Nikon D70 failed and continuous blinking of CF light

Does your D70 failed and CF light keeps on blinking, MENU wont display, etc...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
kex said:
how to check the number of shots taken ?
What I did is:
1. take a picture in jpg.
2. view the exif using opanda iExif. There is a "total number of shutter release" column.

download opanda iExif 1.8 free at:
www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

I can't add to the poll since it's closed but my D70 failed in Austria this week so maybe there is some truth in the hot/cold syndrome. Fortunately or unfortunately, the warranty expires next week.

now i got this phobia of dunno when the D70 will die on me again..damn f*** up feeling leh..

The results from the poll appears that the problem is mainly isolated to early batches...

Only time can tell... ..... :sweat:

actually is it time or usage?

does the two scenario of time below the same?

1) usage of 200 photos for the last 12 months
2) usage of 20,000 photos for the last 6 months

Paul_Yeo said:
actually is it time or usage?

does the two scenario of time below the same?

1) usage of 200 photos for the last 12 months
2) usage of 20,000 photos for the last 6 months

I believe Nikon definetely know the root cause: usage? time? climate? or certain batch only?

Was there anybody who sent his/her D70 for repair told by Nikon exactly what happened?? And what is the chance it will happen again after fix??

I found an interesting post in DPReview's forum

jdl said:
Mine is in Melville now for the meter problem. Here's the deal, straight from the horse's mouth:

I spoke to a Nikon tech, "off the record" (so don't tell him that I told you this...) and he told me that there was a specific problem with some of the early production cameras. There is a flexible circuit board (FCB) that controls the light meter - this FCB is connected to the main board via a plug-type connector, and that connector can work its way loose over time. When the connector comes off, all sorts of weird things can happen because the pins short against other components, eventually resulting in "dead camera syndrome". They discovered and fixed the problem in September, so cameras manufactured after that have the connector soldered in place to prevent the problem from happening. Some older ones might still be out there on store shelves, however.

The important thing to remember is that NOT ALL EARLY CAMERAS WILL HAVE THE PROBLEM, so don't panic. In most cases the connector fits tightly, like it should, so it won't come loose under normal use. The problem is that in some cases, the connector fits loosely - those are the ones that will eventually have the problem. There is no specific serial number range that I know of, but any camera manufactured prior to September 2004 can POTENTIALLY have this problem at some point.

Nikon is a good company, and they take care of their customers. When there is a known issue like this, they will fix it free, even if it is out of warranty. I know this because they have done that for me in the past. So if you have an early camera, DON'T PANIC. Chances are you will never see this problem. But even if you do, they will fix it for you, and they will make it right.

That's the story.

interesting read.

So err, is there anyway to check the manufacturing date of your D70?? like serial number > than x or something?

mine facing the same problem .. bot feb 27 2004. Now to find 1/2 day off from work to take to Nikon for servicing.

no problem wif mine... bought durin sitex 04.

:)

wind30 said:
interesting read.

So err, is there anyway to check the manufacturing date of your D70?? like serial number > than x or something?

I guess it is random. Some of the sets are pretty new.

mine just died too. exact same problem. monochrome lcd is gone, cf light blinks. color lcd comes on when buttons like playback or menu are pressed, but goes off after about 1 sec....used nikon batt that came with it onli. bought 4 april 04...warranty just over :( :(

will nikon fix this FOC out of warranty?

BurgaFlippinMan said:
mine just died too. exact same problem. monochrome lcd is gone, cf light blinks. color lcd comes on when buttons like playback or menu are pressed, but goes off after about 1 sec....used nikon batt that came with it onli. bought 4 april 04...warranty just over :( :(

how many photos have u taken before this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.