Nikon D70 failed and continuous blinking of CF light

Does your D70 failed and CF light keeps on blinking, MENU wont display, etc...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinoy_SAP said:
Hi ESPN, just a curious question.... what exactly is ur affiliation with Nikon SG? I have nothing against you (believe me) but I just noticed that you really speak strongly on the side of Nikon even giving your own say in terms warranty expired and Nikon will still accept it for repair (obcourse, they will accept but the question is there a service charge involved). Anyway, I just like to share a PM that I received from a fellow CS regarding the D70 problem (here goes).

need u ask? isn't it obvious enough? this is what separates the ordinary users & die hard fans. :bsmilie:

Random failures = no problems at all
non-random failures = 1 batch problematic
more than 20% failed in less than 12 mths = small quantity
nikon acknowledged the problem = false, becos NOT ALL FAILed

bottom line: who r we kidding? ask yourself one question: when was the last time u bought an electronic gear that has 100% failure rate (all failed) across the country/globe in less than 12mths?

i personally think more than 20% is a big quantity to warrant a closer look for my choices, just like buying a particular brand/model of hard disk or maybe air-con. just my 2cts. :sticktong:

Ansel said:
There's a difference between pro bodies and non-pro bodies. Pro bodies are put thru more stringent tests and more extreme environmental stress tests. All pro bodies are still made-in-Japan.

The D70 is a budget DSLR. You do get what you pay for.

Good luck to all.

D100 is also a consumer grade DSLR, fyi. :)

Paul_Yeo said:
any update on this?

I have collected my D70 and so far so good. I waited for 15 working days before I got the notice to collect my repaired camera. The "light metering PCB/FCB" was replaced.

And how ironic, another lady is also reporting the same problem and was asked to leave her D70 for repair. :bigeyes:

i just send mine in yesterday for the same problem,but she told me takes ard 7-10days only leh..

1st time need repair from Nikon service centre,never had this type of problem with SLR :(
less than 1 yr nia spoil liao sian ½

kex said:
i just send mine in yesterday for the same problem,but she told me takes ard 7-10days only leh..

1st time need repair from Nikon service centre,never had this type of problem with SLR :(
less than 1 yr nia spoil liao sian ½

My camera was sent for repairing in December, now warranty just expired, bet it better don't fail on me again.

kex said:

7-10 days is a standard thing to say, i sent mine last 14 Feb and was informed that the camera is ready for collection last 04 Mar 2005.

maybe the spare part needed was really in demand since a lot of similar problem is popping up. :eek:

simonw said:
My camera was sent for repairing in December, now warranty just expired, bet it better don't fail on me again.

I noticed in the "Nikon repair form" that Nikon warrants the workmanship for 3 months, not sure if the replaced "Light metering FCB" is included if it fails again within 3 months. :dunno:

bcos my D70 is the early batch ones and warranty just over this year

Mine is back after only a few days. I think it is a spare part availability thingy. If you send in when they have the parts, it gets fixed fast. But if you send in just when the stocks run out, then you have to wait for the next shipment of spares which may take a while.

They even did some general servicing like cleaning my CCD, and upgraded my firmware as well.

Just hope the same problem doesn't occur again.

:D

nightpiper said:
D100 is also a consumer grade DSLR, fyi. :)

Not exactly. It is a lot more solid than the D70. I would say it is somewhere between consumer and professional grade. I believe the lens mount construction of the D100 has more solid metal parts then the D70.

it is a consumer grade camera too :) just take a look at the specs. it's more metal but what makes u think the D70 can't stand up as much to the D100 just cos its got more metal :D hehe

Ansel said:
Not exactly. It is a lot more solid than the D70. I would say it is somewhere between consumer and professional grade. I believe the lens mount construction of the D100 has more solid metal parts then the D70.

More solid? never heard of an F80 body that has more metal parts. i m still holding on to my F80 & snap a few occasionally, so i know what i m talking about. if i m not mistaken, D70 also metal lens mount & metal screws. its really the quality inside lah. just like a 2 persons standing next to each other but one has a heart problem. u can't tell from the outside, can u?

just received a call from nikon informing my D70 is ready for collection liao !~

Quite impressed by the service,took less than 48hrs to get it done ~

kex said:
just received a call from nikon informing my D70 is ready for collection liao !~

Quite impressed by the service,took less than 48hrs to get it done ~

lucky guy, mine took 3 weeks. :thumbsup:

so many failures happened to D70.

Mine is bought in Nov-2004, so far so good. I wished I could use it for at least 3 years when I decided to buy it.

It is really a disheartening news. :thumbsd:

fogandflower said:
so many failures happened to D70.

Mine is bought in Nov-2004, so far so good. I wished I could use it for at least 3 years when I decided to buy it.

It is really a disheartening news. :thumbsd:

actually i wanted to switch system after this problem arise,went to cathay and heard from the sales there every digital system has it fair share of breakdown..

So i decided to stick to Nikon for now...(got a 3 mth warranty on the repair)

if u want something to last,get a mechanical camera. :thumbsup:

would not buy a digital system if not for the convenience of work..

btw, how many shots u all taken before the camera died?

not the time, but no. of shots ....as time not really impt right? can leave the camera in dry cabinet for months but shoot only 10 photos.....

i had over 13,000 shots from early last year....dunno if it is going to be hospitalised or not? :sweat: :sweat:

kex said:
actually i wanted to switch system after this problem arise,went to cathay and heard from the sales there every digital system has it fair share of breakdown..

It might be a sadly true fact in our life now. Everybody is going to digital, and there is no looking back.

I kind of regreted my purchase: I should have gone to Harvey Norman to get the D70 with extended warranty. I salute to the companies give free longer warranty period for their product over their counterparts.

I hope if this problem happen(it is apparantly a reliability issue and user is hardly at fault), whether within warranty or not, nikon can take care of it for its users FOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.