How u define urself as model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
again, how do you define "proper" agency?

there are well established models who are highly sought for, and they aren't under any kind of agency.

reputable would do for proper in my world. you?

i believe established models must have once had a stepping stone such as a "proper" agency.

none of the above stated agency mah

profession for me is sufficient a term.

if they had written agency, i'd been spot on and qualified to write a dictionary.

don't forget, this is how I am defining models. :)

Profession merely means that income is largely derived from that source.

A professional model or professional photographer means their income is mainly derived from modelling or photography. Whether or not they provide quality services is another question.

this is what i got from dicitonary.com:

5. a person whose profession is posing for artists or photographers.
6. a person employed to wear clothing or pose with a product for purposes of display and advertising.

hmmm. with that, neither of us are wrong lah.

Now you're expanding the scope from "agency models" to models "who were ONCE at some point in their life been in an agency"?

i believe established models must have once had a stepping stone such as a "proper" agency.

Now you're expanding the scope from "agency models" to models "who were ONCE at some point in their life been in an agency"?

aiyah, i lose lah.

you're nit picking at every word. like i've said earlier on, this is how I percieve models.

A professional model or professional photographer means their income is mainly derived from modelling or photography. Whether or not they provide quality services is another question.
that is true.

i think a fairer statement would be that models with established, famous agencies tend to be of a certain standard.

anything else, that's a game of roulette like anything else.

firstly, a model has an AGENT or REPRESENTATIVE (someone who manages her)

secondly, models know how to pose NATURALLY infront of a camera

lastly, models are hot. with or without make up and pp

with that, most of our models in CS don't really qualify as models.

and, models must have a portfolio, not TFCD shot in the past.

In an ideal world, the above may apply. Don't quite understand the last point though,

no TFCD shot in the past? I thought aspiring models always starts with TFCDs, and even

encouraged to get a good photographer who's kind enough to guide as well, if they're lucky.

Nevertheless, established models asks for TFCDs too, to enhance their portfolios, from time

to time but especially during fashion week, etc, when these girls fly in. Even in CS, there's

many lurking.

All are photographers. GWC was a derogatory term coined by people who think they are better than others.

it depends on how you look at it; when someone thinks "i am better than x", it is only human behaviour: to judge.

think about it; when you say that there are good and lousy models, you are passing a judgement, are you not? what may be a lousy model to you may be the ultimate goddess for someone else.

so as far as i can see, i do not find gwc overly derogatory, it has no extremely negative connotations. it mocks, but it doesn't aim to wound. effectively it is a term coined to laugh at ourselves as well.

cheers.

Agreed, don't understand the last point. Maybe what he meant is that only "real models" will pay for a portfolio to be done. He probably doesn't realise that even pro-quality models do many many test shoots, all of which are added to their portfolios.

In an ideal world, the above may apply. Don't quite understand the last point though,

no TFCD shot in the past? I thought aspiring models always starts with TFCDs, and even

encouraged to get a good photographer who's kind enough to guide as well, if they're lucky.

Nevertheless, established models asks for TFCDs too, to enhance their portfolios, from time

to time but especially during fashion week, etc, when these girls fly in. Even in CS, there's

many lurking.

so as far as i can see, i do not find gwc overly derogatory, it has no extremely negative connotations. it mocks, but it doesn't aim to wound. effectively it is a term coined to laugh at ourselves as well.

But a GWC will get angry if you call him a GWC.

He likes to be called Artist or Master or Sifu.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Last edited:

that's why.. :bsmilie:

double standards ftw

Last edited:
i think a fairer statement would be that models with established, famous agencies tend to be of a certain standard.
yup, thanks for paraphrasing what i said.

Agreed, don't understand the last point. Maybe what he meant is that only "real models" will pay for a portfolio to be done. He probably doesn't realise that even pro-quality models do many many test shoots, all of which are added to their portfolios.

i agree real models do many test shoots which are added to their portfolios, but i think it's done after they get established. anyway, i would think that models actually use commissioned shoots instead of TFCDs in their portfolios. yes?

HAHA.

i agree real models do many test shoots which are added to their portfolios, but i think it's done after they get established. anyway, i would think that models actually use commissioned shoots instead of TFCDs in their portfolios. yes?

my friend who is a model, is with a reputable agency in singapore, but in his portfolio, there are tfcd pictures. of course, these are good quality, creative tfcd pictures which showcase his versatility as a model.

Actually that depends. There is no rule, trend or statistic to say that test shoots are only done after people get established. In fact, its more often than not, the other way around.

Also, proportioned wise, test shoots make a larger percentage of the portfolio, simply because those are intended to go into the portfolio. Commissioned shoots may run into copyright and permission problems which is why these photographs are not used as often in the portfolio. When applicable, they are usually used in the form of "tearsheets", where the actual magazine page, or newspaper ad, or the like is "torn out" and then showcased.

HAHA.

every model does TFP/TFCD shoots.
alot of the shoots you see in models' portfolios in established agencies are TFP/TFCD

a model in the generic context, defined by someone who derives consistent income from jobs directly related to modelling (commercial/advertising/editorial), 99% of the time represented by an agency.

Other types of models cater specifically to certain segments but are usually quite specific like "fine art nude model","glamour model".

let's not kid ourselves, you can call yourself a model the same way I can call myself a photographer if I buy a camera, but the social connotations and stereotypes related to a "model" are more in line with a REPRESENTED model rather than a freelance model.

The next time I see another girl call herself a model in an interview without having an agency (phantom carrie diva mannequin ave and a few others),I'm going to take out my coke, hunt down the person and start spurting coke all over her.

In essence , there's a difference between being a model and being a "model".

Mattlock, what if I'm a very established artist with many award winning works, yet I do not derive consistent income from jobs relating to photography. Does that make me any less of a photographer? :) I don't think representation or percentage of income goes towards the description of model or photographer.

However, I would say that just because you buy a camera doesn't mean you're a photographer. If we were to apply that same low bar to models, it will not mean that an unrepresented model is not a model, mayeb something closer to say, a human being who puts on clothes.

Mattlock, what if I'm a very established artist with many award winning works, yet I do not derive consistent income from jobs relating to photography. Does that make me any less of a photographer? :) I don't think representation or percentage of income goes towards the description of model or photographer.

However, I would say that just because you buy a camera doesn't mean you're a photographer. If we were to apply that same low bar to models, it will not mean that an unrepresented model is not a model, mayeb something closer to say, a human being who puts on clothes.

Well said bro...:)

Well then you would be a fine art photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.