Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
King of the continent

Cristiano Ronaldo's scoring spree has not only shot him to the top of the Barclays Premier League's goals chart, he's also leading the way in the continent's top five leagues.

The United number 7's haul of 19 goals in 20 league games is unmatched in England, Italy, France, Spain or Germany. In Italy, the in-form striker is David Trezeguet of Juventus with 15 goals in Serie A, while Karim Benzema of Lyon *- United's next Champions League opponents *- is top scorer in France's Ligue 1, also with 15 goals.

Luis Fabiano of Seville and Real Zaragoza's Diego Milito are both in the running for Spain's Pichichi trophy, awarded to La Liga's top goalscorer, both with 14 goals.

In Germany's Bundesliga, four players are locked on nine goals - Bayern Munich's Luca Toni and Miroslav Klose, Diego of Werder Bremen and Rafael van der Vaart of Hamburg.

Ronaldo's main challenger for the European Golden Boot is Ajax's Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, top scorer in Holland with 20 goals. However, it's Ronaldo's goal haul that has got everyone talking across the continent. No wonder Sir Alex is convinced the Portuguese winger is about to rewrite the record books.

"His goals invite comparison with George Best who became United's highest-scoring winger when he hit 32 goals in the 1967/68 season on his way to being voted European Footballer of the Year," commented the United boss in his Portsmouth programme notes.

"Considering he is scoring at the rate of almost a goal a game, I certainly won't be betting against him joining Best in the record books!"

Now with 27 goals in all competitions, neither will anyone else.

Hail The New King!!!
:devil:

Super stopper van der Sar

Name a major club competition in European football and Edwin van der Sar's probably won it. The Champions League, the UEFA Cup, the European Super Cup, the Intercontinental Cup... he's got medals for them all.

Now 37, the Dutch stopper has also tasted domestic success in both Holland and England. Even so, he remains fiercely competitive and has his sights set on more silverware...

You recently committed yourself to United until 2009. Was it an easy decision?
It didn’t take me long to sign. I had some talks with my family and made sure they were all happy here in Manchester. If you get the opportunity to play at United then you want to take that and I think with the team we have the prospects are very good.

Has your body given you any indications that it wants you to quit?
[Laughs] No, not really! I had a couple of injuries in the first half of the season but that isn’t necessarily to do with age. I feel absolutely fine. I had a small groin injury over Christmas but I’ve recovered from that and now I’m ready for the last four months of the season.

Do you think you'll end your career at United?
It’s looking more and more likely that I’ll never play at another club. When I left Ajax I told the fans that I wanted to finish my career there and that was the plan for a long time. But at 34 I got the chance to play at Old Trafford and here I am competing for big trophies and part of a fantastic team. That’s not something you give away easily.

How much do you help the other goalkeepers at United?
If one of the other goalkeepers asks me a question then I’ll do my best to help them out, but my focus isn’t on preparing somebody else to take my place. At a certain point there’ll be a time when I have to quit, or maybe United will say: ‘That’s enough Edwin, goodbye!’. But until that time I want to keep performing at the top level. I’m here to be United’s goalkeeper; I’m not grooming my successor.

The defence has been solid this season. You’ve hardly touched the ball in some matches…
That’s true, but it’s important I concentrate for the whole 90 minutes - if not for me, then for the defenders. I have to keep talking to them so they stay on their toes. I yell directions or tell them to get up the pitch quickly… that sort of thing. I also need to make sure I’m always an option for them when they get the ball.

It's looking like a three-way race for the title, but is it too early to rule out Liverpool?
It’s not looking too good for them. They have three teams above them and it would take all three to have meltdowns in the last part of the season if they are to win the league. But I think they can still play a part in the championship race; they still have to play all three teams above them and they’re capable of getting good results. At this stage of the season, though, I’d say they have too many points to make up.

United’s goalkeeping coach, Tony Coton, is retiring at the end of the season. Do you have a message for him?
I’m definitely going to miss him. I’ve really enjoyed working with Tony and we’ve had a good understanding when it comes to goalkeeping. I haven’t seen too much footage of him playing but I never get tired of seeing old pictures of him with a moustache!

Can you settle this once and for all: who’s got the hardest shot?
Scholesy and Wayne are definitely right up there but there are a few big-hitters in the team. Nani’s only a little guy but he shoots hard. Some of the lads can really whack the ball but it’s about accuracy as well. Vida’s shots are wild and they all go over the top - he thinks he’s making clearances!

His freekick is getting more n more accurate ...... Should over take Beckham in no time!:devil:

Yeah that was a stunning FK. Almost no swerve. It goes over the wall and dipped into goal. One of the best FK I've seen. :thumbsup:

Man Utd was lousy n shabby last nite. Giving the ball away on SO MANY occasions and no finishing, no final touch. All credits to Spurs as they closed down/closed in on MU so fast that they kept winning the ball in the middle of he park ! Damn....what a sorry sight for all Man Utd fans....hiaz.......so MU is "lucky" to STEAL a point.......

IMHO, SAF was too eager to play Schosey and I believe that upset the midfield rhythm.
He should continue to play Anderson paired with Carrick....???? What do you guys think ?

