How to use iTunes with loaded iPod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleu

Oct 8, 2003
A fren lost her iMac along with iTunes so she bought a new iMac and a new iPod and sold me her old iPod which came with thousands of songs which I would like to keep. I have not connected it to my computer yet as I heard my newly-installed and empty iTunes will erase everything on the iPod. How do I sync the 2 without losing my existing iPod data?

No it won't erase everything.

At most it will popup a dialog which says, this ipod is linked to another computer. Would you like to replace everything on this ipod with the music library on this computer?

At which point you just have to click No.

Then you can go to iPod options and then uncheck "automatically sync" ipod. Once you put it on manual sync, it won't do that.

By the way, is your computer a mac or windows?

not sure about win, but mac got 3rd party software to export songs from ipod -> mac

skinnylatte said:
No it won't erase everything.

At most it will popup a dialog which says, this ipod is linked to another computer. Would you like to replace everything on this ipod with the music library on this computer?

At which point you just have to click No.

Then you can go to iPod options and then uncheck "automatically sync" ipod. Once you put it on manual sync, it won't do that.

By the way, is your computer a mac or windows?

it's windows. i've read many posts on other forums saying it would so i'm very afraid to try. seems like by default, once iTunes (esp newly installed one) finds an iPod connected to it, it will auto sync, no way to uncheck this 'auto sync' feature before this happens, can only uncheck after the 1st sync

Cactus jACK said:
not sure about win, but mac got 3rd party software to export songs from ipod -> mac
Why 3rd party when u can use Terminal? Built-in somemore. ;p

No offence... but how does one lose an iMac?

espn said:
No offence... but how does one lose an iMac?

oops, i meant iBook or whatever the notebooks are called. i'm not a mac person, only know iPod ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.