High ISO Noise: Questions & Observations

biggorilla

Nov 4, 2009
Somewhere near you.Look behind
Hi All,

Ok here is the question: What processes the Noise generated? Is it the Exmor or the Bionz?

I am asking this after some stuff I brought up in another thread relating to A900 being Discontinued. I mentioned that once sony releases a semi-pro body to replace the A700 and if they rectify the High Iso noise issue that I would get it. And i was like wondering how come they havent fixed this issue yet. I talked to a friend that owns an A900 and he told me that even his ISO was noisy.

So yesterday I headed down to Wisma becoz they have an A850 there. I tested it at ISO 6400 and it was preety noisy. I dare say worse than my A700. Anyway, I then just for fun tried out the A550. Set it to 6400 too and I was shocked to find that it was virtually Noise free.

SO what is going on here is my next question. I mean the A550 has a single Bionz whereas the 850 is a dual bionz. Or is the clamied new generation exmor sensor on the A550 different from the A850? If so and if i was not imagining the difference in noise level, then Sony may have very well resolved the noise issue to some extent. And we may very well be seeing some really really really good semi-pro and pro bodies coming out. Bodies that could compete and be on par with Canon and Nikons well founded claim at low noise at high ISO.

The main factors are pixel density and manufacturing process. The BIONZ is the JPEG engine, it cleans it up a bit, sets your user settings like white balance, etc, and processes the RAW file into a JPEG.

The A550 sensor is different from the A850/A900/A700. It's a new generation of sensor.

What I don't get is why everyone is so obsessed with High ISO noise when they will mainly be shooting at ISO 200-400 anyway?

The main factors are pixel density and manufacturing process. The BIONZ is the JPEG engine, it cleans it up a bit, sets your user settings like white balance, etc, and processes the RAW file into a JPEG.

The A550 sensor is different from the A850/A900/A700. It's a new generation of sensor.

What I don't get is why everyone is so obsessed with High ISO noise when they will mainly be shooting at ISO 200-400 anyway?

Well I guess its about times in the evening/night when the lighting is low and you cant use a flash and need the shutter speed so having low noise at high ISO helps.

actually i shoot a lot at 1600, and would love a clean 3200 and 6400 (moving objects in low light indoors without flash)

that said, i'm ok with my a850 up to 3200

Well I guess its about times in the evening/night when the lighting is low and you cant use a flash and need the shutter speed so having low noise at high ISO helps.

Especially Art performances that doesnt allow flash photography . Then again , theres a limitation to high iso usage , if its a fast paced performances , cant really shoot at the optimum shutter speed eventually. Not to mention no matter how clean the high ISO can be , still lose to low ISO quality.

I have A550, I rarely push up my ISO more than 800. Most of the time, only push it up more just to demo the result to others when they asked. :D

I have A550, I rarely push up my ISO more than 800. Most of the time, only push it up more just to demo the result to others when they asked. :D

THe A550 really can perform, only reason i dont get it is because of the feel in my hands. It just feels too light for me and also feels plasticky. I own the A700 and it feels, and to quote someone, like a brick in my hands, which is a good thing to me.

No matter how, the quality of high ISO (>1600) will never meet your expectation if you intend to print them in life size. Or rather do you print them out in the first place?

If you just print 4R or view on the biggest LCD monitor, any camera (including P&S) can still make it with high ISO.

Back to your topic, yes high ISO does help to bring up the shutter speed, but you will only need high shutter speed if you shoot things that are moving quite fast, like kids or pets.

If you notice at wedding dinners or events, even pros with FF cameras still uses external flash. How come they don't use high ISO then? Cos no matter how good it is, high ISO will never look as good as low ISO, whether JPEG or RAW.

If you find it's too dark to have a reasonable shutter speed or the objects are moving too fast, then it's time to think probably it's too dark to make out good pictures in the first place, or it actually reckons you to use a flash or take a video instead.

