Nikon D70 failed and continuous blinking of CF light

Does your D70 failed and CF light keeps on blinking, MENU wont display, etc...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ansel said:
:cry: :cry:

It just happened to me!!!

Bought 27 Feb 2004. By Monday warranty over liao! How??

Can find receipt but can't find warranty card somemore!! How??

you can try the receipt, but Nikon is close during weekends :sweat:

Ansel said:

Ansel, sorry to hear about that. Did you manage to find the warranty card ? Wow, is that timing or what ? Hope Nikon fixes it for you under warranty - hope they don't come up with some c**p about warranty expiring on 26th - if that's the case they should be open on weekends. Are you on NPS ?

Ansel said:

Ansel, let me know if you face any problems trying to get it fixed, I'll see what I can do, but am very sure they'll handle it well, AFAIK as long as it's not tooooo far off the warranty range like 1-2 years, they should fix it with no issues.

gooseberry said:
Ansel, sorry to hear about that. Did you manage to find the warranty card ? Wow, is that timing or what ? Hope Nikon fixes it for you under warranty - hope they don't come up with some c**p about warranty expiring on 26th - if that's the case they should be open on weekends. Are you on NPS ?

I am quite confident they will take my receipt and fix the problem for me since, like Pinoy and yourself said, they should open on weekends if they are that particular of about one or two days after expiry of warranty.

Anyway, if this is a common problem with the first batch of D70, they should have done a recall. But since this is not a life-threatening problem, like say in a car, a recall may not be necessary, but they should be obligated to fix this problem in all cameras belonging to that batch whether or not they are still under warranty at the point of failure.

espn said:
Ansel, let me know if you face any problems trying to get it fixed, I'll see what I can do, but am very sure they'll handle it well, AFAIK as long as it's not tooooo far off the warranty range like 1-2 years, they should fix it with no issues.

Thanks espn, I believe they will be nice to me. Let you guys know what happens Monday. :)

jnet6 said:
Yo, espn.....
how's yr new "bah zhang"?

hehehehe.....

How come so many people got bah-zhang? Is it dragon boat festival already?? :dunno:

Ansel said:
Thanks espn, I believe they will be nice to me. Let you guys know what happens Monday. :)
No probz Ansel, I'm sure they won't be that particular about your warranty card and receipt this time :) Give me a call if you need help, PM me for my number.

Ansel, Jnet6 :kok: NEVER EVER mention the BAHZHANG :nono: :bsmilie:

I think it would help if we stop our own speculation.

If those with problem would be kind enough to post the details of their D70, frequency of usage, accessories used, etc etc, we may be able to see if it is a faulty by random, faulty batch, faulty by usage... or some corelation may appear.

-----------------

Serial starting with:
Date of Purchase:
Place of Purchase:
Shutter count:
Lense/Batt/Accessories use:

Storage condition (climate controlled/humidity controlled/etc):

Frequency of use (Monthly):
Location/Climate of Usage (Sunny/Indoor/Studio/etc):

Others:

Thanks to everyone who have participated in this poll. The main objective is really to know if the problem was isolated on the first few units which was sold immediately after the product launch (which includes my unit).

In my opinion, we really cannot establish anything except that this is a common problem (given that most of us who goes to Nikon SG for repair will most probably bump to 1 or two person with this same problem).

The bright side is that since it is a "known" problem, it can be FIXED. The problem also manifest during the warranty period so i guess the only hassle is to go down to Nikon service center during weekdays (considering that most of us are working) and wait for 2-3 weeks or more (mine is more than 2week and running and still no news from the service center, so intend to make a follow-up).

Pinoy_SAP said:
Thanks to everyone who have participated in this poll. The main objective is really to know if the problem was isolated on the first few units which was sold immediately after the product launch (which includes my unit).

Apparently it's happening very randomly and on VERY small amount of units across batches, some have survived > 1yr, some less than a few months, if it's a very common issue, it would have surfaced in all sets.

Pinoy_SAP said:
In my opinion, we really cannot establish anything except that this is a common problem (given that most of us who goes to Nikon SG for repair will most probably bump to 1 or two person with this same problem).
This is a common RANDOM problem, definitely NOT a commonly seen issue, if it is, I'd be the first to complain, no worries on it. Given the sets sold, and those that have particpated in this poll is not enough to urge Nikon to pull all sets back, the ratio just isn't there, there also isn't life & death issues like battery exploding or sensor melting etc. Sadly, :(

Pinoy_SAP said:
The bright side is that since it is a "known" problem, it can be FIXED. The problem also manifest during the warranty period so i guess the only hassle is to go down to Nikon service center during weekdays (considering that most of us are working) and wait for 2-3 weeks or more (mine is more than 2week and running and still no news from the service center, so intend to make a follow-up).
I won't deny it's a known problem, but even if it's after warranty, I believe Nikon SG should have no qualms accepting it for repairs. Might be due to a faulty transistor or something on the PCB or anything, who knows? :dunno:

espn said:
I won't deny it's a known problem, but even if it's after warranty, I believe Nikon SG should have no qualms accepting it for repairs. Might be due to a faulty transistor or something on the PCB or anything, who knows? :dunno:

Hi ESPN, just a curious question.... what exactly is ur affiliation with Nikon SG? I have nothing against you (believe me) but I just noticed that you really speak strongly on the side of Nikon even giving your own say in terms warranty expired and Nikon will still accept it for repair (obcourse, they will accept but the question is there a service charge involved). Anyway, I just like to share a PM that I received from a fellow CS regarding the D70 problem (here goes).