Buck up and peak towards the run-in period ! Come on you Red Devils !

they should put nani anderson earlier , this hargreaves and looney really cannot make it

Lucky i was away in Msia so no cable to watch last night game or else got high blood pressure. :bsmilie:

I expected Spurs to pose a bigger challenge this time round. Last week defeat still fresh so they know how to play better ag Man U.

Funny thing Man Citeh lose on their home ground :think:

Everytime MU not winning, people said MU played badly....IMO ManU wasn't played that badly....it was Spurs who played so so much better...they were hungrier, more prepared and more determind after their FA cup exit to MU.....their passing, off the ball movement and penetration was as usual....so smooth and threaterning esp Lennon and Berbatov....whenever they get forward, something was going to happend....they succeeded to breach the best defence in EPL twice in subsequent weeks so it definately wasn't due to luck....Honestly I feel we were lucky to get the 1 point :eek:

Then Spurs went up a nod by reshuffling the defence altogether...this is a risky move as doing thing as drastic as that can get backfire as the players have not played together at all and they need time to gel....but I guess they have nothing to loose since they already so shaky previously.....the gamble paid off....Look at Hutton, Woodie, Chimbonda and Dawson.....they were so season and track and stop every single movement MU pressed on....the midfield also very compact....esp Malbrange and Jenas(although I don't like the way he fell on slight touch, but sometime that is necessary to slow things down and break the opponent move), Huddleston was a rock and holding the center firmly which Scholsy or Hargreave can't really organised any sleek passes to the front :sweat:

Two things that went into my mind after the game.

1. MU opposition should have an idea how to stop them playing and I am really worried that they carbon copy...so it will make our up coming game harder and harder....Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was total anonymous until Anderson and Nani appeared....I have said many times, Fergie should dump all the old players like Giggs and Scholes....don't do it for nostalgic reason because modern game needs modern skills and approach and Nani and Anderson have it...they will compliment all the agressive play to the threesome....that's why we were so threaterning whenever they are around :sweat: Carrick and Hargreaves are there to provide the necessary midfield stability so it depends on situation....as for West Brown...well...I fully understand why Fergie will not pay and guaranteed his first team....he is really not up there with the rest....we really need a good cover at the right back to cover our right wing :sweat:

2. Totenham will be a feared force among the 4, I rank them above LFC but too bad they only discover this formation midway through the season, Spurs fans should find some optimism after their subsequent cleansheet....Damn..Spurs defender will be a bargain now in Fantasy league and also very unfortunate they had played gunners and lost both....so not many team can stop them now :lovegrin:

Everytime MU not winning, people said MU played badly....IMO ManU wasn't played that badly....it was Spurs who played so so much better...they were hungrier,

Bro i agree with almost all your views except this part....hee hee. If you watched the game last night, (which I believe you did), (and as I posted earlier saying, all credits to Spurs), one will agree that Man Utd DON'T give away the ball SO MANY times SO EASILY ???

It was by far one of the poorest game I have watched for some time. Even you agreed that
"...Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was total anonymous until Anderson and Nani appeared..."
showed the midfield were losing their battle in th middle of the park....

Well, EVEN if they do win it, like at Reading, that game was almost just as bad ? but they left it very very late n secured a 2 nil win.....

;p

Bro i agree with almost all your views except this part....hee hee. If you watched the game last night, (which I believe you did), (and as I posted earlier saying, all credits to Spurs), one will agree that Man Utd DON'T give away the ball SO MANY times SO EASILY ???

It was by far one of the poorest game I have watched for some time. Even you agreed that
"...Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was total anonymous until Anderson and Nani appeared..."
showed the midfield were losing their battle in th middle of the park....

Well, EVEN if they do win it, like at Reading, that game was almost just as bad ? but they left it very very late n secured a 2 nil win.....

;p

Well...the poor passing was due to the pressure from the Spurs player, it happens when you do not have the time to prepare and weight your shooting....it's very common for any football game.....even the one touch of Tevez and Ronaldo didn't work because most of them were intercepted.....in normal circumstances....these balls should reach their desire destination.....The trio were anonymous because of good play from Spurs, they didn't played particularly bad....if you see how many times Ronaldo were fouled by Spurs you will know how hard is it on that field.....also you can see even Vidic, Ferdinand and VDS have to resort to so many long balls....hoping for a lucky second touch....these are the sign that they can't find space and really running out of ideas :sweat:

The reason I said they did not played badly, firstly the goal, when Nani delivers the corner, the ball swing in with so much pace that all the Spurs defender missed except Tevez....he coolly tuck behind and directed it into the net....it was a very difficult ball to deal with and we managed it....lucky? Definately....I remember that was the only clear cut chance that we had and we converted it.....that means the player has not and will not throw in the tower until the last wisher....also the 7 yellow cards....I really can't remember when was the last time MU have that....it shown the players were as desperate as us....when your tought couln't match your results...silly things like that happenned and will cause you a yellow if a not red card....so they actually given their 100%.....I mean it's not a shame to loose a game but to loose it without a fight...this is the main characteristic of a true champion and MU certainly carry that....at this stage of the game, the 1 point is so important so that MU can challenge Arsenal all the way to the wire :sweat:

Ha ha...ok ok...I shall leave it at that. To each his/her own. To me, was certainly a poor game, by their standards !...Nonetheless.....their undying spirits yielded a point....ah..oh so precious !
Need every point we can get to the finishing line.

