High ISO Noise: Questions & Observations

By that logic , you can close your eyes and you won't see any noise either. Ignorance is bliss.

so how often do you need iso6400?

we seem to have a multitude of lost souls who spend their lives in a dark place most of the time, always looking at noise, noise, noise. and they also happen to own large buildings.. can print big big iso6400 banners to hang on the buildings. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
Why is there still the perception that Sony DSLR = noisy high iso??

I would say it all boils down to how you meter the scene. If you underexpose too much and try to recover in RAW noise will come out.

so how often do you need iso6400?

we seem to have a multitude of lost souls who spend their lives in a dark place most of the time, always looking at noise, noise, noise. and they also happen to own large buildings.. can print big big iso6400 banners to hang on the buildings. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Yah but we're talking about noise objectively.

No we're not. This is an over-hyped, over-rated non-issue.

You want to be objective? Then answer what % of your shots is at ISO 3200 or 6400.

Noise is subjective. Some love noise. Some hates it. Some do anything and everything to remove them, while other adds them.

Noise is subjective. Some love noise. Some hates it. Some do anything and everything to remove them, while other adds them.

No! noise is noise , whether u like it or not is a different matter.

The main factors are pixel density and manufacturing process. The BIONZ is the JPEG engine, it cleans it up a bit, sets your user settings like white balance, etc, and processes the RAW file into a JPEG.

The A550 sensor is different from the A850/A900/A700. It's a new generation of sensor.

What I don't get is why everyone is so obsessed with High ISO noise when they will mainly be shooting at ISO 200-400 anyway?

i guess no one like to use hi iso... but when i shoot after sunset or in shade... sure need to use hi iso... else all the human become ghost haha...

There's different kinds of noise too.

Yes but it's still noise . You guys are just going round the bush. Some people are concerned with performance in low light , some are not. I understand where you guys are coming from. I'm in between.

Yes but it's still noise . You guys are just going round the bush. Some people are concerned with performance in low light , some are not. I understand where you guys are coming from. I'm in between.

I think, it is you who miss the point. But is OK.

People who are seriously still complaint abt technical aspect of what the camera can and can't do generally need to focus on photography more.

Unless u want to be a camera technician then start worry abt your pics not the gear.

I shoot available light only and hardly shoot anything below iso400. Iso 800 is like 80% or more. Iso 1600 and 3200 is not uncommon.

I have none of my client come back and complaint and i am not exactly cheap.

If technical aspect is still an issue, u are not ready to enjoy your photography.

For wedding, i dont shoot with flash either, none of my clients have any quality issue.

Complaining abt noise or comparing noise with other make is rather pointless.

Hope u enjoy your photography more soon.

Hart

People who are seriously still complaint abt technical aspect of what the camera can and can't do generally need to focus on photography more.

Unless u want to be a camera technician then start worry abt your pics not the gear.

I shoot available light only and hardly shoot anything below iso400. Iso 800 is like 80% or more. Iso 1600 and 3200 is not uncommon.

I have none of my client come back and complaint and i am not exactly cheap.

If technical aspect is still an issue, u are not ready to enjoy your photography.

For wedding, i dont shoot with flash either, none of my clients have any quality issue.

Complaining abt noise or comparing noise with other make is rather pointless.

Hope u enjoy your photography more soon.

Hart

First of all , who are you to dictate what photography is? I enjoy my photography in my own way. Please don't impose your standards on others. I can accept that you don't think noise is important , can you then accept that others like me that think noise is impt?

Nah... I use flash better.

Good for you , some people don't like to use flash. Available light is better for me, thus camera that can take good pictures in low light is advantageous for us.

First of all , who are you to dictate what photography is? I enjoy my photography in my own way. Please don't impose your standards on others. I can accept that you don't think noise is important , can you then accept that others like me that think noise is impt?

I dont dictate what is photography. I can accept your point of view that noise is important to you.

What i simply point out is indulging yourself in the nitty gritty abt the gear is nothing more than a view of camera gear operator. I am sure you would like to be called photographer rather than cameraman ( person who is operating the camera).

Camera gear is a tool.

according to definition
Photography is the process, activity and art of creating still or moving pictures by recording radiation on a non-sensitive medium, such as a photographic film, or an electronic sensor. Light patterns reflected or emitted from objects activate a sensitive chemical or electronic sensor during a timed exposure, usually through a photographic lens in a device known as a camera that also stores the resulting information chemically or electronically.

So i hope there is a distinction between photography and the gear.

So my initial post is to differetiate between the two and i am surprise about your reaction.

If you insist that being a camera operator is the way you prefer to enjoy your so call photography, you have every right to do so.

Regards,

Hart

Good for you , some people don't like to use flash. Available light is better for me, thus camera that can take good pictures in low light is advantageous for us.

I personally has no preference on whether must shoot with flash or no flash. I just learn to understand, if the condition require flash, I on the flash; if the condition does not require flash, I don't on it.