional bodies and model taking also well showed when he guided the participants.

• Samuel (nightwolf75): For offering to drive down to the shooting ground with Knight on a saturday and covering the entire grounds for ideal shooting location and using a HP CAMERA to capture the grounds and put it into a powerpoint presentation for the group to view and understand. He also planned everything so well I was so amazed to know that he actually planned for this I've never thought about. Never underestimate the power of a Canon User (*cough cough*). Have to thank him for being our 'chauffuer' for a few times, ferrying stuff to/fro (like prizes) and helping me setup the holding area.

• Jordan (AJ23): For helping Sykes in organising the models & MUA arrival and co-ordinating with me for the registration of the group that met me first. His generous knowledge also led him to be one of the judges for the prizes to be given out (images to come soon).

• Kirby (acidbyte): He was supposed to be a participant, but offered kindly to cover the event using his personal D70 and flash (with flash bracket, heehee) and helped to support Knight's group when Samuel had to leave with Chris to prepare the holding area.

• Maureen (furball): Also a participant in the reserve list, gave up a chance to win the top 2 prizes because I disqualified her from doing so as a helper. She also helped my team to hold the reflector and ensure everybody had a chance to play with the equipment available. Have to thank this little girl very much because of her help, everything went smoothly. (Now I have to buy her a gift to make up to her for losing two prizes. Hehehe) Also as my personal runner, fetched me drinks and helped me to make drinks purchases also.

To any one I left out, please accept my apologies and know that I seriously do thank you for your kind support and help. :thumbsup:

Last but not least, I'd like to thank all the participants, it's YOU who made this outing a big success. It's YOU who made me feel that the community is not dead and always alive with fun and laughter.

I have to apologize to all for the hiccups, like starting late, and also the food I think I didn't manage to get enough drinks, everybody was buying their own, a lot of apologies and I hope that you folks learned some new stuff today, and also departed happily knowing more things that you think you ever knew.

Apologies once again.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT, THANK YOU!!!
:thumbsup:

Just for record's sake, I was already discussing with Jimmy what kind of outing we should organise next, and yes, I was slapping myself silly right after I asked him that. :bsmilie:

Our group shot (many thanks to acidbyte):

groupshot.jpg

darn.... Miss this one again.....
was too tired after flight.......
can't even open my eyes...
got to slam right to bed.......
Congragulation for the successful event!! :)

Ahem ... *cough cough ... *** there is no Canon user here hor .. :devil:

All are from the dark side .. :bsmilie:

I really looking forward to more future outings..heehee.... doubt i will ever consider going over to canon again :bsmilie:

espn said:
Just for record's sake, I was already discussing with Jimmy what kind of outing we should organise next, and yes, I was slapping myself silly right after I asked him that.

yes! pls do! the next time u organising, i'm going to be a participant!! darn... i like the pelican case! shld have just run off to malaysia with the prizes... :complain:

thanks to one and all who participated, laugh at and with each other, and shared their knowledge (and not to mentioned a CERTAIN 180mm lens...)! :cheergal:

nightwolf75 said:
yes! pls do! the next time u organising, i'm going to be a participant!! darn... i like the pelican case! shld have just run off to malaysia with the prizes... :complain:

thanks to one and all who participated, laugh at and with each other, and shared their knowledge (and not to mentioned a CERTAIN 180mm lens...)! :cheergal:
Got 1 pelican case ... u interested ??? :sticktong

And not forgetting to thank espn for organise such a wonderful trip for us. It really a good learning and sharing lesson for us especially to some of us which are still newbie. And also thank to all the volunteers and helpers patiently sharing us their knowledge :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks to the models also ;p

Thanks to all for an informative and enjoyable time (well, most of it anyway :p )... but NOT to espn who has spread his D2x BBB virus..... must......resist...............

Gymrat76 said:
Thanks to all for an informative and enjoyable time (well, most of it anyway :p )... but NOT to espn who has spread his D2x BBB virus..... must......resist...............

tell ur dear wife not to get the 85mm and go straight for the D2x!!! :devil:

man o man... i'm gonna be killed by her for this... :sweat:

What makes you think I'm going to get the 85 f/1.4 in the first place? :sweat: I'll be lucky not to get my butt kicked if she sees this thread :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

So when is the next outing... hehe... :p
Had great fun today... trying out all those SUPERB lens... and knowing so many new friends... CHEERS all everyone!!

Thanks to espn and the team - this is my first outing with the clubsnap members, and I have really enjoyed myself - it's an enriching experience for a newbie like me, being new to both SLR photography and portraiture shooting.

have made some new friends, learned much new stuff about photography and portraiture shooting. The team was very helpful and unselfish in sharing their knowledge and gave us lots of tips.

Thanks.. and give urself a pat on the shoulder.. espn and team ! :thumbsup: :cheers:

kristlbel said:
thanks for organizing this event. no doubt a lot of effort went into it!
also thanks for all the valuable advice given. really informative :)

congrats to u, kristlbel, for winning a prize for the shootout!

hmm... u sure u newbie or not?? :bsmilie:

Thanks to all for making the event happen - was a fun outing. Thanks Dennis for the kind use of your lenses - making me want to get an 85 1.4 and Nikon Soft 1 filter now... hehe. :bsmilie:

gooseberry said:
Thanks to all for making the event happen - was a fun outing. Thanks Dennis for the kind use of your lenses - making me want to get an 85 1.4 and Nikon Soft 1 filter now... hehe. :bsmilie:

Haha, u also got the Win32.Dennis.Buy.Buy.Buy virus. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Hehehe, help espn to spread the virus only, I believe he also caught the same virus himself liow.

gooseberry said:

kristlbel said:
thks...

old newbie :bsmilie:

lazy to go shoot, so rarely get chance to practice on eqpt usage.

hey, kristlbel,

nice to have met you, and thanks for being there ( or i'd be the only lady.. excluding furball ;p )

Congrats once again, for winning the top prize! :thumbsup: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.