How to continue with photography in the army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wah! wana compare ah? I was doing local purchase and my company was an external unit.
Morning parade over, take minbus go out liao. Happy come back before 5 for dismiss parade, otherwise come back just after dismiss parade. Saturday give chance a bit, one or two short trip then come back. A bit siong on the pockets for luch la, but 80% of the time half asleep in the vechicle. Even the officers eyes red red but can't do anything. :bsmilie:
Well OFFICIAL bookout time was 1730 hrs.
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Well said. Maybe spend more time with your cam now, do more walk-arounds. See if you'll end up with the same composition, same framing, same emotions, etc before you click the shutter after you ORD. If all that has changed, than you have arrived, and welcome to the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...

Learn to use your eyes as a camera in the army.

When out of the army use the camera as your eyes to download the images. :)

But most important of all, during those "ice breaker" session, let people (of cos must be people who dictates your life - PS, PC, OC, etc) know you are into photography, and volunteer to be the Heritage OIC (basically camera man). Better yet, see what your unit (after BMTC) has for their Heritage corner, give ideas/ suggestions on how you wanna improve it.

Dun say PC/ OC. Maybe CO will also allow you to bring your cam, sign LOA for you, etc... Of cos must be prepared to do more work. When your platoon mates are sleeping, you may be "shopping" (photoshopping that is...:bsmilie:)

Wah! wana compare ah? I was doing local purchase and my company was an external unit.
Morning parade over, take minbus go out liao. Happy come back before 5 for dismiss parade, otherwise come back just after dismiss parade. Saturday give chance a bit, one or two short trip then come back. A bit siong on the pockets for luch la, but 80% of the time half asleep in the vechicle. Even the officers eyes red red but can't do anything. :bsmilie:

haha.. super chao king! :bsmilie:

Why can't you have time to shoot when u're in the army? I basically started serious photography while I was doing my NS. And no I'm not some clerk, etc. I'm combat personnel in a combat unit (stay-in).

In fact, there may be chances to shoot army stuff too! I covered my bty doing the 21-gun salute during NDP, shot some event when some big shots from other countries came to view our "gear", shot my live-firing exercise in NZ. You do need special permission first though, especially with the tight security regarding cameras these days.

Yup that's what I did too. Covered parades, NDP, visiting personnel, among other random stuff in camp. you'll be surprised how happy they'll be to have you VOLUNTEER your services. (i.e. on top of your existing duties)

better still, can tfcd here and there..

Cannot la. No standard. Well, got standard is rare and few far between.

Average weight and age of army zar bor (military or not) estimated to be roughly 60 kg and 46 respectively.

Then you have to learn to carry mountains. :bsmilie:
=(

In Singapore, there are not many mountains. Most of the mountains are like Mt Faber, not really a hill, nowhere near mountain. But then still have to call mountain lor.

I think i pretty much have first hand experience in this area. things you need to know.

Photog post usually exist in the Units, ETI and MDC. Most other unit will not need a photographer or unit photographer. Cos now a days during big events Pioneer will dispatch a photographer to the event along with the Film Unit. Unless you kena arrow to do the work in say your unit parade. The post is however usually given to some specs and not so much the men.

If you are in a Pes A,B position. Forget about it and shoot only weekends. Cos these kinda jobs belong to the service side more often then not under Public Affairs. And you will need to be of Pes Status C and below.

On volunteering your work. The army saying goes "smart can alr, dun act smart", i'd recommend you to not volunteer. I tried it, shot for one event, and had to face almost 5 months of hell from my seniors in my real post. So think really hard about it.

:

good advice......if you are serious and don't mind paying the "price", let your officer/sgt/cpl everyone under the sky know that you love photography and has a good camera.......show off your photos........ if you have weekend outside camp gathering, bring canmera along and show off skills.....one fine day, your officer/sgt will come knocking on your door to ask you to do the photography because the official army photographers can never be around all the time, so they are likely to give you the permission .......now the price......they will ask you to do photography for their private affairs as well, 21st birthday, daughter get married lah, and its for free, you dare to say NO to officers/sgt by then???????? So think carefully.....

yah ... then your lovely staff seargent comes treat you to kopi one day and ask you to shoot his wedding free ... :bsmilie:

Did you receive a badge with a camera icon on it from the Minister of Defence in the National Day for your contribution?

