Nikon D70 failed and continuous blinking of CF light

Does your D70 failed and CF light keeps on blinking, MENU wont display, etc...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinoy_SAP said:
i agree, its like a time bomb. so i guess those who have purchased later than the first few batches might not be excempted from this problem. mine was 11 months old when this "alarming" problem occurs. imagine if you are in a very important photo assignment... its a disaster. "A recall is definitely a goodwill". I hate to say it, but im really this disappointed with D70 after personnally having this problem. totally OUT-OF-ORDER!!!

Ok ok, I hardcore Nikon but not going to defend this.

But as again, it's your responsibility to ensure you have a backup just in case weird things do happen during your assignments, if it breaks, I don't think it's right to capitalise on the fault of it just because it failed during an assignment.

It can fail anytime if it wanted to, Murphy's law.

Up to now this is the only known (PCB/FCB) problem with the D70 and Nikon has been handling repair/changes accordingly and has not made the people pay for it. So I guess it's a pretty good gesture already and goes to show (well) at least Nikon doesn't just junk the users aside and ignores them.

Just because a lot of users are having it again, doesn't warranty a callback, but I've absolute faith in Nikon that they will do it if necessary. Btw, the numbers sold are by the thousands, having 10-20 sets in CS known with the problem is really nothing to shout about by my standard (just me). With no statistics, also a bit hard for Nikon to handle this problem. I'll check with Nikon SG and see what's the figures currently and see if a solution & explanation be made.

Btw, I'm still going ahead with my plans to get one this month end, no, not a D2X/D100. A D70.

Cheers folks :)

hmmm not much of a problem happen to my D70... working well .....

Exact same failure happen to mine too 2 weeks back :(

Juz collected back from nikon after repair. The weird thing is my shutter count went from 8000+ to 68 after repair!

espn said:
Btw, I'm still going ahead with my plans to get one this month end, no, not a D2X/D100. A D70.

u very sure not waiting for the 'D200'? its just right around the corner... :devil:

:bsmilie:

sounds like u have gotten a fat ang bao this year. :)

espn said:

But as again, it's your responsibility to ensure you have a backup just in case weird things do happen during your assignments, if it breaks, I don't think it's right to capitalise on the fault of it just because it failed during an assignment.

Up to now this is the only known (PCB/FCB) problem with the D70 and Nikon has been handling repair/changes accordingly and has not made the people pay for it. So I guess it's a pretty good gesture already and goes to show (well) at least Nikon doesn't just junk the users aside and ignores them.

Just because a lot of users are having it again, doesn't warranty a callback, but I've absolute faith in Nikon that they will do it if necessary. Btw, the numbers sold are by the thousands, having 10-20 sets in CS known with the problem is really nothing to shout about by my standard (just me). With no statistics, also a bit hard for Nikon to handle this problem. I'll check with Nikon SG and see what's the figures currently and see if a solution & explanation be made.

ESPN, yes kindly check with Nikon SG. The 10-20 sets from CS may not be accurate yet... the problem usually manifest after at least 10 months of use... which means its really a time bomb just waiting to happen as it did to most of us early buyers. Take note, there is no obvious symptoms, the D70 will die without any further notice. :dunno:

nightpiper said:
u very sure not waiting for the 'D200'? its just right around the corner... :devil:

:bsmilie:

sounds like u have gotten a fat ang bao this year. :)
Nope, waiting for D2X but meanwhile will get D70 as a backup in the time being, will let the D70 go in the end of this year and replace it with D2X hopefully ;p

Pinoy_SAP said:
ESPN, yes kindly check with Nikon SG. The 10-20 sets from CS may not be accurate yet... the problem usually manifest after at least 10 months of use... which means its really a time bomb just waiting to happen as it did to most of us early buyers. Take note, there is no obvious symptoms, the D70 will die without any further notice. :dunno:

I will check with Nikon, see what they can come up with, well at least you enjoyed 10mths of usage, so I don't think it's that bad for the PCB to be fried, apart from the NAS and the withdrawal symptons of unable to press the shutter release.

Cheers

It happened to me too! My D70 died in Dec04 and the green light just blinks. After sending in to Nikon for repair(2weeks), they finally told me it's fixed and changed the Light Measuring FPC. Unfortunately, when I got it back home, I checked and it's not working either. Stuck at the time-format in menu page but nothing works at all. Was really angry with Nikon for saying it's fixed and wasting my time to go back n forth to the service centre.

Since I was away on biz trip, I came back 1 week later and found that the camera simply died again. No sound no music.

If anyone's been thru' this and their camera survived the ordeal(and still alive), lemme know. I bought it in Mar 04 and the warranty expires next month. Im very disappointed in Nikon for what happened actually.

mentalmanta said:
It happened to me too! My D70 died in Dec04 and the green light just blinks. After sending in to Nikon for repair(2weeks), they finally told me it's fixed and changed the Light Measuring FPC. Unfortunately, when I got it back home, I checked and it's not working either. Stuck at the time-format in menu page but nothing works at all. Was really angry with Nikon for saying it's fixed and wasting my time to go back n forth to the service centre.

Since I was away on biz trip, I came back 1 week later and found that the camera simply died again. No sound no music.

If anyone's been thru' this and their camera survived the ordeal(and still alive), lemme know. I bought it in Mar 04 and the warranty expires next month. Im very disappointed in Nikon for what happened actually.
You didn't check it when you received it back? :bigeyes:

i just went to nikon today (14-Feb-05) and while being attended for my D70, another customer came next to me and how ironic... same D70 problem. i ask the lady at the counter and she told me that a number of said problem was attended today. well just today... so how many of us then???

Anyway, I hope all goes well after the repair (which will take 7-10 days).

geoyip said:
Exact same failure happen to mine too 2 weeks back :(

Juz collected back from nikon after repair. The weird thing is my shutter count went from 8000+ to 68 after repair!

Hi,

Do you have to call Nikon on the status of the repair? I sent mine on 28 Jan 2005 and have not heard from them since.

Pinoy_SAP said:
i just went to nikon today (14-Feb-05) and while being attended for my D70, another customer came next to me and how ironic... same D70 problem. i ask the lady at the counter and she told me that a number of said problem was attended today. well just today... so how many of us then???

Anyway, I hope all goes well after the repair (which will take 7-10 days).

assuming 3-5 persons each day, there'll 60-100 per month.... but there're probably more cases today due to the long CNY break.

mpenza said:
assuming 3-5 persons each day, there'll 60-100 per month.... but there're probably more cases today due to the long CNY break.
Hmmm ... in which case I'd better push and abuse my camera more and see if it'll go as I've only got 1 more month of Nikon warranty. Not that it had been living an easy life, being exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dry air, sea air (it's amazing how much dust you find on your CCD after one change of lens near a breezy beach or dusty road), rain and high levels of ultra fine graphite and metal dust (quite deadly to electronic components).

But I'll be more than happy if it can hold on till the end of this year when I can replace it with the D2X or whatever is king then.

Wondering, for those that the D70 died, were you all using original batteries or OEMs?

No offence to Eastgear, seriously just wondering.

espn said:
Wondering, for those that the D70 died, were you all using original batteries or OEMs?

Only ever used one battery - the original that came with the camera.

espn said:

same here, only one battery that came with the package.

littlefoot said:
Hi,

Do you have to call Nikon on the status of the repair? I sent mine on 28 Jan 2005 and have not heard from them since.

Just received a call from Nikon today that my D70 is ready for collection. For info, I'm using original battery, my one and only.

espn said:

If the problem is inherent in the D70, shouldn't Nikon recall all production units and have the PCB's replaced .... for free? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.