THe A550 really can perform, only reason i dont get it is because of the feel in my hands. It just feels too light for me and also feels plasticky. I own the A700 and it feels, and to quote someone, like a brick in my hands, which is a good thing to me.

Then look out closely for the A700 replacement then. It should have the new sensor technology like the NEX (with fantastic high ISO) and able to take full HD video in a magnesium body. :thumbsup:

Some rumors also state that A550 replacements are coming with NEX sensors in them.

If you own A900, you would find a light camera is a great set for walkabout and simple trip. :D

Then look out closely for the A700 replacement then. It should have the new sensor technology like the NEX (with fantastic high ISO) and able to take full HD video in a magnesium body. :thumbsup:

Some rumors also state that A550 replacements are coming with NEX sensors in them.

A7xx has been shown at PMA, but Sony seems rather quiet about its actual spec. Not sure what is going on. Rumours say, it has something to do with the video capability.

All these rumour should just treat as rumours la. Don't get too over excited about it.

A7xx has been shown at PMA, but Sony seems rather quiet about its actual spec. Not sure what is going on. Rumours say, it has something to do with the video capability.

All these rumour should just treat as rumours la. Don't get too over excited about it.

Of course rumors is just rumors. But looking at how NEX is performing, it really give you an insight of how good the A700 replacement is going to perform right?

If you compare the a550 and the canon 7d for example. At 12800 ISO , the sony is still better.

Interesting i didn't know this until i did the comparison at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

I'm sure the a900 can outperform but it needs better noise reduction algorithm which they introduced to their raw software recently but it has yet to be implemented in their firmware.

Anyways i prefer carrying my heavy a900 to a light camera anytime , i keep a sony hx5v for video or the stacking functions it has.

I think they don't want to let too much of the cat out of the bag... ;)

Hi All,

I am asking this after some stuff I brought up in another thread relating to A900 being Discontinued. I mentioned that once sony releases a semi-pro body to replace the A700 and if they rectify the High Iso noise issue that I would get it.

I thought high ISO noise control of A700 was pretty decent? the following pic are taken on my A700, @ ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400 respectively. High ISO NR = High.

ISO 1600
4623645866_baec460c4e_b.jpg

ISO 3200
4623643728_ea39986487_b.jpg

ISO 6400
4623644888_51c37e6cc3_b.jpg

Sony did a good job in my opinion... :lovegrin:

I am waiting for the A700 replacement.. I dun really need to have a FF body

I thought high ISO noise control of A700 was pretty decent? the following pic are taken on my A700, @ ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400 respectively. High ISO NR = High.

ISO 1600
4623645866_baec460c4e_b.jpg

ISO 3200
4623643728_ea39986487_b.jpg

ISO 6400
4623644888_51c37e6cc3_b.jpg

Sony did a good job in my opinion... :lovegrin:
the noise is clearly visible on the red thingy at the top right hand.
if you are viewing the picture on a small screen, you don't have to concern about noise. but if you are viewing it at higher resolution(1,920x1,080), you will see the big different.

the noise is clearly visible on the red thingy at the top right hand.
if you are viewing the picture on a small screen, you don't have to concern about noise. but if you are viewing it at higher resolution(1,920x1,080), you will see the big different.

Yeah..i am not trying to say its noiseless. the point to take is that if we do not pixel peep and do not do large prints, the noise is actually not very significant. and if we run some noise reduction program, the result may be even better. ;)

Yeah..i am not trying to say its noiseless. the point to take is that if we do not pixel peep and do not do large prints, the noise is actually not very significant. and if we run some noise reduction program, the result may be even better. ;)

By that logic , you can close your eyes and you won't see any noise either. Ignorance is bliss.

is got teh tripodz to help chiu with datz

btw, with such lighting where you can't use flash, i bet you money that the pictures will come out with poor contrast etc.

high iso clean so what - DR and detail will always be inferior to lower iso.