Another point I noticed n wanna point out. Not sure if anyone has the same feelings ? THAT referee, Mark Clattenburg ! Damn....whenever it's him, Man Utd NEVER has it easy ? Worse, he CERTAINLY seems an anti-MU fan (ABU) ???? Anyone shares my/the same feelings ???

;p;p

Another point I noticed n wanna point out. Not sure if anyone has the same feelings ? THAT referee, Mark Clattenburg ! Damn....whenever it's him, Man Utd NEVER has it easy ? Worse, he CERTAINLY seems an anti-MU fan (ABU) ???? Anyone shares my/the same feelings ???

;p;p

Yeah...this fella definately not in my fav book....so is Fergie I guess.....but it's the English FA job to decide whether he is fit to be the official or not....On the other hand I also noticed MU players complaint a lot....quite ugly I feel.....like the first goal....I mean sometimes you get the decision but sometimes you don't....just get on with it and concentrating.....this is what I wish to see MU in....but too bad lah...no one is perfect :lovegrin:

Ha ha...ok ok...I shall leave it at that. To each his/her own. To me, was certainly a poor game, by their standards !...Nonetheless.....their undying spirits yielded a point....ah..oh so precious !
Need every point we can get to the finishing line.

;p;p

Seems like Man U get ass luck with Clattenburg around. There matches when he denied penalties ;(

Boss explains Manucho exit

United's January transfer window signing Manucho is joining Greek club Panathinaikos for the remainder of the season.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed on Friday: "We’ve farmed Manucho out to Panathinaikos for the remainder of the season to get some football.

"The set-up at Panathinaikos is Portuguese, the coach there is Portuguese and Manucho speaks their language so he will feel comfortable there.

"We knew Manucho wasn’t going to come to us (straightaway) because he didn’t have the criteria. But we’ll apply for his work permit in the summer and I’m sure we’ll have a good chance. We gambled on him having a good Africa Nations Cup and he's been terrific."

Manucho marked his debut in the tournament with a superb diving header in Angola's 1-1 draw with South Africa. He netted a double in the 3-1 win over Senegal and was part of the side that earned a 0-0 draw with Tunisia and subsequently booked Angola's place in the knock-out stages of the competition.

Manucho believes he will benefit from his loan spell in Greece.

"After the tournament I will return to Luanda and then head to Athens," he told Angola tv . "I am looking forward to playing in Greece before hopefully being a success at Old Trafford."

Reds' assistant manager Carlos Queiroz was the man behind the striker's arrival at United. And Manucho was quick to make an impression on Sir Alex during a three-week trial.

"He is a tall, agile, quick forward and through contacts that Carlos has was brought to our attention around six months ago," explained the United manager.

Boss: We just deserved a point

Sir Alex Ferguson felt United just about deserved to take a point from Saturday's match at Tottenham, having laid siege to the Londoners' goal in the final third of the match.

Although Arsenal regained top spot in the Premier League, two points ahead of the Reds, Sir Alex still saw the 1-1 result at White Hart Lane in a positive light.

"It could be massive," he told MUTV. "We don't stop trying. When we're 1-0 down we'll throw everything at a game, we've always done that. All things being equal, a point's a good point for us, bearing in mind we were 1-0 down at half-time.

"If we'd have got the goal earlier, we'd have won the match. I think in the last 25 minutes we've absolutely battered them. We've deserved a point, but just.

"In the first half I think Tottenham were the better side. They worked their socks off. Under Juande Ramos they're on the upswing, there's no question about that. It was a real difficult game for us. Maybe we've gained a point."

Carlos Tevez's last-gasp leveller secured a point for the Reds, on an afternoon when seven members of the side were cautioned during the match.

Tevez, Edwin van der Sar, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney were all booked, and Sir Alex felt the game suffered as referee Mark Clattenburg struggled to maintain control.

"There's something wrong when Manchester United are getting seven bookings," he said. "For me, the referee should have acted when Cristiano Ronaldo was hacked down in the first half (by Jermaine Jenas). For me it was a red card, he just kicked him from the back.

"He spent 30 seconds talking to Jenas, the referee, and up to half-time it looked as though the whole game was going to go to pieces as a football spectacle. He settled down in the second half but nevertheless for us to be getting seven bookings there's something wrong."

Despite slipping two points behind the Gunners, Sir Alex is keeping a cool head as an absorbing title race wears on.

"Ok, Arsenal are two points ahead of us so there are those two points to claw back sometime, but you've also got to look at the fact that there are some difficult games coming up. It's a hard league, teams will drop points," he said.

Rubbish play by United. This is what opponents are doing to them, pack the midfield and the devils become headless chickens.

very disappointing, gave away too m any balls :thumbsd:... very bad game overall... :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.