The problem is a known one.. It is due to a circuit board break.. Nikon designed it for Japanese Quality manufacturing but when it was done in thailand, they are not sophisticated enough to do the job correctly.

Mine and 4 others I know have failed and you need to replace the whole circuit board.

This was proven when my friend brought it for Skiing, when he returned to SG it broke due to the heat/cold cycle.

Do not set your drybox humudity to < 50% as it can also cause expansion and contraction like cold and hot.

Nikon SG will not acknowledge the problem. It takes so long to fix because there is a LONG QUEUE of broken D70s.

Bottomline, it WILL FAIL again after repair. so Beware

Pinoy_SAP said:
Hi ESPN, just a curious question.... what exactly is ur affiliation with Nikon SG? I have nothing against you (believe me) but I just noticed that you really speak strongly on the side of Nikon even giving your own say in terms warranty expired and Nikon will still accept it for repair (obcourse, they will accept but the question is there a service charge involved). Anyway, I just like to share a PM that I received from a fellow CS regarding the D70 problem (here goes).
Contrary to what others would think is that I'm paid by Nikon SG, sadly but I'm just a consumer, just happen to know how Nikon SG works and their ways of handling customers & services, so am very confident to make such statements. The warranty portion is taken from some replies whereby theirs were sent in after the warranty was over and wasn't charged, you can do a search for it.

Other than being a NPS member, I have absolutely no affliation with Nikon SG, I repeat, NO AFFLIATION WITH NIKON SG.

Pinoy_SAP said:
The problem is a known one.. It is due to a circuit board break.. Nikon designed it for Japanese Quality manufacturing but when it was done in thailand, they are not sophisticated enough to do the job correctly.

Mine and 4 others I know have failed and you need to replace the whole circuit board.

This was proven when my friend brought it for Skiing, when he returned to SG it broke due to the heat/cold cycle.

Do not set your drybox humudity to < 50% as it can also cause expansion and contraction like cold and hot.

Nikon SG will not acknowledge the problem. It takes so long to fix because there is a LONG QUEUE of broken D70s.

Bottomline, it WILL FAIL again after repair. so Beware
I'll cut a long reply short.

It's a known problem with a few sets, not ALL the sets. Whether thailand was competant or not I'm unsure, but I believe ISO standards are there for a reason, what standards Japan has, the ISO standards documents are brought over as well.

Anything that's been heated and cooled and heated again will definitely break, dohz...

How do you know there's a long queue of D70s? From my best of knowledge, Nikon SG doesn't keep spare parts, these spare parts are ordered in from overseas to do the repairs, thus the long wait and not because there's a long queue of broken D70s. Tsk tsk.

Anything that will fail, will fail, regardless before/after/during repair. This can be acclaimed to Murphy's Law. Face it. Even if you bought a D70 made in Japan, it can fail, means it can fail.

Hot/Cold syndrome!? :confused:

Siao liao!!! I think I will be the next in line :sticktong

So far, within a period of 1 year, my camera has been to extremes temperature more than 6 times liao :sweat:

Singapore 33 deg (humidity 80) --> Beijing 8 deg (30)
Japan 6 deg (40)
Beijing -14 (30)
Japan -2 (40)
Austria -8 (60)

espn said:
Other than being a NPS member, I have absolutely no affliation with Nikon SG, I repeat, NO AFFLIATION WITH NIKON SG.

ok, that should set the record straight. cheers to the Dark Side ;)

chisiang said:
Hot/Cold syndrome!? :confused:

Siao liao!!! I think I will be the next in line :sticktong

So far, within a period of 1 year, my camera has been to extremes temperature more than 6 times liao :sweat:

Singapore 33 deg (humidity 80) --> Beijing 8 deg (30)
Japan 6 deg (40)
Beijing -14 (30)
Japan -2 (40)
Austria -8 (60)

As long as when you transit from the different temperature areas from one to another it's being taken care of, it's safe la, pro bodies also same ma ;)

didn't hear of such problems with other cameras like D100, D1, D1X, D1H, etc though. or cameras from other manufacturers.

mpenza said:
didn't hear of such problems with other cameras like D100, D1, D1X, D1H, etc though. or cameras from other manufacturers.
Problems are always unpredictable and unexpectable, there's always no reasons given, no matter how hard you try, can't seem to find a satisfactory explanation ;)

mpenza said:

There's a difference between pro bodies and non-pro bodies. Pro bodies are put thru more stringent tests and more extreme environmental stress tests. All pro bodies are still made-in-Japan.

The D70 is a budget DSLR. You do get what you pay for.

Good luck to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.