How to continue with photography in the army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot in camp lah. Just bring a small compact camera in lah.

bring in camera can... go DB loh for 7 years loh.... make friends with all the 7 day adventists. A lot of Bros there! ;p :sweatsm:

Request for LOA (Letter Of Authorization) to get your stuff cleared... Then people chiong with one gun, you chiong with two.... Dun shoot with the wrong weapon!

use shoebox make 1 pinhole camera... LOL...;) remember to take nasty PC & RSM tekan pple... & then post in STOMP LOL...

Unless the army has changed very greatly, during the BMT period, the first thing on most people's mind would be to get any amount of sleep they can. I still wonder how those fanatic christians can manage to stay awake to read their bible using a torch light when everyone else got knocked out cold.
Also, the very last thing you want to do is bring your expensive camera (if you're allowed) or anything delicate for that matter into the camp and risk damage caused by someone else's carelessness or spite.

No reason why you cannot continue photography even while serving NS. Like some others here, I got really serious with photography only after enlistment...after BMT, to be more specific.

I still wound up staying in most of the time because I was staying too far away from camp to return home on the weekdays. Good news is that if you get an LOA from the appropriate authority in camp, you will be allowed to take your camera equipment in and out of camp. The photos must stay within the camp however.

The key is to continually find opportunities to 'sell' your hobby. That is to say, make a conscious effort to mention that you have an interest in photography and would like to contribute to the production of presentations, publications in the like. I did that and became one of the chief photographers in camp. Of course, I then got more than what I bargained for... :sweatsm:

Point is...don't worry. There's always outlets and openings for photographers. Heck, nearly everyone wants a photo of themself while in service.

No reason why you cannot continue photography even while serving NS. Like some others here, I got really serious with photography only after enlistment...after BMT, to be more specific.

I still wound up staying in most of the time because I was staying too far away from camp to return home on the weekdays. Good news is that if you get an LOA from the appropriate authority in camp, you will be allowed to take your camera equipment in and out of camp. The photos must stay within the camp however.

The key is to continually find opportunities to 'sell' your hobby. That is to say, make a conscious effort to mention that you have an interest in photography and would like to contribute to the production of presentations, publications in the like. I did that and became one of the chief photographers in camp. Of course, I then got more than what I bargained for... :sweatsm:

Point is...don't worry. There's always outlets and openings for photographers. Heck, nearly everyone wants a photo of themself while in service.

yah ... then your lovely staff seargent comes treat you to kopi one day and ask you to shoot his wedding free ... :bsmilie:

Did you receive a badge with a camera icon on it from the Minister of Defence in the National Day for your contribution?

I think i pretty much have first hand experience in this area. things you need to know.

Photog post usually exist in the Units, ETI and MDC. Most other unit will not need a photographer or unit photographer. Cos now a days during big events Pioneer will dispatch a photographer to the event along with the Film Unit. Unless you kena arrow to do the work in say your unit parade. The post is however usually given to some specs and not so much the men.

If you are in a Pes A,B position. Forget about it and shoot only weekends. Cos these kinda jobs belong to the service side more often then not under Public Affairs. And you will need to be of Pes Status C and below.

On volunteering your work. The army saying goes "smart can alr, dun act smart", i'd recommend you to not volunteer. I tried it, shot for one event, and had to face almost 5 months of hell from my seniors in my real post. So think really hard about it.

I have an LOA for all my stuff. But IT DOES NOT WARRANT you to bring in your equipment as and when you want. You need to have a specific purpose and a specific place of shooting and be verified by your unit security officer before you are allowed access into the camp or else you are liable to be charged. (its a little sth i learnt when i took a RP course before)

If you are Pes C status. hmmmmm let me know. maybe can speak to the director of film unit. But most of the time its not photog involve but video.:bsmilie:

Learn to use your eyes as a camera in the army.

When out of the army use the camera as your eyes to download the images. :)

terminator? T800? :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

yah ... then your lovely staff seargent comes treat you to kopi one day and ask you to shoot his wedding free ... :bsmilie:

cheap labour! :thumbsup:

nah. book out is still saturday morning after bfast.

That's in BMT izzit?

In my unit last time, before this 5-day work week thing was implemented, our sat book out was after lunch. So what we did was make lunch as early as possible (we would sometimes be at the cookhouse waiting for them to open. lol).

If it was a sat off, we would book out after dinner on the friday night itself.

But of course all book out timings are dependent on how well the obligatory area-cleaning and subsequent inspection turns out. If very jialat then end up must do some exercise before booking out. :eek:

to do wat u wanna do in army, you need to learn how to carry balls first..

I did formation audits, but with issued gear. It was a good break from the office.

Depends on your camp.

When I became a clerk, book out time was er, 5:30 PM every day. Song bo.

Wah! wana compare ah? I was doing local purchase and my company was an external unit.
Morning parade over, take minbus go out liao. Happy come back before 5 for dismiss parade, otherwise come back just after dismiss parade. Saturday give chance a bit, one or two short trip then come back. A bit siong on the pockets for luch la, but 80% of the time half asleep in the vechicle. Even the officers eyes red red but can't do anything. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.