MF/LF Outing - Whampoa , Balestier Trail Part II 25th Feb 2012 afternoon

Nikkornos

Oct 31, 2008
Singapore/Asia
6896105755_a3c22c0627_z.jpg

image.ashx

Balestier Meeting Second Trip to finish the left overs.

Balestier Trail :: Singapore HeritageFest 2011

Meeting Place: Blk 90 Whampoa Drive - Map of Whampoa Drive Block 90 Market & Food Centre 320090
Take note there are 2 food centre structures there, look for blk 90.
Date: 25 February 2012 (Saturday)
Time: 4pm meet at hawker center (subjected to change)
Directions to get there . Bus 21, 124, 125, 131. Else just flag a taxi

Suggested Stop points :

**We can start late as the night scene at Balestier is nice too
Art Deco Shophouses, the one opposite Boon Tong Kee
Balestier Market
Former Shaw's Malay Film Studios
Goh Chor Tua Pek Kong Temple (re shoot?)
Sim Kwong Ho Shophouse I
Sim Kwong Ho Shophouse II
Kim Keat Road old houses
Novena Church
Rayman Estate
Water Kiosk - Corner of Boon Teck Road

Suggested equipment:

1. MF long lens (reach the Sim Kwong Ho Shophouse details at 6pm)
2. LF long lens
3. Super wides

Wet Weather Plan : If it drizzle/rain before the outing, then it is up to your own (including myself) discretion to turn up or not
If it drizzle/rain during the outing, pack up and go have a coffee or breakfast nearby

Keen? Leave your name here!

1.Nikkornos

Last edited:
1.Nikkornos
2.zguy (have to leave ard 6 plus or so)

Last edited:
1.Nikkornos (still shoot Mamiya, those who want to shoot night I stay to about 7 plus)

I might be interested, confirm attendance at a later date. Fuji Gx 680 user...

I know of the 69 and 67 never knew there was a 6x8 version

There's a 67 68 and 69 fuji rangefinder, same body just different mask. However the gx680 is a mf slr and in a class of its own.

Last edited:
1.Nikkornos (still shoot Mamiya, those who want to shoot night I stay to about 7 plus)
3.WootSK (Boss can borrow your Kiev 88CM to hands on. I bring a roll of 120.)
4.SheldonChew (Vege Bird friend, interested in TLR, currently still living with 135. Do contact him if you have a mechanically and optically working TLR willing to let go below 200SGD)

3.WootSK (... can borrow your Kiev 88CM to hands on. I bring a roll of 120.)

Umm.... I don't have a Kiev leh. Arax or Hartblei have.

Anyway, wrong timing lah... sent them to Steven for maintenance. Seagull anytime OK.

Umm.... I don't have a Kiev leh. Arax or Hartblei have.

Anyway, wrong timing lah... sent them to Steven for maintenance. Seagull anytime OK.

:( Want to try a interchangeable system as I am planning to get 1 for my MF setup after my "project" is done. Considering those SLR blad system with 2 lens and 3 back for normal shooting. The back can load a roll of color neg or slide, a high speed B&W and a low speed B&W. Lens considering 50mm and 150mm. (Like my SLR system, 24mm and 85mm)

Was eyeing on the kiev 88cm system.

Last edited:
:( Want to try a interchangeable system as I am planning to get 1 for my MF setup after my "project" is done. Considering those SLR blad system with 2 lens and 3 back for normal shooting. The back can load a roll of color neg or slide, a high speed B&W and a low speed B&W. Lens considering 50mm and 150mm. (Like my SLR system, 24mm and 85mm)

We can always try things out later for sure.

The Arax/Hartblei operates exactly the same as the Hasselblad 500 system.
David Haardt | Kiev-88 CM

The back is more reliable, less light leak issues than the Blad. You can have 6 backs also ok because is cheap at about US$45 each.
That is less than the repair fee of a Blad bad back.

Lens, you can get the Pentacon Six Zeiss Flektogon 50mm F4. About US$300, much less than Blad lens.
The Kaleinar 150mm F2.8 had many reviews. About US$150, again much less than the Blad.

Picture quality wise, not too much of a difference. Often cannot tell the diff.
In total, you are looking at a system kit with a Planar type 80mm @ US$600 + US$300 + US$150.
Price are going up high again in Ebay quickly . Better act fast. :eek:

1.Nikkornos ( Toyo 4x5 + 6X9, those who want to shoot night I stay to about 7 plus)
2.zguy ( have to leave ard 6 plus or so)
3.WootSK (Will try to hasten the return of the Arax)
4.SheldonChew ( Vege Bird friend, may loan a Seagull 4B )

You know my experience with the Kiev 88. Haha... A blad is something you can rely on, even NASA uses it for their mission to the moon. Of course, its a modified version but the basic reliable chassis is there.

You know my experience with the Kiev 88. Haha... A blad is something you can rely on, even NASA uses it for their mission to the moon. Of course, its a modified version but the basic reliable chassis is there.

I told you before, the Kiev 88 even if you give me for free I also dont want. :sticktong
The Arax and Hartblei are very different machines.

Blad, unless buying new, has a lot of risk. Many used unit are sold because they were beaten to death already by pros.
The cost of buying used, repair cost (!), lenses, everything might still end up with a problematic system. Many here (like me) went thru it.
So buying a Arax with warranty and improved reliability, at 1/3 the cost, and new, is a better move.

I told you before, the Kiev 88 even if you give me for free I also dont want. :sticktong

Blad, unless buying new, has a lot of risk. Many used unit are sold because they were beaten to death already by pros.
The cost of buying used, repair cost (!), lenses, everything might still end up with a problematic system. Many here (like me) went thru it.
So buying a Arax with warranty and improved reliability, at 1/3 the cost, and new, is a better move.

Oh I see, so it is Arax :)

Returning back to 120 format feels so nostalgic.
Was using the 645 system long time ago. (Long time Vege Bird) Decided to come back with the 6x6 system since I find it more comfortable not thinking about portrait or landscape orientation.

Last edited:
Nikkornos said:

Lualua smells the familar stench of sh*t being stirred.......... lol

Last edited: