How to make ultra soft shadows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
i've been trying very very hard to get this to work, somehow i tried every settings i can but i still can't get those soft shadows that is almost non existence... i'm only able to minimise it, can't somehow remove it...

i am using 2 softbox, with 1 flash in each of them, den the object is inside a light tent, & also have a boom stand horizontally mount a flash directly above the light tent, with the flash facing up & a umbrella reflecting the light down...

i tried to lower the flash intensity, but i get dark background, when i power up the flash, i get more shadows but whiter background.. tried faster shutter/ slow shutter, my prosumer cam is only F8... damn... do i really need a DSLR? :sweat:

Trick No. 1: Double diffused light. Flash points into an umbrella, umbrella points at the subject through a big white sheet.

Trick No. 2: Point your flash into a big white reflective surface like a foam board. You will need at least two.

With both methods you will lose a lot of flash power.

Amfibius said:
Trick No. 1: Double diffused light. Flash points into an umbrella, umbrella points at the subject through a big white sheet.

Trick No. 2: Point your flash into a big white reflective surface like a foam board. You will need at least two.

With both methods you will lose a lot of flash power.

trick 1, i think i have used this method unknowingly... cos my flash points to the umbrella den reflect on the light tent, which that layer is the big white sheet...

trick 2, where to find foam board?

btw saw somewhere saying put a plexiglass to support the light tent, den point the light from below & another 1 from above... problem is... where to find a plexiglass?

modified my operating theater now... :D

operating_theater_version_2.sized.jpg

anyway forget about the messy storeroom in my factory... :bsmilie: i never bother to pack it...

i've changed the lights from bottom up (dismantle the light stand's centre shaft & modifed a head to hold on to the flash head), replacing the table to a glass panel & used 2 stands i found in the workshop... can't find a smaller piece of acrylic unless i take a new piece to cut... so have to make do with a smaller piece of glass...

have not tried the result yet... hope it works... wonder if the 3rd light is necessary... if so where should i place it... the umbrella reflect from top, the bottom softbox from below... enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.