JUst a QN? ALAN PHOTO.. GOOD? MY FOOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gymrat76 said:
Have you ever heard of punctuation marks? You know, the little dots and lines such as . , : - ( )

Reading your post gave me a headache :confused:

at least he puts in this !!!!!!

AP - cheap price but poor service
John 3:16 - expensive price but good service.
You have to decide. Go for price or good service. You can't have both.

if you are an ang mo ... you surely get good service anywhere. i witnessed it myself when i went with my cauasian colleague to buy his camera. The salesmen ignored me when i asked to be served. But when my colleague opened his mouth, they served him like slaves.

pglten said:
AP - cheap price but poor service
John 3:16 - expensive price but good service.
You have to decide. Go for price or good service. You can't have both.

tbk said:
if you are an ang mo ... you surely get good service anywhere. i witnessed it myself when i went with my cauasian colleague to buy his camera. The salesmen ignored me when i asked to be served. But when my colleague opened his mouth, they served him like slaves.

You mean MSCOLOR?

Just because you are an 'ANG MO' doesn't mean you get great service. Everytime I walk through Peninsula Plaza or SLS I get hassled as if I am a tourist. Why? Because they think we can be ripped off easily. Would you like this kind of service??

From what I have experienced, I can be ignored in the so-called 'better' photo shops just like everyone else. Now I find I get great service at CP because I have made a real effort to get to know one of the guys who works there. Sometimes I just pop in for a chat, ask his advice. Mutual respect and trust go along way and has nothing to do with the colour of your skin.

being ang moh may mean getting charged higher prices.
with the assumption that it's a tourist passing through with the words "rip me off as i won't be back" stamped on their forehead.

but yeah, sure, will likely get excellent service though. me, i'd rather pay less and get average service. no need excellent service

AP :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Where is AP..i shall now enter the shop if it is that bad...

go with an ang moh friend and get him to buy for u then u pay loh

well i think if angmoh go to their shop the salesman will look @ them like Big White Carrot...can chop chop them and makan. :bsmilie: Phil dun flame hor ;p

Why? Not sure also.....maybe they think angmoh or tourists have more spending power or they look more high class :nono: ? :think:

well i think if angmoh go to their shop the salesman will look @ them like Big White Carrot...can chop chop them and makan. Phil dun flame hor Why? Not sure also.....maybe they think angmoh or tourists have more spending power or they look more high class ?

Haha, won't flame! I guess it's the same in any country - everyone tries to rip tourists off. Guess it's not as bad in Singapore as other SE asian countries. Unfortunately, they assume most 'angmos' (by the way, can't we say Causcasians or Westerners??) are unaware of prices and they can get away with charging a bit more. Can't say I blame them really but it gets frustrating for those of us who reside here.

Phildate said:
Haha, won't flame! I guess it's the same in any country - everyone tries to rip tourists off. Guess it's not as bad in Singapore as other SE asian countries. Unfortunately, they assume most 'angmos' (by the way, can't we say Causcasians or Westerners??) are unaware of prices and they can get away with charging a bit more. Can't say I blame them really but it gets frustrating for those of us who reside here.
hi phil
sad but true....

then again, it depends on the ang moh... i was in mobile phone retail sales previously, and the ang mohs i served were no pushovers. they know the pricing, and they know how to bargain. i guess my customers then were long term expatriates who's been around long enough to know the market.

and being what seems like twice my size, they can be intimidating. when they bang their hands on the table and bellow "B***S**t" because you quote them an unacceptable price, it can make you quiver.

(mind you, i always quoted fair prices. i never believe in ripping my customers off as they're regulars. but somehow, fair is never good enough to all)

Ya, I also kena ketok on 18-3-2005.

I went in to ask for a Nikon UR-E9. The saleperson was so superb! He said, have, S$38!
I told them CP quote me only S$20 but no stock. The sales person said "No stock that's why CP quote me S$20". Then he said that he can sell me for S$28. No choice buy lah.
I was so happy and went back. Surf the net and go to Nikon. The recomended price at Nikon was S$18.

WOW! sure the photo stores will sell lower then that right? Any price from Nikon will be lower by a bit at normal store.

