how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My 2c view: stealing of bandwidth is the least of your problems when your network is accessible by others. The rogue could (a) hack into your PC(s), copy your files, install trojans, steal bank passwords, etc, or even attempt to (b) sniff all your network transactions over the air. At the very least, an accessible network could cause someone else's PC to infect your PC's with viruses, whether intentionally or not.

All true. :)

It's like the thief can break your padlock, come into your house, clean out your valuables, and shoot you. That's why we try not to keep so much valuables in the house. Even if the thief does come in, all he gets are trinkets. Of course, if you keep lots of valuables in the house, then you should install, an alarm system, CCTV, hire guards, etc.

My point is, don't get obsessed with computer security on your home PC. Get the usual anti-virus, firewall, and set the SSID on your wireless router, etc... None of these are truly secure, but we have to balance security with convenience and cost.

There are other ways to protect your valuables and information. Try not to keep valuable/secret information on your PC. Just burn it and keep it in a DVD-R. Keep 2 separate bank accounts (if you have some wealth). The one with a lot of money, you should minimise fund transfer or other high risk activities, especially to 3rd party accounts. Then keep another account with just enough money in it for transactional purpose, like GIRO, pay bills, online purchases, etc.

People are quite sensible about their physical valuables. All they need to do is to apply the same common sense online.

hi guys..

i am experiencing a very very slow internet connection recently.. it has been happening since a week ago i guess, before it was fine.. i am afraid if there is someone stealing my wifi and taking most of the bandwith there.. :dunno: is there anyway to find out about that?? btw my wifi isnt encrypted actually since i dont know how to do that ;p

thx

just remember to secure your connection. those who don't are just asking for it.

are those who steal bandwidth punishable by law? Maybe set a minimum jail term for 3 months?

the kid who stole bandwidth from an unsecured network was charged, but i forgot what was the sentence. however, if the homeowner does not know how to secure or is too lazy to secure, who's at fault? the unsecured network is just like sugary stuff to ants..

the kid who stole bandwidth from an unsecured network was charged, but i forgot what was the sentence. however, if the homeowner does not know how to secure or is too lazy to secure, who's at fault? the unsecured network is just like sugary stuff to ants..

It can be use as a sort of entrapment too... :cool:

I dun put any security, lure ppl to tap in and then report police... :bsmilie: Wahaha I watch

too many hongkong drama serials liao.

The simplest is the MAC address. Get your PC's IP by typing in MS-DOS "ipconfig /all". Get your PC's MAC Address and add that to your routers list of allowede MAC address. Nevermind the WEP thing. But can can add, but an overkill.

da simplest and effective way for me. :lovegrin:

Sorry dude. You can't do that. The 2.4Ghz (802.11b/g) and 5GHz (802.11a) bands used by WLANs are unlicensed bands (ie. you do not require a license to operate wireless equipment using these bands). However there can be no exclusive use of these frequencies in the band for a user or service. Therefore the government or any regulation agency CANNOT collect license fees from you.

Why dont they make wireless like TV license? Every hosuehold just pay $110 per year and use the money to wireless up the whole Singapore, so no one need to "steal" the bandwidth.

but padlocking / locking your doors makes it more difficult for intruders, doesn't it? that's the idea behind wireless security - make it difficult so that hackers give up in the process.

No security measure is foolproof. We padlock the doors outside our house even though we know that someone can just bring a big clipper and cut it. But we padlock it anyway.

Internet access is so common that most people will not waste time to hack into your network just for that. But if you leave your door wide open... and if someone goes into your house and eat your food... even if you are not the one committing the crime, you look a little foolish. :)

i just triedout to configer the encryption again, and now can do it already.. previously i just try to configure using the cd that given with the router, now i try using the browser and can.. :D thx for your replies guys..

but padlocking / locking your doors makes it more difficult for intruders, doesn't it? that's the idea behind wireless security - make it difficult so that hackers give up in the process.

Exactly my point. That's why I say that we padlock our doors anyway.... even though it is not foolproof.

i dun bother about SSID hidding and mac control. I just use WPA2 and if the fellow still able to get my bank password (which i only do on my wired PC), I kowtow to him, but he still need a padlock cutter to get my 2FA...

Where you live? Maybe I help you(only in CCK or Yew Tee only) ;p

actually i think it's the fault of the person who happen to walk past and accuse the boy of stealing the wifi. Picking on a small kid on a bad day?
(it wasn't the home owner who prosecuted the boy correct? correct me if im wrong. bit blur...hehe)

Just because an ATM machine is spewing money onto the ground doesn't give you the rights to pick it up and keep the money for yourself. Similarly, just because your neighbour leaves his gates and doors open does not give you the right to walk in and take his stuff.

Just because something is tempting it does not mean that you have the right to let yourself be tempted. Human beings are not ants, we have the ability to differentiate right from wrong. The popular phrase "Finders keepers" does not apply in real life and is not supported by the law.
:nono:

_

no finders keepers...but his signal is not held within his own premises, it spilled over into public area, how to control like that. Imagine you have lots of gold bars with your name inscribed, you don't have space at home to keep it, you put in your common corridor, how can one expect passerbys to ignore those gold, even though it has your name on it?
:sweatsm:

if it yours, find some way to keep it, don't wait for the law to handle such trivial matters. We know such things, usually get blown out of hand, and become a joke.

"oh singapore!! yah yah i know..the chewing gum, no smoking and the wifi issue nation!!"

lol
:sweat:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Guess what..the more i look at the title the more it read as:
"how to find out if theres someone stealing my wife?"

no finders keepers...but his signal is not held within his own premises, it spilled over into public area, how to control like that. Imagine you have lots of gold bars with your name inscribed, you don't have space at home to keep it, you put in your common corridor, how can one expect passerbys to ignore those gold, even though it has your name on it?

if it yours, find some way to keep it, don't wait for the law to handle such trivial matters. We know such things, usually get blown out of hand, and become a joke.

"oh singapore!! yah yah i know..the chewing gum, no smoking and the wifi issue nation!!"

lol

That's just it, even though it is in a public area, so long as the item does not belong to us, we are not supposed to take it and keep it as our own. Being unable to resist temptation is not a valid reason; we know it does not belong to us so just don't take it. If we endorse the notion that "the other party put temptation in our path so we gave in" is alright, we would be no better than the rapists who blame their victims for not dressing modestly.

But, all is not lost. The law does allow for found items to become the property of the finder if it is properly handed over to the authorities and the rightful owners do not claim them after a certain period of time. So if you can harness and store the "lost" Wi-Fi signals and hand them over to the authorities, you might claim them and try using them later...wahahaha! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

_

lol
Why dont u "steal" the Starhub Cable TV signal and see whether they sue u or not?

Why dont u "steal" the Starhub Cable TV signal and see whether they sue u or not?

That's abit different right? You have to break the encryption to do that. That time a guy wrote in to papers about mooching, he gave an interesting analogy. Supposed ur neighbor has an apple tree in his garden, but the tree extends to ur place and apples drop there. Whose apples? If his, can u say that he's infringing your property? heh

btw that boy who got caught, i bet he prob wun mind the boys home stay, but 18 mths no net...i rather kill myself:bsmilie:

Guess what..the more i look at the title the more it read as:
"how to find out if theres someone stealing my wife?"

your codings see too much liao,time for a break.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.