Model Shoot with Melody (Lingerie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo Chill man everyone!

Blurboiboi, yes, DP normally is straight in the forum.
But you should be glad that he drops in a comment. Different people teaches in different way.
Take a look at here and think a little about how different is the pictures over there.
Are there any story behind the shots?

Why should anyone be glad to receive snide & condescending comments?

Why should anyone be glad to receive snide & condescending comments?

You want everyone to only be happy, hand-holding and sugar-coat everything?

Honest opinions are the best imho.

First time attempting model shoot....
shot them awhile back.... just remembered them and took them out to process...
hope you guys like them...
C&C are most welcome!!!!... I would like to know areas i can improve in... thanks!

MelodyLow2.jpg

not bad wat! ur post generate so much criticisms... 3 pages already...tat means ppl are interested to see when you titled it "lingerie"
just that most ppl are in denial and act high class.

wat ever it is..u happy can already! again everybody entitle to their own views..even those tat criticize not wrong either...

the middle frame, the angle made her look out of proportion.
cheers

not bad wat! ur post generate so much criticisms... 3 pages already...tat means ppl are interested to see when you titled it "lingerie"
just that most ppl are in denial and act high class.

excuse me. what do you mean that we're in denial and act high class?

Lingerie as a word itself tells the reader that it's high-class undergarments. what we see here is nothing but a young lass prancing around in skimpy attire including bikinis, and undergarments that don't look high-class enough.

this is more like a bra-and-panties shoot. but what would you expect more classiness from? a bra-and-panties shoot or lingerie shoot?

Yes, some people cant distinguish bikinis from lingerie :) And those dumb blank stares from seductive come hither looks :) And those weird distorted contortions from real sexy poses :)

For the composite, look at the pic in the centre, what's she doing holding on to the shower head like this? She's trying to demo what comes out, how it works, whilst standing on the ledge??? And the top right pic, whats with the hand sticking out of the face/head? And the bottom right pic, she looks like she's perplexed & scratching her head like you know?

Even the nicer pic below, you have the eyes right dead centre in the photo with all those empty spaces above & the leg/toes sticking out of the head. With limbs sticking out here & there, chopped off here & there, its a real "hatchet" job I should say.

But I admire TS's attempts here & desire to improve. And I must admit, I really like the lighting in the earlier photos. Its excellent, comparable to the so many I've seen in those men's magazines done by professionals. Same for the models grooming, features & body. Just pity the composition, poses, "concepts" conveyed thru the use of lens, & the rest.

Last edited:
I've spent half an hour reading all the comments, everyone has a point... and I like it. I guess TS know what to expect when he posted the pics and invited C & C...For you mate, thanks for sharing and the effort. When is her next assignment?;)

Same for the models grooming, features & body.

Professional magazines will not let the models use those horrible "alien brainsucker eyes" contacts, or the BBQ-skewer eyelashes. As for features and body, aside from her "endowments", she is extremely disproportionate (long torso, short legs) which is also unappealing for a professional magazine shoot.

Professional magazines will not let the models use those horrible "alien brainsucker eyes" contacts, or the BBQ-skewer eyelashes. As for features and body, aside from her "endowments", she is extremely disproportionate (long torso, short legs) which is also unappealing for a professional magazine shoot.

Aiyoh bro, must give some chance leh, especially for one with name like Melody. Can C&C photography, sometimes the photographer but not so much the models lah. Moreover, there are lots of young hot-blooded males who just love these accessories, "kawaii" looks or pure "endowments", artificial or otherwise. By "professional" I am not referring to those "atas" fashion magazines lah, I had in mind those japaneses men's magazines like "Up To Boy" etc in those quiet sections catering to these in Kinokuniya :bsmilie:

Last edited:
TS, don't worry about it & keep shooting. I started shooting trash & still do but we all learn on the way & the harshest comments are the best.

The problem with this kind of shoot is that it's usually conducted in small, cheap room with poor furnishing, lighting & packed with other photographers. It's very difficult to do much decent stuff & unless the gang is your kaki, it won't be easy to communicate with a model you met for the first time.