I never go again to AP! Thanks to the saleperson J***n.

adnan said:
Ya, I also kena ketok on 18-3-2005.

I went in to ask for a Nikon UR-E9. The saleperson was so superb! He said, have, S$38!
I told them CP quote me only S$20 but no stock. The sales person said "No stock that's why CP quote me S$20". Then he said that he can sell me for S$28. No choice buy lah.
I was so happy and went back. Surf the net and go to Nikon. The recomended price at Nikon was S$18.

WOW! sure the photo stores will sell lower then that right? Any price from Nikon will be lower by a bit at normal store.

I never go again to AP! Thanks to the saleperson J***n.

Next time do your homework before going into any shop...whatever you're going to buy.

I check 4 different places, including ebay as well as overseas shops before I commit to buying something from the shops, be it CP or AP or MScolour. Then I decide whether to order from overseas or purchase locally.

I hope I'm not sounding too blunt, no offence intended.

Good call, Stephen, agree with you. If buyer did not or could not do homework beforehand (for whatever reason), then too bad, consider it lesson learnt for next time, so that a more expensive error is not made.

With all the shops mentioned in this thread, I've had good and bad experiences with _all_ of them, no exceptions. Could be price, could be service, could be product ... but I know I go in with certain expectations, and they could be different from time to time. I just don't take it personally ... if it's not tolerable, then I don't go back for a very long time. If the shop does not miss my business, then good for them too.

Many of them stay in business for years, despite our perceptions (eg. high prices at John 3:16, rude service at AP, etc), as they are doing something right that keeps a segment of the buying public coming back.

FLiNcHY said:
SIngapore needs a photography superstore online. Like Bhphotovideo.

No need to deal with useless salespeople

Best deals, free shipping since singapore so small,

yeah.... then we can put all these crappy cheats out of business.

hahaha, you obviously haven't been screwed over by B&H before ;-)

EVERY store online or offline has it's boo boos now and then.

That said, neither Alan or Cathay has ever given me a bad experience.

Once I went in AP and ask for the Contax TTL cable for my Contax T3. The salesperson laugh at me and remarked "You still use film camera sure or not?! We dun sell this old stuff!"
He also ask me what other camera I am using so he can recommend me some lenses for me. I told him I owned a Leica M4-P and a M6 and take it out of my bag to show him, he and other customers was stunned!!! Hahaha...
I told him "Dun look down on film camera as they are still very capable!" :devil:

These days, I avoid most shops in SLS and some shops in Lucky Plaza like plague....... :angry:
Each time I got there, I either end up with advise/items I am not interested. Or very cold response....that I dun look like a 'deep sea grouper' on a chopping board. :sticktong

Peninsular Plaza is where I go and if it is not far off from the price I researched, I will just buy it........or I find that guy called Sykestang :bsmilie:

Benign said:
These days, I avoid most shops in SLS and some shops in Lucky Plaza like plague....... :angry:
Each time I got there, I either end up with advise/items I am not interested. Or very cold response....that I dun look like a 'deep sea grouper' on a chopping board. :sticktong

Peninsular Plaza is where I go and if it is not far off from the price I researched, I will just buy it........or I find that guy called Sykestang :bsmilie:

Quite true! There are quite a number of Black shop in the area tat you had mentioned!

Quite happy with most of my experiences at AP (SLS) so far. A rule of thumb for everyone, if you don't know much, ask for Anthony and no one else.. I'm quite serious about this..
Anthony doesn't bother to bargain with you and the first quote is usually his lowest he can give.. He might be able to take another few $10 off if you're buying loads of items (and spending several grand).
For bad experiences, I've been served by some of the other sales personnel and was first quoted $40 for a 55mm HMC-super Hoya filter. After much bargaining, I got it down to $30. The next week I went down with my friends and looked for Anthony, his first quote for the same filter: "$25". No questions asked..

Get to know Anthony as a friend first, after that, just pop by and say hi to him when you're buying anything... Even if he's busy and can't serve you, the other sales personnel will give you good service and a good price once they acknowledge that you're his regular customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.