Mt Kinabalu - My Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpepsi

Jan 2, 2005
The 3rd Rock
Finally back from Mt Kinabalu and here are some photos to share. Mt Kinabalu looks very small from afar but my heart sank by the magnificent view of the mountain when we collected our trekking permit at Timpohon Gate. The trip was split into two days. On the first day, we reached Laban Rata Resthouse (3272m) at 3 pm, which the journey took us 5 1/2 hour. The temperature at Laban Rata was approximately 10c, which was also our first taste of cold-water shower. The water cut our skin like knives and our brain froze up during our hair wash. Apparently, they have ran out of hot water, so bad luck for us.

On the 2nd day, we woke up at 2am and commence climb at 2.30am to the summit. "Lao Tien Ye" was unkind to us again. At about 1 hour into our climb, it started to rain and together with the strong wind, my right arm froze up and became numb. Was told the temperature was close to 0c; simple task like changing camera batteries took a lot of effort to coordinate both arms together.

The granite rock became slippery as it continues to rain. I heard other climbers complained about altitude sickness and stopped for "medical oil", but the mountain guides told them to move on, b'cos if their bodies cools down too fast, they may go into coma and roll down the slope faster than a 10 pin bowling ball.

It was dark and cold up there, we were tired and speechless, and walked like zombies, and the only consolation was the beautiful full moon up in the sky, which kept us going. Every meter we covered, I felt that we are getting closer to the moon and as if can be touched with my stretched out arms. I guess my mind must be hallucinating at that moment from the icy cold wind.

After sunrise, we headed back to Laban Rata for breakfast and limbed our way back to Timpohon Gate. We thought going down hill is piece of cake but it took us the about same amount hours as the day before when we climbed that same track.

Was an interesting life experience and met many interesting people there too.

Enjoy.

Kinabalu060316319-resize.jpg

Kinabalu060316236-resize.jpg

Kinabalu060316336-resize.jpg

Kinabalu060316253-resize.jpg

jeffhiew said:
Finally back from Mt Kinabalu and here are some photos to share. Mt Kinabalu looks very small from afar but my heart sank by the magnificent view of the mountain when we collected our trekking permit at Timpohon Gate. The trip was split into two days. On the first day, we reached Laban Rata Resthouse (3272m) at 3 pm, which the journey took us 5 1/2 hour. The temperature at Laban Rata was approximately 10c, which was also our first taste of cold-water shower. The water cut our skin like knives and our brain froze up during our hair wash. Apparently, they have ran out of hot water, so bad luck for us.

On the 2nd day, we woke up at 2am and commence climb at 2.30am to the summit. "Lao Tien Ye" was unkind to us again. At about 1 hour into our climb, it started to rain and together with the strong wind, my right arm froze up and became numb. Was told the temperature was close to 0c; simple task like changing camera batteries took a lot of effort to coordinate both arms together.

The granite rock became slippery as it continues to rain. I heard other climbers complained about altitude sickness and stopped for "medical oil", but the mountain guides told them to move on, b'cos if their bodies cools down too fast, they may go into coma and roll down the slope faster than a 10 pin bowling ball.

It was dark and cold up there, we were tired and speechless, and walked like zombies, and the only consolation was the beautiful full moon up in the sky, which kept us going. Every meter we covered, I felt that we are getting closer to the moon and as if can be touched with my stretched out arms. I guess my mind must be hallucinating at that moment from the icy cold wind.

After sunrise, we headed back to Laban Rata for breakfast and limbed our way back to Timpohon Gate. We thought going down hill is piece of cake but it took us the about same amount hours as the day before when we climbed that same track.

Enjoy.

Well done! :thumbsup:
THis shot is superb... amazing that you got clear weather to shoot this scene which usually is foggy or overcasted!

jeffhiew said:

Enjoy.

Kinabalu060316236-resize.jpg

Kinabalu060316336-resize.jpg

Kinabalu060316253-resize.jpg

spectacular! amazingly captivating!

wonderful pics,from these pics,it's seem an endless climb.

Jeff, you have a nice shot of that peak .. remind me of my climb there years ago.
Did u managed to capture the "Donkey Ear" peak?
Thx for sharing.:)

Wow.. breathtaking.. :thumbsup:
btw can share how did you keep your gears free from moisture?

awesome shots.... thx for sharing...

siriuslim said:
Wow.. breathtaking.. :thumbsup:
btw can share how did you keep your gears free from moisture?

Tx guys.

Ok, my setup were:
- Nikon D70 + 18-70mm kit lens
- Lowepro Toploader

Yeah, the weather can be very moist up there, but the weather changes very fast, it may rain now, and next minute sun shine. Avoid lens change if possible, after shooting, always put it back into the camera bag ASAP for better weather protection.

or get weather sealed cam and lenses....:bsmilie:

SniperD said:
Well done! :thumbsup:
THis shot is superb... amazing that you got clear weather to shoot this scene which usually is foggy or overcasted!

Tx SniperD, wish I'm always that lucky. May be the rain in the morning help to clear the fog away.:D

Hosea said:
Jeff, you have a nice shot of that peak .. remind me of my climb there years ago.
Did u managed to capture the "Donkey Ear" peak?
Thx for sharing.:)

Think I missed that peak. :cry:

kross said:
or get weather sealed cam and lenses....:bsmilie:

Wished mine was a D200 and Nikkor 17-55, but the weight may have killed me before I can get up there. :D

BTW, I met a British nature photographer for a magazine whose setup was Canon 20D, 600m f/4L IS plus other lenses. Was told the total weight was ~25kg. :sweat:

great series...esp the first one.

really brought me back to when i was at low's peak! climb until peng san man!

Amazing series......made me wanted to go mt climbing also :lovegrin:

Btw now then I see the full potential of our D70 + kit.....I really need to work harder on my skill man :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.