Now the challenge is to see who can present Melody in better light :D

One thing I learned (from shooting landscapes, ironically) is not to use wide angle lenses on human subjects. Not unless you know exactly what you want to achieve with the perspective distortion, like making the legs appear longer. Even then I'd be really careful not to overdo it and use the longest focal length I can.

Some of your shots are nicely conceptualizer but just not executed well. For example, the "long body" shots in the bathroom is a result of choosing a poor venue. You need to realize before the shoot that the tiny cramped bathroom is not suitable for full body portraits. You might have achieved a better effect by taking half body or head and shoulders only. Say, the shower sprinkling water on her hair or water running down her face.

One more thing is to stick to your theme. Is she meant to be sultry? Cute? Sexy? I see a mused signal in your shots. Try to work with the model more and put her into the right mood.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
You want everyone to only be happy, hand-holding and sugar-coat everything?

Honest opinions are the best imho.

I didn't know honest opinions need to be delivered in a rude and condescending manner. What's wrong with passing constructive criticism with tact and encouragement?

because usually people won't really reflect on what's wrong and just think

"hey. someone likes it. oh hey. MAYBE i should improve"

compared to getting blasted left, right and center, and after cooling down, think back on what the person has said and weigh out what's really wrong.

I didn't know honest opinions need to be delivered in a rude and condescending manner. What's wrong with passing constructive criticism with tact and encouragement?

If it's not what you really thought, how is it honest? You're going back to sugar-coating, which is not always appropriate. There's a big difference in the underlying meaning between saying "You can do better next time! Keep it up!" and saying "Your pictures CMI" if they really CMI. The first implies "good, but can be better" and the second one implies "go back and think hard about what you are trying to do".

sometimes when i think everyone's right, i remember the adage, "there are no rules in photography".
jeanloup sieff , a very dead fashion photographer used 21 - 28mm for fashion shoot, including closeups.
i am sure he must had gotten a lot of "CMI lah... how can use ultrawide , see even your photo is distorted..."

http://graememitchell.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/jeanloup_seiff_1.jpg

in fact his early fashion shoot with vogue, he was nearly fired by magazine editor for using ultra wide.
yet, now he is a celebrated dead photographer.

so please dun stop using your wides for closeups and mei-mei look. most of the other photographers here
dun know jack-shitz, yours truly included. (I get even more flack for using film)

sometimes when i think everyone's right, i remember the adage, "there are no rules in photography".
jeanloup sieff , a very dead fashion photographer used 21 - 28mm for fashion shoot, including closeups.
i am sure he must had gotten a lot of "CMI lah... how can use ultrawide , see even your photo is distorted..."

in fact his early fashion shoot with vogue, he was nearly fired by magazine editor for using ultra wide.

so please dun stop using your wides for closeups and mei-mei look. most of the other photographers here
dun know jack-shitz, yours truly included. (I get even more flack for using film)

Sieff is one of my fav photography, but the example you used is totally inappropriate for the disscussion at hand. We are looking at a genre - beauty liingerie implied in a room/bthroom. The key to this discussion is beauty. Yes, you can use wide angle, but do be aware, that route is a minefield. Do so with care and TS did not.

There are alot more problems with the pictures posted, not just the choice of lens. CMI is frequently bestowed not just because of one problem, or even two. There are usually many, and the one or two highlighted ones are merely the most aggregious.

i think everyone has its first time...i suck at doing model shoots too..basically everything but i only felt its just a hobby unless u wish to get into some sort of fashion industry in future...so why take it so seriously?

If you really want to be so seriou about ur photography and learn where is ur mistake..then i tot the best way to learn if to join the industry and be an apprentice..and learn from the master...see how they shoot..the lightings etc?

Everyone is bias on their comments here..and who is the one who can say this is the right way of shooting? Did they receive some honourary awards or widely recognised in the industry? Its just pure perception and the way individual thinks. If you ask me seriously, which guy wont be staring at the chest of this beautiful lady when u look at the pic? U mean u guys only focus on the face? then why shoot in bikinis? n why choose such a pretty model?

It's great to break every rules but only if you can do it well. There is nothing wrong with using whatever tools a photographer choose but the resultant should be one of which challenge conventional thinking but in a good way. People might not accept it first but if the truth is there, there will be a follower.

Regards,

Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.