How to improve transfer speed of photo images

divinemoment

Nov 29, 2009
david-low.smugmug.com
This is about transfering speed of photo images. Hope is relevant to post here. Let me briefly explain so as to achieve money well spend, or not at all.

The Ravpower is a gadget that transfer images from SD card to a portable disk on the go without the need to bring a laptop. You can’t view any picture, just slot in SD card, press a button and you can go take a shower.

I’m seeking the fastest way to transfer the images to the portable disk. Here’s the data:

1) Sandisk SD card as shown. I believed the 170mb/s is read speed. Fr google, the write speed seems like 90mb/s.

2) Ravpower port connection is USB 2.0 Type A. Signal rate is 480mb/s

3) The current portable disk am using is an old HDD. Not sure abt the speedIt took 4.5min to transfer 5GB photos which is abt 18mb/s. Its ridiculously slow. I don’t know where’s the choking pt. One photo tour outing of a week would easily reached 200 GB. With the current HDD, that would take 3 hrs!

As layman, my first consideration is to improve the write speed from HDD to SSD. The considerations are:

4) I hv several of the same SD cards. I don’t intend to upgrade the SD card. Don’t wish to spend the money and not sure whether will it make much difference.

5) Ravpower remain unchanged. There is no upgrading of the port to USB 3.0 or Type C connection. Its quite an old design and I can’t find any similar gadget in the market besides another old gadget which is WD My Passport, 8 times the cost of Ravpower.

6) Will a SSD help to speed up the transfer? I hv in mind a particular brand “Crucial” X9 or X10, writes at 975mb/s and 2000mb/s respectively. It comes with Type C connectors at both ends. So I need to get an adapter C to A at Ravpower side. So I believe it will limit the transfer speed by the USB port 2.0 if I’m not wrong.

7) I’m not abt to just spend the money and lets try out and experiment. All the specs are given abv, presumably are correct. Can some techie advise will changing to SDD helps? What other factors that can help to bring to speed?

Tks much.

Attachments

• RV.jpg
    RV.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
It is well known and proven that ssd is 2/3 x faster than HDD using usb interface. No point getting higher speed usb 3 SSD unless you plan on using with computer for editing and video. That is computer support usb C but might as well use pc motherboard pcie 3 or 4 nvme SSD. No matter how fast device will default to the slowest speed like your Ravpower usb2.0.

Don't be fooled by usb2 @480mbs, that is megabits which is about 50 megabytes/s.

This video all should watch about usb C does not mean high speed so all the usb C are mostly used for power charging and delivery if SSD must use usb C or it cannot give the rated data transfer. So don't be fooled by usb C either.

Watch part detailing data transfer @ 13:48

It is well known and proven that ssd is 2/3 x faster than HDD using usb interface. No point getting higher speed usb 3 SSD unless you plan on using with computer for editing and video. That is computer support usb C but might as well use pc motherboard pcie 3 or 4 nvme SSD. No matter how fast device will default to the slowest speed like your Ravpower usb2.0.

Don't be fooled by usb2 @480mbs, that is megabits which is about 50 megabytes/s.

This video all should watch about usb C does not mean high speed so all the usb C are mostly used for power charging and delivery if SSD must use usb C or it cannot give the rated data transfer. So don't be fooled by usb C either.

Watch part detailing data transfer @ 13:48

Tks for reply.

Am not sure why you throw usb 3 into the mix. So I'm getting more confused.

Anyway I did watched the vid and I learned a little abt cables. But still not sure will getting just the cable will help the transfer speed, while the rest of components remain constant. I also don't know what type of cables anyway so can forget abt the cabling thing.

Tks for reply.

Am not sure why you throw usb 3 into the mix. So I'm getting more confused.

Anyway I did watched the vid and I learned a little abt cables. But still not sure will getting just the cable will help the transfer speed, while the rest of components remain constant. I also don't know what type of cables anyway so can forget abt the cabling thing.

It's simple buy a external usb SSD drive but now all comes with usb C ( cable provided ) and you will experience faster transfer speeds. Problem solved. Your current usb HDD is your bottle neck. If your navpower has only usb 2.0 then get an cable adapter.

Another alternative, get sata sdd as it is using usb . Add a enclosure and you have usb 2 or 3. Get Crucial MX series which is slower or faster series. Same form factor as those laptop HDD.

Last edited:
It's simple buy a external usb SSD drive but now all comes with usb C ( cable provided ) and you will experience faster transfer speeds. Problem solved. Your current usb HDD is your bottle neck. If your navpower has only usb 2.0 then get an cable adapter.

Another alternative, get sata sdd as it is using usb . Add a enclosure and you have usb 2 or 3. Get Crucial MX series which is slower or faster series. Same form factor as those laptop HDD.
Buying an external SSD is the first thing I hv in mind. Though it comes with USB C, as I already mentioned in my first posting I need an adaptor. That is not an issue. Am afraid the issue is the USB 2 port in the ravpower which I just suspect is the bottle neck. I think its not that straight forward buying the best and fastest external disk will solve the problem. It always boil down to the "weakest" link. Is it not? Or I will end up spending money just to experiment. I believed with facts and figures it can be determined. That why I gave all the figures

Last edited:
You don't seem to get it. A sata SSD is anytime faster than HDD.
What's wrong with usb 2 that's what you have it's better than nothing.
This video is 12 years ago!

One more time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info gathered. Your current bottleneck is likely your old HDD at around 18.5 MB/s (megabytes per second)

Second in line to bottleneck the speed is the old USB 2.0:
- theoretical max speed of 480 Mb/s (megabits per second) = (generally divide by 8 to convert to bytes) 60 MB/s.
- Practically max speed due to overheads is around 40 MB/s (assuming your are transferring RAW files, if transferring many small files then speed will be slower)
- So if you use any drive faster than 40MB/s, you will still be limited by the USB 2.0 and at most cut transfer time by half compared to your old HDD

The confusion is USB-A / C generally describes the shape of the connector, while USB 2.0 / 3.0 etc describes the specifications one of which is the speed.

If you really want to continue using your Ravpower to backup to another USB device then I think the slightly faster and cheaper alternative is to use a SD card reader and backup to another of your Extreme Pro SD cards. SD cards (or SSDs) will also be less prone to mechanical damage than your HDD.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the info gathered. Your current bottleneck is likely your old HDD at around 18.5 MB/s (megabytes per second)

Second in line to bottleneck the speed is the old USB 2.0:
- theoretical max speed of 480 Mb/s (megabits per second) = (generally divide by 8 to convert to bytes) 60 MB/s.
- Practically max speed due to overheads is around 40 MB/s (assuming your are transferring RAW files, if transferring many small files then speed will be slower)
- So if you use any drive faster than 40MB/s, you will still be limited by the USB 2.0 and at most cut transfer time by half compared to your old HDD

The confusion is USB-A / C generally describes the shape of the connector, while USB 2.0 / 3.0 etc describes the specifications one of which is the speed.

If you really want to continue using your Ravpower to backup to another USB device then I think the slightly faster and cheaper alternative is to use a SD card reader and backup to another of your Extreme Pro SD cards. SD cards (or SSDs) will also be less prone to mechanical damage than your HDD.

Hope this helps
Tks. I'm abt to spend after CNY an external SSD portable disk. If speed don't improve somehow, I can give away to my son. At least you concur with me abt my suspicion the bottle neck is USB 2.0 though am not technically savvy but am not buying the reason someone explain irrationally
"what's wrong with usb 2 that's what you have it's better than nothing." Then following the logic there is nothing wrong with USB 1.0 too.