Haiz...keeping this serious, all I can say to the TS is, there are consequences for volunteering your skills and they're usually not good. This is why I say I got more than what I bargained for.

Considering I'm going to ORD tomorrow, I've gotten this impression from the time spent in army: people with talents (especially multiple talents) are highly sought-after. If they find out what you're really good at, they'll milk you for what it's worth. Expect to be doing it more often than you'll like, and expect to do other things besides that. All of these are outside your job scope. And no, there will be no credit for it. No badge, no word of thanks, no extra pay, no off, no barrack rest...

If you are concerned about getting rewarded for your efforts, then forget it. BUT, if you want to remain active in photography, hone your skills, photograph willing subjects, get the chance to contribute, all at no monetary cost to you, then I say, go for it.

Oh, need I also mention that being a photographer makes all that training much more fun and worthwhile? Have a think over it. But the bottom line is, no, you do not need to give up photography while in NS.

I do not regret volunteering to be a photographer during my time of service. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still do everything the way I'd already done before.

If you are in a Pes A,B position. Forget about it and shoot only weekends. Cos these kinda jobs belong to the service side more often then not under Public Affairs. And you will need to be of Pes Status C and below.

Wah Loa eh! Pes C & below can shoot with camera but cannot shoot with rifle!!!! Sometimes photographer equipment much more heavier than FBO! also must be able to run around and get to odd locations to shoot! Worse than commando, cause always in enermy territory.
:sticktong :angry: If they can carry Full gear and shoot, they should jolly well be in the combat service man!

if u dun have a cam to shoot, just practise shooting on rifle when u go range

later when u use the camera 2 years later, u will be marksman can manual focus faster than Mark III :thumbsup:

Cannot la. No standard. Well, got standard is rare and few far between.

Average weight and age of army zar bor (military or not) estimated to be roughly 60 kg and 46 respectively.
shooting this type need skills, can not swim don't blame swimming trunk too big.

I think i pretty much have first hand experience in this area. things you need to know.

Photog post usually exist in the Units, ETI and MDC. Most other unit will not need a photographer or unit photographer. Cos now a days during big events Pioneer will dispatch a photographer to the event along with the Film Unit. Unless you kena arrow to do the work in say your unit parade. The post is however usually given to some specs and not so much the men.

On volunteering your work. The army saying goes "smart can alr, dun act smart", i'd recommend you to not volunteer. I tried it, shot for one event, and had to face almost 5 months of hell from my seniors in my real post. So think really hard about it.

I have an LOA for all my stuff. But IT DOES NOT WARRANT you to bring in your equipment as and when you want. You need to have a specific purpose and a specific place of shooting and be verified by your unit security officer before you are allowed access into the camp or else you are liable to be charged. (its a little sth i learnt when i took a RP course before)

If you are Pes C status. hmmmmm let me know. maybe can speak to the director of film unit. But most of the time its not photog involve but video.:bsmilie:

agreed! i think no chance if you're fighting fit...otherwise you've gotta be talent spotted for pioneer/army news which means you prob need quite good journalistic skills (writing etc.) too. Pes b and above virtually zero chance.

Why can't you have time to shoot when u're in the army? I basically started serious photography while I was doing my NS. And no I'm not some clerk, etc. I'm combat personnel in a combat unit (stay-in).

In fact, there may be chances to shoot army stuff too! I covered my bty doing the 21-gun salute during NDP, shot some event when some big shots from other countries came to view our "gear", shot my live-firing exercise in NZ. You do need special permission first though, especially with the tight security regarding cameras these days.

I didn't know you were in arty too :bsmilie:

#1. Plan your time during weekends, there's plenty of time to meet up with friends and commit to photography.

#2. Never volunteer to be a photographer for your unit no matter the promise of off in lieus. They never come.

#3. Once detected, you will be misused and worst getting screwed up-down-left-right-centre if the photos turn out bad or you miss out COL XXX/ LTC YYY/ MAJ ZZZ.

#4. SAF. Serve and F off. Do enough to stay out of trouble. Do not do more, there will always be more work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.